Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Ea & Se England

jam1

Posted

A suggested by TEITS---thread for E Anglia/SE Starting 1-2-09

I have a suggestion to the mods and I would of sent a PM but to be honest I don't know who to send it to.

Anyway because we are now getting very close to the event the forum is likely to become increasingly busy especially tomorrow night. So with this in mind I was thinking whether we should set up regional threads to discuss the potential and also once the snow starts appearing on the radar tomorrow. Maybe a thread for E Anglia/SE, another for Lincs/NE England/N England, Wales, Midlands,SW England etc.

Just a thought anyway.

Fingers crossed that the snow will start to fall.... :lol:

Posted

Yes i agree i have posted on here somewhere my ideas for the regional threads etc.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Sunday night is looking very good for us! , we've had over 10cm of snow in a 6hr snow event from a e/ne before :D

Posted

I expect the first of the snow flurries to begin to fall tomorrow morning, becoming heavier and more persistent throughout the day, with some beefy showers by evening, giving the potential for several cm's to accumulate in places across the area.

Here's the FAX chart for 6am tomorrow: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/wz/pics/brack0.html

Posted

Afternoon fellow ea/sa

certainly turning colder out there, wind very harsh

All i want out of this snow event is the chance for my kids to experence proper snow where they can make a snow man= they have never seen laying snow, well maybe a dusting on the roads :D

Posted

pmsl just did the regional thread thing on the weatheroutlook and they removed them :D:D:D

Posted
WRT to the cold front - the BBC/METO are suggesting no precip on it, just the start line of the cloud to drift in? Is there any chance of precip on it?

Not a lot, its the convection that will take place following the cold front as the upper cold pool then moves in. :D

Posted

Is the cold front due to move in during the afternoon?

Posted

Ah good stuff! , i'm still trying to get my ordnance survey height for herne / canterbury / tyler hill!

Most just give an average of 50m but i want exact

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Looking at that 6am fax chart and the exact vector of the wind I can see that all coastal areas in the whole area could expect to see snow flurries fairly quickly tomorrow afternoon - including the SE coast with a fractional on shore tilt. During the even shorter easterly earlier in Jan, I was down on the seafront at Lydd and there was strong convection with 'whiteout' snow lines falling just a mile or so out to sea, but with the wind not onshore the showers were running parallel with the coast and just the odd light flurry in the air on the coastal strip itself. This time, with deeper and more unstable cold air, I think that snow showers will break out quite readily and move inland.

I can see snow showers perhaps penetrating to the coast and beyond and running eastwards across south kent and east sussex, whilst the snow showers on the northern and eastern facing coasts of Kent and Essex and East Anglia start to merge together into bands of snow, moving inland, and the whole lot joins up overnight Sunday and into Monday.

From an IMBY point of view I usually am downsteam of snow streamers that track from the NE Kent coast through Canterbury and Ashford. I live further up the A28 now towards Tenterden.

Posted

Right all posted this last night but here it is and i will update you later this evening. ;)

Evening had john the local gritter close friend off mine down here he pulled up and said to me bet your loveing the latest on the weather i said whats going to happen he has had a meeting with the local area managers and they have been told london could see its biggest snowfall in 14 years especially where i am in the south western suberbs i said how much are we looking at he said anything from 6cm upwards could well be 14cms easy. He said he will give me a bell tommrow and keep me informed. so i will keep you all informed this is getting serious now for these parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

hi all im confused im begging for snow but im hearing that there will be mainly sleet and rain?????? anyone have any views on this???

i live in DEAL Nr Dover unsure what my asl is.

Posted
hi all im confused im begging for snow but im hearing that there will be mainly sleet and rain?????? anyone have any views on this???

Hi it looks as if it may be a bit off sleet on the fringes off the coast at the moment but this could and will change the mild sector may trend back westwards that is the current feeling i am geting but you will see at least 3-5cms before this much talked about mild sector makes it mate. :)

Posted

the met office have you down for 2 snow symbols through sunday night which is heavy snow showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun
Hi it looks as if it may be a bit off sleet on the fringes off the coast at the moment but this could and will change the mild sector may trend back westwards that is the current feeling i am geting but you will see at least 3-5cms before this much talked about mild sector makes it mate. :)

thanks fingers crossed!!!!! aslong as i see abit of laying snow i dont mind. i have work in canterbury on monday so hopefully that will be realy thick there so cant get in!!!!!!!!

the met office have you down for 2 snow symbols through sunday night which is heavy snow showers

thanks!

Posted

Clipboard02.jpg

^ I live here , I think i'll get pounded :)

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
thanks fingers crossed!!!!! aslong as i see abit of laying snow i dont mind. i have work in canterbury on monday so hopefully that will be realy thick there so cant get in!!!!!!!!

thanks!

I am just thinking about tomorrow, tomorrow night and the start of Monday atm. The whole of that time should be a snow fest for everyone throughout the region.

It is going to get bitterly cold and I would fully expect to see snow like dry sifted sand or flour blowing around on hard surfaces and roads late tomorrow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Great idea these threads. You get a good impression of how many netweather members live locally! Maybe we should all meet up sometime?

Looking good for our region for showers to start packing in overnight Sunday, I can see it's going to be tricky tearing myself away from the radar on Sunday night!

Good luck all of you!

Posted

Probably not the right place to post this but hopefully as its only my second post you'll forgive me!?

Can anyone tell me how I can find out how far inland my location is? I'm Silver End in Essex (CM8 postcode if that helps)

Thanks

Anita :)