Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch Thread For Midlands & C Southern England

Posted

IM GUTTED, ABOUT 10 30 THIS EVENING OR RATHER YESTERDAY WE HAD SNOW WITH THE BIGGEST FLAKES IVE EVER SEEN FOR ABOUT 30 MINS EVERTHING WAS COVERED WITH WET SNOW AND I THOUGHT YES ALL THE FORECASTERS HAVE GOT IT WRONG WE ARE GONNA STRIKE IT RICH. BUT HOWEVER IT ALL TURNED TO RAIN AND NOW ITS HAMMERING IT DOWN AS PER USUAL HERE IN POOLE DORSET. ANYHOW GOOD LUCK TO YOU PEEPS UP NORTH OF US IF IT DOES SNOW BECAUSE THE RAIN HAS BEEN CONSTANT NOW FOR NEARLY 3 HOURS AND SEEMS TO BE GETTING HEAVIER.

Posted
what if it starts to do that miserable sleet thing? lol! Then it might leave us :wallbash:

thats a chance we take by staying up and watching it but i dont think it will

cher

x

Posted
IM GUTTED, ABOUT 10 30 THIS EVENING OR RATHER YESTERDAY WE HAD SNOW WITH THE BIGGEST FLAKES IVE EVER SEEN FOR ABOUT 30 MINS EVERTHING WAS COVERED WITH WET SNOW AND I THOUGHT YES ALL THE FORECASTERS HAVE GOT IT WRONG WE ARE GONNA STRIKE IT RICH. BUT HOWEVER IT ALL TURNED TO RAIN AND NOW ITS HAMMERING IT DOWN AS PER USUAL HERE IN POOLE DORSET. ANYHOW GOOD LUCK TO YOU PEEPS UP NORTH OF US IF IT DOES SNOW BECAUSE THE RAIN HAS BEEN CONSTANT NOW FOR NEARLY 3 HOURS AND SEEMS TO BE GETTING HEAVIER.

Awww, sorry to hear that. I think that's the main risk now; should start off initially as snow for many areas but how long will it stay that way? Earlier I was confident of around 3 hours of snow here at least, after reading your post just now I'm suddenly not so sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Just started to see a few flakes blowing in the wind here...

Still got a widespread unmelted inch here on the edge of town 90m up, and 2-3 inches in the shade. After braving Monday and Tuesday on the roads out of duty and making a 30 minute commute down country lanes into a 2 hour one, i'm ready for a day working at home.

Flippin' making me migrate from the more geographically correct thread that includes the East Midlands. I don't know Andy. Paf and piffle.

Hehe the East Mids thread was dead though, it's exciting in here, i've been on here all evening chatting and following the precip moving up, been great stuff :wallbash: Should start snowing any minute in Birmingham, lamp post watch time for me soon aswell!

Posted
omg its knocking at my door just letting it in now wooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooo

cher

x

Tell to come visit me. Ill make it feel at home :wallbash:

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Well for once, I am pleased to report that the snow hasn't weakened in this area and although I haven't seen any of the really bright radar echoes, if anything the precipitation has got heavier for once. It's been falling for about 1 hour 15mins now and already appears to have matched the previous 4 day's combined effort of half a centimetre. I know it probably won't last long and I hope there'll be something left at daybreak, but I think this qualifies for one of these: :wallbash: .

As an aside, the NW radar showed the precipitation starting at 11:15pm here, but when I went outside to check, it was bone dry, so you may find that your locations are actually slightly further north than plotted on this radar. Whether there is also an east-west discrepancy, I'm not sure.

Posted

To add insult to injury, my light in the back garden blew on return at 11pm from seeing the comedy genius John Shuttleworth in Milton Keynes, so its more difficult to 'lampost watch', but light flakes have started. I had to flip the fuse as all the lights were off. Well stocked up though, and fingers and everything crossed. My wife is, and has been on holiday all week, lucky girl. Me, i've had to put up and shut up and drive thus far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Awww, sorry to hear that. I think that's the main risk now; should start off initially as snow for many areas but how long will it stay that way? Earlier I was confident of around 3 hours of snow here at least, after reading your post just now I'm suddenly not so sure.

Bare in mind he is like 200 miles South of Northants... Reports of snow in Oxford, Northants should be safe for a good few hours yet, probably until 7-8am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Nothing seen yet at NN3 (near Pitsford) although now very close temp -1.2c and dewpoint -2.5c, nice little pink spot on the radar due south heading this way

Posted

can i just say something please ITS STARTING TO SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW only fine though but its staring mega ramp woooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooo :clap::(:(

cher

x

Posted
Nothing seen yet at NN3 (near Pitsford) although now very close temp -1.2c and dewpoint -2.5c, nice little pink spot on the radar due south heading this way

Nothing here yet either about 4 miles south of you down in NN2. Shouldn't be long now though!

Temp -1.2 °C, dew point -2.5 °C. :(

Posted

Have you still got much lying from Monday? Still got 95% cover away from the town centre and in the sticks. Most has melted south of Northampton - nowt left in Olney for example, but a bit around the edges of Milton Keynes tonight around Woburn Sands journeying home from a comedy gig.

Posted
can i just say something please ITS STARTING TO SNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW only fine though but its staring mega ramp woooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooo :clap::(:(

cher

x

yaaaaay:)

Posted

For those with NW radar if you switch on the 700hpa wind vectors which gives the genral direction of the precipitation you can see where the arrows change from north and the arrows from the south meet which at present is about the border with Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
Nothing yet in North Brum! Just checked the lampost..

Ill check again...and..no snow but the clouds are full of it.

Heavy snow 80 miles south of Birmingham (ie here !) settling everywhere, should be coming your way ?

Posted
Have you still got much lying from Monday? Still got 95% cover away from the town centre and in the sticks. Most has melted south of Northampton - nowt left in Olney for example, but a bit around the edges of Milton Keynes tonight around Woburn Sands journeying home from a comedy gig.

Out in the sticks here as well, we have about 50% cover very little melted today in the shade