Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
...should I prepair for a 'no event or can I boast to everyone and show off charts to friends and pretend I know what I'm talking about.

Sadly Sammie I would tend to err on no or little event for Embra at least. I like Shuggies general analysis but these computer generated snow forecast charts are generally pants I find. Seen back-edge snow many times from the north but not too many times when its got here as snow to begin with. By the time whatever moisture gets here , scraped over 100 miles of 2-3000+ ft hills and mountains, the pay-off has been generally zilch in my lifetime.

BTW I should introduce myself. I'm a long-time netweather lurker and weather-nut since 1973...still a youngster though. Its only this thread that has made me "come out" at long last :D

Posted
Temp -1.5C dew -5.6C in the city center now. It certainly did drop today noticed the change in the air around 5ish when I was walking home from lectues.

22.35GMT

EAST KILBRIDE: Temp -5.0c Dew Point: -6.4c :D

http://www.madpaddler.org/EKWeather/tabid/62/Default.aspx

Edited by East Kilbride Blizzards

Posted
Sadly Sammie I would tend to err on no or little event for Embra at least. I like Shuggies general analysis but these computer generated snow forecast charts are generally pants I find. Seen back-edge snow many times from the north but not too many times when its got here as snow to begin with. By the time whatever moisture gets here , scraped over 100 miles of 2-3000+ ft hills and mountains, the pay-off has been generally zilch in my lifetime.

BTW I should introduce myself. I'm a long-time netweather lurker and weather-nut since 1973...still a youngster though. Its only this thread that has made me "come out" at long last :D

Thanks, its my first winter in Edinburgh I only moved here in September so I don't really know what to expect. Though I have noticed how dry it is, the humidity is far lower than what it is over on west coast on average, it still amuses me haha.

It's ok I don't really mind a 'no event we got tons of snow on Monday, more than I have seen in years I've had more than I expected this winter :)

Posted
But would we be on the news as having a severe weather event. I think not. :D

Hey Shadow - I love the dogs Are they all yours?

Posted

Hello EKB, Noticed your temp readings have been very Low the last couple of days, was just wondering if your readings are correct, as It has not been that cold here in Dundee, seems quite a big difference ?

Was just wondering likes :D

Posted
Hello EKB, Noticed your temp readings have been very Low the last couple of days, was just wondering if your readings are correct, as It has not been that cold here in Dundee, seems quite a big difference ?

EK Weather Station: http://www.madpaddler.org/EKWeather/tabid/62/Default.aspx

Yes they are correct and plus I'm 695ft above Sea Leval. :)

Edited by East Kilbride Blizzards

Posted

Was just wondering likes :blush:

Can confirm its really cold here in south lanarkshire, currently -4.6c here,im about 7 miles east of lanark,very rural.

Posted
Thanks, its my first winter in Edinburgh I only moved here in September so I don't really know what to expect. Though I have noticed how dry it is, the humidity is far lower than what it is over on west coast on average, it still amuses me haha.

It's ok I don't really mind a 'no event we got tons of snow on Monday, more than I have seen in years I've had more than I expected this winter :cray:

I hope Shuggee is on the money. I love Edinburgh but always find it to be one of the most infuriating places to live weather wise. In 35 years of local weather watching (...said in croaking voice of an old man LOL) I've seen snow arrive here from almost every part of the compass - but not too often. The floodgates only open up when the starting conditions are right and the cold drag is from somewhere between NE and ESE, just like our 18-24 hours worth yesterday.

Best winter here for a while indeed. But wait till the summer kicks in, 2 hots days then the fog rolls in, gets me every time ! :blush:

Edited by by-tor

Posted
Temp -1.5C dew -5.6C in the city center now. It certainly did drop today noticed the change in the air around 5ish when I was walking home from lectues.

Yep all the snowmelt had already frozen around my way by 5pm

BTW I should introduce myself. I'm a long-time netweather lurker and weather-nut since 1973...still a youngster though. Its only this thread that has made me "come out" at long last :blush:

Welcome to NW by-tor, have fun on here.

It's ok I don't really mind a 'no event we got tons of snow on Monday, more than I have seen in years I've had more than I expected this winter :cray:

I have noticed that as well, rainfall averages are about the same believe it or not but the Gulf Stream must push up the humidity on the west coast a fair bit. The snow has been good I agree but the thing that amazes me this year in Edinburgh is how easily the temp drops below 0C, and then not just by 1 or 2 degrees as in the past but even further. -3C at the moment and still dropping.

