Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
I'm not particularly looking forward to tomorrow as I doubt that much will come of it. Models don't look that great but we shall see!

Is it snowing where you are? Can't see it happening here it's 3.8c :(

in the last 10 mins it has turned readily to snow

it can't lie but it is it's not a bad sign for the rest of the week

as for the models they don't look too bad for you but they look very promising for us wednesday night, friday morning and some of saturday

the english and welsh people are getting very excited about the advisories for thursday and friday but the models show it as being mainly rain in the south :D:doh:

Posted

Invisible snow over Scotland Thursday?

All day the BBC weather maps have been showing a significant area of snow over S Scotland and N England but the presenters have only referred to the band over the Midlands and Southern England. Is the snow area for the north not expected to come to much, or is this just the BBC's usual Anglo-centric nature?

For once I hope it is the latter :help:

Edited by Duncan McAlister

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Invisible snow over Scotland Thursday?

All day the BBC weather maps have been showing a significant area of snow over S Scotland and N England but the presenters have only referred to the area over the Midlands and Southern England. Is the snow area for the north not expected to come to much, or is this just the BBC's usual Anglo-centric nature?

For once I hope it is the latter :help:

the met office is the same

they have ramped up ridiculously the sleet and rain in the south on thursday and left our thursday snow unmentioned

since when was sleet 'extreme!!!'?

Posted

GFS showing a lot of PPN around tomorrow for much of the day with fairly cold temperatures but there's no warnings out. The FAX charts look interesting too.

That's probably a good sign as there was a warning out for Eastern Scotland last night and all we got was rain. :help:

Posted
GFS showing a lot of PPN around tomorrow for much of the day with fairly cold temperatures but there's no warnings out. The FAX charts look interesting too.

That's probably a good sign as there was a warning out for Eastern Scotland last night and all we got was rain. :good:

too right

an early met office warning is like a kiss of death for any severe weather likely.

I can recall getting 4 inches of snow here without even an advisory while the met office spent all their time forecasting for the south

so by that judgement we're in for a real treat tomorrow because of the three hours late advisory saying the same thing as yesterday :shok:

Updated warnings from the Meto (well they are from the last time I looked).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...st_weather.html

icy roads

not surprising

beeb say -8C in rural scotland :help:

Posted

That's probably a good sign as there was a warning out for Eastern Scotland last night and all we got was rain. :help:

The occluded front stalls near here for several hours, and by this time the 528 line has passed well to our south. :shok:

This had better deliver the goods 'cos we probably won't get a better chance for the rest of the winter.

Posted

if my calculations are correct my location is looking at between 3 and 4 inches of snow by 6am on thursday :D (although beta says no snow overnight here :wacko: )

friday and saturday do look ok for snow at some point but tomorrow is definitely our best shot for a bit

temps look low for a while though so there may be other opportunities for more snow later, especially considering that the bulk of our snow in the last few winters have come in late february- march

Edited by cwpiper

Posted

check out the latest gfs charts :wacko: :D

Posted
check out the latest gfs charts :wacko: :D

Looking good!

http://gfs.netweather.tv/gfs.20090203/12/3...ctypeuktopo.png

Ties in nicely with the fax charts.

http://212.100.247.145/fax/PPVI89.png

Edited by Mark H

Posted

is it me or does the front come in heavier and for longer than on the previous run?

Posted

Oh boy, it's not back to snow watch mode again, is it? Can't take much more after yesterday.

PS, why ain't we under the Red Alert Cone of Destruction this time?!! :whistling::bomb: :ph34r:

Posted
is it me or does the front come in heavier and for longer than on the previous run?

