Snow Watch: London, Ea & Se England

jam1

Posted

'Coast are you ready?'

d1549-9.JPG

READY!!!!

:doh:

Posted
I don't believe the GFS, I really don't. It's flip-flopped around causing angst and despair on here all week.

Here's the UKMET for Wednesday doesn't look milder or rainy to me:

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rukm961.gif

Unfortunately looking at that particular chart I reckon we are still on the wrong side of marginal (backed up by the Met Office). Probable day maxes would be around 3/4C in a gentle south or south west circulation. So near and so far.

Posted
Unfortunately looking at that particular chart I reckon we are still on the wrong side of marginal (backed up by the Met Office). Probable day maxes would be around 3/4C in a gentle south or south west circulation. So near and so far.

well the 5pm forecast was good, with snow showers frequently popping up across the whole bbc map, and london getting the most frequent and prolonged. apparently the 5.30 one was a miss, with only a few showers and a mostly cloudy day. shows how the graphics arent to be trusted.

Posted
1991 did last all week and we had a good few days of snow, infact near 10 days of the stuff on the ground. As you said we might get quite a good 24hr event but I fancy that might be about it, but there's along way of February to go and alot can happen in the upcoming weeks. I'm not expecting much from the Atlantic for the rest of the winter.

i lived in yorkshire at the time and 1991 lasted about 3 weeks ! of snow lying on the ground. i went skiing in the pennines on my birthday - a good ten days after it fell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

No rain fall on any of the radars at the moment that I can see, there may be a light shower

Posted
Well judging by the BBC graphics the Thames Snow Streamer is a high possibility on Sunday night and first thing on Monday, before the band of heavy snow heads in Kent & Sussex around lunchtime (that's as far as their graphics go)

good graphics for thames snow streamer on the itv regional on iplayer, i think he even mentions it!!! :doh:

Posted

It is certainly the most exciting time for a few years. Nobody should lose hope or get over excited. Where I live the models show anything from 5cm of snow from mid Sunday to mid Monday turning to rain. On the other hand that predicted rain just might fall as snow in which case we are on for a pasting the likes of which haven't been seen for 22 ish years. Just wait and see, have fun, stay safe and if it turns nasty take care of those around you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
good graphics for thames snow streamer on the itv regional on iplayer, i think he even mentions it!!! :lol:

On BBC Look East just now:

No white blobs for our area, just London (Thames streamer?), BUT no mention of rain either, the summary was just snow and wintry showers right through to Thursday...

I just don't believe that the depths of the countryside, on higher ground than London, will not get some serious snow tomorrow onwards, perhaps we don't exist in BBC-land.

Posted
Do you know what models your friend uses?

I mean are they going to have different info to what the forecasters here are saying?

I'm all for getting a everyone's opinions of what is going to happen but it's very difficult to know who to believe anymore.

I thnk i'll take Nicks advice, enjoy Monday and worry about the rest of the week Tueday morning.

Bring on the trumpets...I mean snow.

Hi mate

My friend uses no models he works at the council and does the gritting they get regular updates from the met and very experienced forcasters. he said he will pop around mine around 7pm so i will update you all on things then untill then things looking very good i had a pm exchange with steve murr last night he was really happy about my area"s chances im in sw london and said we could see alot off snow and theres a good chance that the milder sector will not affect us. :lol:

Posted

Well confused as usual by the output.

Met Office - (Govt. funded experts )

Sunday:

A very cold and often cloudy day. Outbreaks of snow developing in eastern parts by late morning and in many other areas during the afternoon. Strong easterly winds. Maximum temperature 3 °C.

Updated: 1542 on Sat 31 Jan 2009

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Staying cold with further snow, giving heavy falls in places with drifting, especially over hills. Snow may later turn to rain or sleet at lower levels, and near coasts.

GFS - Rain by Monday lunchtime ! Plus the BBC shows a few showers over the far eastern parts Sunday, Hardly in line with the met office for even tomorrow.

It really is hopeless relying on the media

My heart says I'll take the met office and be very happy , my head says cloudy and a few light snow showers right at the end of Sunday , a few more overnight. some light snow Monday and the then turning to rain by the afternoon . Max for me 1cm

Unfotunately from experience I am expecting the later :lol:

Posted
Big upgrade for Monday Morning for you lucky South Easterners.

Im guessing Central London will get its most snow for many years.

