Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Ea & Se England

jam1

Posted

Unlike Tamara, in Tunbridge Wells we do, very occaisionally, get a snow streamer - and when it starts it can give quite heavy and prolonged falls - up to 6 inches here.

Also we are on higher ground (400 ft plus) so the snow does persist longer and it is not unusual for us to get a good covering and find that at Tonbridge, five miles away, there is nothing. So, when things are marginal we often get the benefit. When I moved here I did not realise quite how high up we were - but over the years it has really paid off.

From the models it looks as if Sunday night will see the start of any real event here - and if this is snow (which I confidently expect it will be) then it is a question of how long the precipitation stays as snow. There is a chance that Monday could be all snow and this could persist in to Tuesday - that is if you prefer a mid point evolution between the GFS and ECM model evolutions.

I still side more to the ECM view - colder for longer - but at the cost of a lower snowfall - we shall see.

Anyway good luck to everyone - it will be very interesting to see the snow reports and the extent its progress inland.

MM

Posted
Probably not the right place to post this but hopefully as its only my second post you'll forgive me!?

Can anyone tell me how I can find out how far inland my location is? I'm Silver End in Essex (CM8 postcode if that helps)

Thanks

Anita :)

According to the AA route planner

From Silver End to Frinton on Sea (I.e. Due East) is 32.7 miles

Edited by Bobaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

I really hope this doesn't all go belly up at the last minute.

I pronised my kids a chance of snow during the prolonged cold spell we had and nothing happened, I promised them snow from the last snow spell we had and it was gone by the time they got home from school.

Please, please, please let there be something for them this time.

The model thread is a nightmare, we have posts from it's a downgrade, it's going torain, it's going to sleet, it's going to light snow to 6 foot drifts, all for the SE, any idea which one sit's gonna be?

Posted
Probably not the right place to post this but hopefully as its only my second post you'll forgive me!?

Can anyone tell me how I can find out how far inland my location is? I'm Silver End in Essex (CM8 postcode if that helps)

Thanks

Anita :)

Hi and Welcome. :o

I would'nt really worry how far you are from the coast in this instance, im just down the road from you in Maldon and we are right on the river. From Silver End to Harwich is around 35 Miles so that should give you your answer. Everything will be moving westward and we should be in for quite a pasting!

Matt :)

Edited by Matty J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
So, when things are marginal we often get the benefit. When I moved here I did not realise quite how high up we were - but over the years it has really paid off.

I do think marginal stuff is often understated on this forum a few hundred feet up ,can make all the difference

The last snow fall my area (Im at about 70ft !) we had nothing, just a few hundred feet up ie about 3/4 miles away it was lying inches thick

Im not sure this one will be so marginal but I have a car :)

Posted
I really hope this doesn't all go belly up at the last minute.

I pronised my kids a chance of snow during the prolonged cold spell we had and nothing happened, I promised them snow from the last snow spell we had and it was gone by the time they got home from school.

Please, please, please let there be something for them this time.

The model thread is a nightmare, we have posts from it's a downgrade, it's going torain, it's going to sleet, it's going to light snow to 6 foot drifts, all for the SE, any idea which one sit's gonna be?

I expect your kids will see some snow so don't worry there, the snow should begin to kick off late tomorrow towards the evening, overnight and into Monday there should be some good snowfall. After this it gets very complicated, my advice make sure they have a good day on Monday and enjoy the snow, hopefully the schools will be shut if not and I shouldn't be a bad influence but why not give them the day off and blame it on transport disruption! :)

There maybe more snow monday night into tuesday but this is where it becomes a forecasting nightmare as a less cold sector is expected to brush with se areas, theres still alot of uncertainty here, so make the most of Monday.

Posted
According to the AA route planner

From Silver End to Frinton on Sea (I.e. Due East) is 32.7 miles

Hi and Welcome. :o

I would'nt really worry how far you are from the coast in this instance, im just down the road from you in Maldon and we are right on the river. From Silver End to Harwich is around 35 Miles so that should give you your answer. Everything will be moving westward and we should be in for quite a pasting!

Matt :)

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Especially like the bit about the pasting Matt!

Hope you're right, my little boy wants the day off school for the first proper snow he will have ever seen!!

:)

Posted
Unlike Tamara, in Tunbridge Wells we do, very occaisionally, get a snow streamer - and when it starts it can give quite heavy and prolonged falls - up to 6 inches here.

