Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Ea & Se England

jam1

Posted

Big upgrade for Monday Morning for you lucky South Easterners.

Im guessing Central London will get its most snow for many years.

On Monday the more general persistant snow will arrive in Kent around 8-9am and quickly spread up across the Home Counties into East Anglia by lunchtime.

Turning to rain in Kent up to Norwich through early afternoon and to rain in all areas below 200 meters later in the afternoon though it will then soon fizzle out

so shouldnt be all washed away for you guys unless you live below around 50-70 meters/near coasts/city centers.

Edited by conor123

Posted

I know that snow is not forcast for here tonight but I still think there will be a lot of curtain twitching going on later tonight... :D

I think the drive to work at 05:30am Monday morning will be intresting! (but i love snow so who cares) but all take it easy when your off to work and just allow extra time, or do a sicky ! :D

Posted
Big upgrade for Monday Morning for you lucky South Easterners.

Im guessing Central London will get its most snow for many years.

Great news, where did you here this?? :D

Posted

Well, with about 30 hours until the event begins, here's how I expect things to go:

Sunday afternoon/evening : light snow or graupel showers, probably settling.

Sunday overnight (until 3am): cloudy, perhaps the odd snow shower.

Sunday morning (after 3am): Snow at first, light to moderate, accumulations of about 5cm.

After about noon: Turning to sleet or rain.

I personally don't think this is going to be a great snow event. It's just like when precip moves in from the west with warm air meeting cold and snow turning to rain, only it's coming from the southeast. Still, I wouldn't mind a day off school!

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

I don't know where he heard that but it's rubbish - still expect the milder sector to effect this region in the afternoon turning things slushy. Nice to see the winds are in the east today already, BBC said they would be fresh and from the southeast. I'm not expecting to see anything by tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

turning to rain and slush in afternoon seems standard and makes this event nothing more than normal. i feel disappointed, but sort of expected to have my hopes shot at the last minute - if often happens :D

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Why are people complaining when we could have atleast 10cm or maybe more overnight sunday? , even 1991 didn't last all week. Do most people really expect weeks and weeks of snow ?

Edited by neilsouth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, blizzards, thunder snow, thunder and lightning, heat waves, tornadoes

Cant believe how popular this forum is! Great stuff. For those who want to know their asl, you could try using google earth and then hover over where you live using the mouse. Down below it should tell you the asl.

Hope that helps.

Posted
Why are people complaining when we could have atleast 10cm or maybe more overnight sunday? , even 1991 didn't last all week. Do most people really expect weeks and weeks of snow ?

1991 did last all week and we had a good few days of snow, infact near 10 days of the stuff on the ground. As you said we might get quite a good 24hr event but I fancy that might be about it, but there's along way of February to go and alot can happen in the upcoming weeks. I'm not expecting much from the Atlantic for the rest of the winter.

Edited by Timmy H

Posted

I think this will end up being less impressive then the snow fall we got last April. Obviously everything can still change, even on the day itself something could alter and keep the mild sector away, but I don't think it's overly likley.

Any snow's a bonus these days, so better to have something then nothing.

Posted
turning to rain and slush in afternoon seems standard and makes this event nothing more than normal. i feel disappointed, but sort of expected to have my hopes shot at the last minute - if often happens :)

Why do we put ourselves through this, It happens everytime doesn't it?

Much gloom & doom on the forum this afternoon!

It's likely to end up as another 'non-event' for Kent?

I'm going down the pub!

Posted

just spent the last 10 mins reading through the model thread and wish i hadn't :)

but i'll go with the meto until they tell me different :)

Posted
Why do we put ourselves through this, It happens everytime doesn't it?

Much gloom & doom on the forum this afternoon!

It's likely to end up as another 'non-event' for Kent?

I'm going down the pub!

Look guys and girls the gfs model has been haveing alot off problems off late on handleing this little low take the pros advice on here stick with the euros like ecm which will be critical tonight if that all goes well which it has been off late no problem if it starts backing the gfs then it may be game over for monday night. but that still gives us 24 hours off quite heavy and prolonged snow giveing 6cms atleast i will get the latest off my mate who is haveing another meeting later with the area manager and i will pass on info later. Until then dont panic we are going to get snow. :)

Posted

Well, in truth even the models get it wrong at times. I'm only about 6 miles from the North Norfolk coast, so I need plenty of wind to drive the showers. Haven't had serious snow here since Jan 1987, then we were cut off for a week, I live in hope!!

As far as the models are concerned, I've noticed, on the rare occasions we have had easterly snow, it seems to start from about 04:00, so my guess is we'll get a dusting tomorrow during the day, starting some time after lunch and if we get anything serious, it will not happen until Monday, starting early

We Shall See

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
Look guys and girls the gfs model has been haveing alot off problems off late on handleing this little low take the pros advice on here stick with the euros like ecm which will be critical tonight if that all goes well which it has been off late no problem if it starts backing the gfs then it may be game over for monday night. but that still gives us 24 hours off quite heavy and prolonged snow giveing 6cms atleast i will get the latest off my mate who is haveing another meeting later with the area manager and i will pass on info later. Until then dont panic we are going to get snow. :)

Do you know what models your friend uses?

I mean are they going to have different info to what the forecasters here are saying?

I'm all for getting a everyone's opinions of what is going to happen but it's very difficult to know who to believe anymore.

I thnk i'll take Nicks advice, enjoy Monday and worry about the rest of the week Tueday morning.

Bring on the trumpets...I mean snow.

Posted

The latest bbc forecast seems to have eluded to an estuary streamer of snow showers setting up later tomorrow, with the south of central london and south london itself in the firing line. its a brave call but an interesting one. i have to say its getting bitter out there, and you can almost smell siberia!

Posted

Well judging by the BBC graphics the Thames Snow Streamer is a high possibility on Sunday night and first thing on Monday, before the band of heavy snow heads in Kent & Sussex around lunchtime (that's as far as their graphics go)

Posted

Think there is the probability of Thundersnow on the fringes of any potential mild sector come Monday night...

All in all, this looks like it could be a remarkable weekend. But my place of work still expects me come Monday Morning!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
just spent the last 10 mins reading through the model thread and wish i hadn't :doh:

but i'll go with the meto until they tell me different :D

I don't believe the GFS, I really don't. It's flip-flopped around causing angst and despair on here all week.

Here's the UKMET for Wednesday doesn't look milder or rainy to me:

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rukm961.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

I don't know about anyone else, but models aside and actually looking outside; right now, like we used to (!) it feels right for snow this evening..........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun
I don't know about anyone else, but models aside and actually looking outside; right now, like we used to (!) it feels right for snow this evening..........

i agree on this!! i just been outside and soon came back in bbbrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! its freeeeeeeezzzzzzzing.