On Monday the more general persistant snow will arrive in Kent around 8-9am and quickly spread up across the Home Counties into East Anglia by lunchtime.

Turning to rain in Kent up to Norwich through early afternoon and to rain in all areas below 200 meters later in the afternoon though it will then soon fizzle out

so shouldnt be all washed away for you guys unless you live below around 50-70 meters/near coasts/city centers.

Dont post stupid comments like this when you have absolutely no backing for it.

Posted

The new FAX charts show the 528dam much closer to the front of the weather fronts on Monday night, i really have a gut feeling that this will be a snow event throughout and not a snow to rain event: http://212.100.247.145/fax/PPVJ89.png

Posted
The new FAX charts show the 528dam much closer to the front of the weather fronts on Monday night, i really have a gut feeling that this will be a snow event throughout and not a snow to rain event: http://212.100.247.145/fax/PPVJ89.png

Well lets hope so. :lol: :lol:

Looks like it could just be a snow event now?

Posted

looks like the 1st showers will hit essex coast early afternoon, starting as sleet and hail i rekcon, wish the wind was a bit more NE, would be a longer sea track them, i dont think the showers will be that heavy here because of that shorter track, i think norfolk and lincs will do very well from this sun nite

Posted
Well lets hope so. :lol: :lol:

Looks like it could just be a snow event now?

Well we've seen much more marginal events than this pull off, so i have high hopes it will stay as snow, particularly if it settles quickly that can help lower the temp a little bit, along with heavier bursts. It seems to move in quicker than expected now, reaching the SE on Monday afternoon and clearing the Midlands by late morning on Tuesday. Because the LOW is right over us though it could be snowing for quite a long period of time in places.

Posted

I'm a complete newbie to this and I am so confused! :lol:

Been trying to follow the model thread but its just making my head hurt! I know, I know, I picked the wrong time to join! I'm finding it so hard to follow whats going on! Some are saying rain and sleet, but then another (from the forum team) is saying possibly 4" for Essex!

Can anyone help? I'm sorry to ask such a question at such a busy time but I'm pulling my hair out here!

Thanks

Anita

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
I'm a complete newbie to this and I am so confused! :cold:

Been trying to follow the model thread but its just making my head hurt! I know, I know, I picked the wrong time to join! I'm finding it so hard to follow whats going on! Some are saying rain and sleet, but then another (from the forum team) is saying possibly 4" for Essex!

Can anyone help? I'm sorry to ask such a question at such a busy time but I'm pulling my hair out here!

Thanks

Anita

Never a bad time.

The rain and sleet issue is for monday evening when the GFS progs an area of warmer upper temps to hit the East and SE...turning the snow to rain and sleet. Paul Sherman, who you have quoted above, has given a figure of between 4 and 8 inches (his own opinion) for Essex from SUnday afternoon, when the snow starts, overnight into Monday before the warm uppers are due.

Now the uncertainty comes because some other models dont have these warmer uppers affecting these areas as much, so it may be infact all snow, or there me be a bit of sleet before it turns back to snow. Its not certain, which is causing confusion and only time will tell. But there will still be solely snow sunday afternoon, evening, night and monday morning...the uncertainty comes after this.! Hope that helps.!

Posted

So if we are looking at (fingers crossed, who knows, touch wood etc) in Essex, you could bargain on Norfolk (more north of Norfolk) being the same if not a tad more?

So if we are looking at (fingers crossed, who knows, touch wood etc) in Essex, you could bargain on Norfolk (more north of Norfolk) being the same if not a tad more?

In the SE corner ( thats LONDON ANY COUNTY Adjacent West or SW) Essex, Kent, Suffolk -

One lucky place from Sun- late mon, then sitting on the NW exit of the triple point of the low will end up with ~ 7-10 inches of snow-

S

Posted

In the SE corner ( thats LONDON ANY COUNTY Adjacent West or SW) Essex, Kent, Suffolk -

One lucky place from Sun- late mon, then sitting on the NW exit of the triple point of the low will end up with ~ 7-10 inches of snow-

S

Steve Murr.

If it's not to much trouble what could we expect arond this area/what will happen?

Posted

Isn't it odd how we are talking inches rather than centimetres (or the good ol' kentimetres :cold: )? Most snow events we have a few measly cm, but this time we're expecting a few inches - shows how good this event could be... :lol: