Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted

Well, certainly a low - but it looked like the remnants of the (so labelled) polar low we were following yesterday. As for tonight - more showery stuff if we're lucky. If we get a hard frost tonight the pavements & roads will be pretty treacherous tomorrow. More showery snow to come tomorrow, from what the Meto have forecast.

Grampian/West coast weather warnings have been updated too:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/gr/...t_warnings.html

BBC news have actually added this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7873744.stm

Edited by LadyPakal

Guest Shetland Coastie

Hi all. Just spoken to our Met man at northisles-weather.co.uk and he's pointed out to me another Polar Low which has formed off Norway which looks like it will hit Shetland sometime tomorrow. Having looked at the satpic there also appears to be another a bit further north and west although I think that one will slide between Faroe and Iceland.

:unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Hi all. Just spoken to our Met man at northisles-weather.co.uk and he's pointed out to me another Polar Low which has formed off Norway which looks like it will hit Shetland sometime tomorrow. Having looked at the satpic there also appears to be another a bit further north and west although I think that one will slide between Faroe and Iceland.

:unknw:

do any look like sliding south towards us?

we could do with some snow

I think we will see some snow sun/mon but it will probably not amount too much. Funny that this weather warning is only for England when the band hits Scotland too, bizarre!! Also noticed there is now another weather warning out for parts of England for monday for 5-10cm to accumulate that day but again nowt here?

Why?

Anyway, anyone noticed the complete opposition on longish range forecasts at the moment from various sites? Some mentioning how its getting mild next week then others such as the METO changing from their milder attitude to its continuing cold with further sleet/snow?

Interesting, hopefully we have some hope left yet!

the snow risk must be higher here than in the south, but the met office don't issue warnings for us if they think it'll snow

Posted

We got lucky really - if that cloud streamer had been in a slightly different place we'd have had nothing apart from a few wee showers.

That new polar low sounds interesting - off to take a look here: http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

This may be of interest:

http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/ZAM...90206_1200.html

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
Nice satellite view of N England, N Wales & S Scotland here (possibly parts of Ireland too)- showing snow cover. Even some of the Outer Hebrides & Arran (possibly Skye too) seem to have some snow.

Sorry you Central Scotland guys, it doesn't look too good for you - did you install a snow dome?:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/static/uk/next3days/snow

That is just incredible! and so frustrating :unknw: What on earth do we have to do to get some snowfall here.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
A trough forming over the North-west? Or is that just wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Ross,

Even if it is? The way things are going for us in the central belt, it will probably travel over the North of Scotland hitting Inverness & Aberdeen, move out into the North Sea travel South and then back West over the bulk of England :rolleyes:

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
Possibly, but the track looks to take it out over the irish sea ?

True, but it would probably enhance shower activity as well when it moves past.

The wind has more of a northwesterly component now as well so it may drift onto the west coast, i dunno :rolleyes:

Posted
Ross,

Even if it is? The way things are going for us in the cenral belt, it will probably travel over the North of Scotland hitting Inverness & Aberdeen, move out into the North Sea travel South and then back East over the bulk of England :rolleyes:

Big Innes

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Looks like it's starting to cloud over here. Hopefully something on the way after what has been a really nice day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

looking at the radar there is constant heavy snow over the central highlands heading towards us but it never quite makes it past aberfeldy

i'm still hopeful that some showers will make it here tonight though

Posted

Good and Bad news for snow fans in Aberdeen.

The bad news is the temperature has now increased to 1.3°C from 0.6°C early afternoon.

The good news is on the BBC Forecast at 6.30, the forecast indicated snow showers tomorrow morning becoming more organised to produce a longer period of snow just like today, but the snow activity would become less frequent into the aftenoon but I'm not sure about that.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Hi folks, some serious weather to report up here in Shetland.

Just spoken to the oncoming Watch Manager and it doesnt look like hes going to make it in. He lives north of Lerwick and reports that snow is falling up there at the rate of some 3-4 inches per hour and the roads are apalling. He has attempted to get in to work but the road is blocked by a bus which has had an accident and he also reports a couple of cars in the ditches.

We have also had a report from the police of the main road north also being blocked some 4-5 miles north of Lerwick with approx 6 cars off the road and absolute chaos. This heavy snow has now started here in Lerwick and everything is rapidly turning white again.

What this means is it is a possibility we may be stuck here tonight as our relief cant get in to the station at the moment and of course the longer were stuck here the greater the risk of us not getting home either.

Posted

3-4" per hour is very heavy snow, Bob. Is it windy too?

Inverness (according to the ever-accurate BBC!!!) was showing +3 & showers but can't remember if that observation was as at 1700 or 1800hrs.

Look north Richard - more cumio nimbus - it's just started here and I'm getting hail!

Posted

Talking about Polar Lows:

Bands of Snow Showers moving south over Scotland from the north in the next 12 hours,

Sat 7th Feb 09, 00:00 GMT post-9501-1233949397_thumb.jpg

Sat 7th Feb 09, 12:00 GMT post-9501-1233949435_thumb.jpg

Edited by East Kilbride Blizzards

Posted

ZL - I think it was more graupel than hail (spring snow as my other half calls it). Small balls of snow. A fair amount of the March 2006 fall (the later falls) was the same stuff.

Temp here is 0.5, fallen slightly in the last hour. Hasn't been over 0.8 since I got home. Snow getting crispy as oppose to the slushy stuff on the way home. Not sure how far away you live from me - I'm close to the Union St/Holburn St junction.

Now 0.3 - be below zero soon...

Edited by LadyPakal