Also we are on higher ground (400 ft plus) so the snow does persist longer and it is not unusual for us to get a good covering and find that at Tonbridge, five miles away, there is nothing. So, when things are marginal we often get the benefit. When I moved here I did not realise quite how high up we were - but over the years it has really paid off.

From the models it looks as if Sunday night will see the start of any real event here - and if this is snow (which I confidently expect it will be) then it is a question of how long the precipitation stays as snow. There is a chance that Monday could be all snow and this could persist in to Tuesday - that is if you prefer a mid point evolution between the GFS and ECM model evolutions.

I still side more to the ECM view - colder for longer - but at the cost of a lower snowfall - we shall see.

Anyway good luck to everyone - it will be very interesting to see the snow reports and the extent its progress inland.

MM

Thats usually the case,if it snows here you know that its more than likely settling everywhere else,but then with the river running though the town ,you know you cant get much lower inland,good thing like you say there is a fair bit of high ground locally . :)

Posted

Im hoping that at 640ft high Biggin Hill and the Downs any pp will remain as snow, but who can tell. The North downs usually have a few more days of lying snow than the surrounding areas much lower down. If the ECM is right then we could have lying snow for some time. Fingers crossed . Nothing worse than lovely dry snow turning to rain . :)

Posted

Hi all

Posted this morning in the Will It Snow thread but no replies - whats my chances here in Gants Hill, Ilford, essex (North east Greater London) and how much might I get ?

Posted
Hi all

Posted this morning in the Will It Snow thread but no replies - whats my chances here in Gants Hill, Ilford, essex (North east Greater London) and how much might I get ?

You definitely will get snow but amounts are difficult to pin down because of the hit and miss nature of the showers, theres a chance a more organised band of snow may head in on Monday night, however the latter is associated with a small low pressure and associated milder sector, the models havent yet decided how much progress this will make into the se, my advice enjoy the snow on Monday. :)

Posted
You definitely will get snow but amounts are difficult to pin down because of the hit and miss nature of the showers, theres a chance a more organised band of snow may head in on Monday night, however the latter is associated with a small low pressure and associated milder sector, the models havent yet decided how much progress this will make into the se, my advice enjoy the snow on Monday. :)

Hey Nick...start you're own thread ;)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Not clear here , increasing high cloud from the north sea and breezy!

Posted

Just walked my kiddies to a party,,the house i dropped them to was directly on the sea front-facing the sea and it was eye watering freezing,

looking at my local weather station wind chill is now -1 and temp 3.2 and falling - but it certainly semmed colder than that :):)

its also turned hazy

I'm looking forward to hibernating tomorrow while watching the radar, and hopefully (fingers crossed)building a snowman on monday morning ;)

Edited by donna-m

Posted

Where would you classify Bournemouth were neither south west or south east, so is there gonna be a thread for cental south lol? Im still expecting those heart dropping phrases from the weathermen to say its likely to be rain or sleet on these coastal fringes. Can anyone with more knowledge than me assure us and the kids that there may be a chance of building a snowman for the first time ever?

Posted
Where would you classify Bournemouth were neither south west or south east, so is there gonna be a thread for cental south lol? Im still expecting those heart dropping phrases from the weathermen to say its likely to be rain or sleet on these coastal fringes. Can anyone with more knowledge than me assure us and the kids that there may be a chance of building a snowman for the first time ever?

I'd say Bournemouth is South West (look at the ambulances - South Western Ambulance Service) but some residents have been posting in the Midlands and Central South thread.

Posted
I'd say Bournemouth is South West (look at the ambulances - South Western Ambulance Service) but some residents have been posting in the Midlands and Central South thread.

I have never seen so much gritt on the roads this morning we had a second gritter around out main roads. they really are expecting something bad now i will update you all later after i had a conversation with my mate john.

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

OK,

I've not posted here for ages (since the last decent snow in SE London probably). In my experience we live in a "snow shadow" here in Bromley and really need a decent front or a hefty streamer to get anything to fall over us. Can't remember the date but I do remember a streamer setting up while I was working in London (right on the North Bank) and we had a day of seriously heavy snow showers (obscuring the other side of the river type heavy..) but when I got home there had been nothing.

I live pretty low down at the bottom of a valley and need all the help I can get - would be nice to see some real snow and not the wet stuff we saw a few weeks ago....

Here's hoping...

DS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Clipboard02.jpg

^ I live here , I think i'll get pounded :mellow:

i live under you - marked as lYminge - nearer south coast - please not be sleet! we are in a valley though - i hope that makes a difference!

Edited by sarah7meme