Posted
Cheers EKB mind how you go tomorrow and watch oot for the Icy roads !!! :blush:

No Problem, :cray: hope you get snow polarlow in Dundee. :)

Temp down to -5.1c, Dew Point: -6.4c in EK. :lol:

Posted
I have noticed that as well, rainfall averages are about the same believe it or not but the Gulf Stream must push up the humidity on the west coast a fair bit. The snow has been good I agree but the thing that amazes me this year in Edinburgh is how easily the temp drops below 0C, and then not just by 1 or 2 degrees as in the past but even further. -3C at the moment and still dropping.

It's been almost freakish I reckon. Tonight is our 34th air frost since Dec 1st out of 63 nights. Two -6ºCs and a -5ºC only last week - completely out of nowhere. Wonder how far it's going to drop in the early hours :blush:

Posted

I thought Edinburgh was in a rainshadow? Haha I don't even pretend to know what goes on the east coast this place scares me. I miss the cloudscapes off the west coast though. I live on campus at the Kings Buildings and the weather station here is reading -1.7C here which isn't too bad for being in a major urban area.

It was trecherous trying to walk back to my hall, the pavements arn't salted here I thought I was going to break my neck.

It's been almost freakish I reckon. Tonight is our 34th air frost since Dec 1st out of 63 nights. Two -6ºCs and a -5ºC only last week - completely out of nowhere. Wonder how far it's going to drop in the early hours :blush:

What's the definition of an air frost? The term muddles me a bit.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Aye PL it's just aboot cald enough for a mug o' Royal Game soup & a couple o' ootsiders :p

I think we should all get a wee touch of the white stuff in the next few days :D

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
It's been almost freakish I reckon. Tonight is our 34th air frost since Dec 1st out of 63 nights. Two -6ºCs and a -5ºC only last week - completely out of nowhere. Wonder how far it's going to drop in the early hours :p

I should realy also keep count, wish I had this winter. I have lost count how many times I have had to scrape the cars and have gone though more bags of grit and tins of anti-freeze this season that I have in the previous 5 winters. I do know that I have had two sub -8C nights with an absolute minimum of -8.9C in December (my weather thingy recorded that :D )

Temp now down to -4C as I type DP still at -5C

Posted

Welcome to NW by-tor, have fun on here.

Thanks for that Snow Leopard. Done plenty of sledging on Corstorphine Hill in the 70's up by Drumbrae. Saw you reporting 10cms yesterday. Nearest hill to here is Calton Hill. Rarely seen the effects of height as graphically as yesterday. Street level at the top of Leith Walk where I live... wet pavements and some minor patches. Took the 7 year-old up Calton Hill after school to a winter wonderland ... 5 minutes walk away and it can't be more than 200ft heigher up. Lots of snow, managed to make a snowman before a brutal snow-shower forced us off again. A truly marginal day !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

BBC monthly outlook says cold snow/cold until March...

Never seen such a ramp before there. Hope they are serious: W1 “Cold with heavy snow.” W2 "Remaining cold with risk of further snow." W3-4 “Cold with wintry flurries.”

After wet and cold today at ~3 C, all froze rapidly at the end of the day. Now hanging around -3 C.

Posted
What's the definition of an air frost? The term muddles me a bit.

Freezing point and below :p

Posted
would anyone like to have a go at a snowcast for dingwall for tomorrow? cheers...

Far north of scotland. :p what it like up their at mo? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

evening all,

good luck to everyone tomorrow, not expecting much myself as I think that the mountains to the north will break everything up and it will be very patchy but hey you never know. Temperature outside here in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire is -2.3c, not looking forward to a cold early start tomorrow! :p Night everyone.

Posted

Hi Guys.

Yes, the Edinburgh area always does better when there's an easterly influence. Most of the snowy spells in the 80's were courtesy of easterly or north easterlies. There has just been a lack of sustained easterly spells in recent years. Yesterday was a good example until the sw moved in from the south.

Anyway, let's hope that if it does snow tomorrow hopefully it won't be followed by sleet and rain. :p

Posted
Thanks for that Snow Leopard. Done plenty of sledging on Corstorphine Hill in the 70's up by Drumbrae. Saw you reporting 10cms yesterday. Nearest hill to here is Calton Hill. Rarely seen the effects of height as graphically as yesterday. Street level at the top of Leith Walk where I live... wet pavements and some minor patches. Took the 7 year-old up Calton Hill after school to a winter wonderland ... 5 minutes walk away and it can't be more than 200ft heigher up. Lots of snow, managed to make a snowman before a brutal snow-shower forced us off again. A truly marginal day !

:D Happens a lot to me, trying to convince my colleagues that I actually had snow where they had rain in the city.

I need to sign off now but I hope its going to be a busy tomorrow night :p