Precip does look hevier on this run to me too. Iwould imagine the occluded front will bring an area of general snow and the cold front would bring snow showers to all the favoured places around the coasts,i dont generally do to well here for snow from a northerly but will be intersting to watch all the same. :whistling:

Posted

So is tomorrow's potential snow event actually looking like coming off? Like the rest of you on the east coast last night's expected snowfall ended up being rain/sleet and now the snow had melted and so after a really promising day with snow showers getting heavier and heavier it ended up turning into a non-event! The snow risk charts and precip charts are looking good but is this the case for coastal regions as well as inland? I am on the coast of the firth of forth so near the coast although not on the east coast as such, is it likely no snow will be found here?

Whats this about thursday? As far as i knew thursday didnt look snowy? Where has this info come from? Hopefully we all see a fair bit in the coming weeks :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The temperature here has dropped a couple of degrees in the last hour or so and the rain has turned to sleet/wet snow. Fairly light though and with the wet ground not likely to lie. Some clearer skies visible to the South West but pretty dull everywhere else.

Still hopeful of snow tomorrow morning but may be too near the coast again.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
So is tomorrow's potential snow event actually looking like coming off? Like the rest of you on the east coast last night's expected snowfall ended up being rain/sleet and now the snow had melted and so after a really promising day with snow showers getting heavier and heavier it ended up turning into a non-event! The snow risk charts and precip charts are looking good but is this the case for coastal regions as well as inland? I am on the coast of the firth of forth so near the coast although not on the east coast as such, is it likely no snow will be found here?

Whats this about thursday? As far as i knew thursday didnt look snowy? Where has this info come from? Hopefully we all see a fair bit in the coming weeks :whistling:

There will be cold air and snow moving down from the north through the country late wed into thurs,but wheather it amounts to much i couldnt say,prob best to keep an eye on the met office warnings but lol after last nights debacle who knows!

Posted
There will be cold air and snow moving down from the north through the country late wed into thurs,but wheather it amounts to much i couldnt say,prob best to keep an eye on the met office warnings but lol after last nights debacle who knows!

Maybe no news is good news when it comes to MetOffice Weather Warnings :ph34r:

Posted

Whats this about thursday? As far as i knew thursday didnt look snowy? Where has this info come from? Hopefully we all see a fair bit in the coming weeks :)

thursday looks like it might be snowy, at least in the morning, but the charts and the bbc forecasts don't seem to match up at all!!

Coastal regions should do better out of this as temps are lower and the front seems to pull in colder air.

Tomorrow is looking promising at the moment but the exact time, location of heaviest bursts, length and amount of snow are all uncertain at the moment, although it looks like a more substancial event in the east

As for more snow the current GFS shows an atlantic front for sunday and into monday with the precipitation heavy and pretty much all of snow

I wouldn't trust any forecast charts for more than a few days out though and this does seem to only have appeared on the last run but it is worth pointing out

Oh boy, it's not back to snow watch mode again, is it? Can't take much more after yesterday.

PS, why ain't we under the Red Alert Cone of Destruction this time?!! :doh::bomb::doh:

because the met office has preoccupied itself with the possibility of snow in central england for Thursday and Friday.

Remember that we had no warning out for monday until 12pm Sunday and then we ended up with flash warnings. The Red Alert Cone of Destruction is reserved for the people of London who presumably have to 'take action' of some kind when it snows. Ironically most people do the opposite when there is heavy snow, and London didn't even run the buses when they were meant to take action :lol:

Posted
MetO...Pah.

I wont be happy until I see the Red Cone across the central belt.

Then I'll KNOW it'll be raining here :doh:

Have a hunch they are underplaying the morra tho...

they either under or over play it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Hi everyone,

Just heard a weather forcaster from the met office say sorry to us in Scotland on the PM Programme on BBC Radio 4. They then warned us in the central belt that the snow band will return from the north to affect us at the rush hour tommorrow. We wait and see :doh:

Posted
Hi everyone,

Just heard a weather forcaster from the met office say sorry to us in Scotland on the PM Programme on BBC Radio 4. They then warned us in the central belt that the snow band will return from the north to affect us at the rush hour tommorrow. We wait and see :doh:

Rush Hour am or pm :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.
Rush Hour am or pm :D

oops sorry, PM :doh: