Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
Well going by the snow risk charts, it certainly isn't just England with the snow risk...

Not sure what's going on there. Perhaps we'll be added :D

The trouble is though BC, ye cannae rely on they Mickey Mouse coloured charts either :doh:

In response to Dexter's post!

Would that no burst yer rivits man :)

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Well if the Meto need to see that it's actually snowing (and has been for a couple hours leaving another couple inches) before they put out the warning then I think that pretty much sums up the nowcasting nature of all of these events.

I think the charts & forecasts are a bit useless just now too, nobody's fault, just don't hink anyone really knows for sure when/where because of the unusual combination of events?

Name me one place up here which has suffered school closures and travel problems today?

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/adverse/list.asp

and more schools just closing now.. oh we're on there now too .. need to go get him

Edited by Snooz

Posted
Well if the Meto need to see that it's actually snowing (and has been for a couple hours leaving another couple inches) before they put out the warning then I think that pretty much sums up the nowcasting nature of all of these events :D

I think the charts & forecasts are a bit useless just now too, nobody's fault, just don't hink anyone really knows for sure when/where because of the unusual combination of events?

http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/adverse/list.asp

and more schools just closing now.. need to go get him :)

Pfft! Northern softies!

Posted

Yeah BI, I don't have much faith in the snow charts myself but as far as I know they are based on the latest GFS run which means that we are at least due some type of precip, for the moment at least, on Sun into Mon. So if England are cold enough for snow then surely we are? I hope :D All I mean is that at the moment the low is due to track across us as well as England so I feel we should be included in the MO warnings.

I agree with others, forget the forecasts - I'm just going to stick my head out the window now and then and hope for the best!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
Very heavy snow shower in Aberdeen just now.

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/xwc_webcamlist.asp

:D:D

Posted

Heavy snow in Aberdeen, another snow event in England with another on the way it seems for sunday...

Central Scotland.... not a scooby......again :)

Edited by Sawel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Heavy snow in Aberdeen, another snow event in England with another on the way it seems for sunday...

Central Scotland.... not a scooby......again :D

Keep the faith. One of those depressions may just track in the right direction and not contain a **[pesky] warm sector.

Noticed your post about this area the other day and looked up the Met O reporting station results from Mylnfield that back up what you said about this decade.

Since 2000 only 2001, 2004 and 2005 [callendar years] have reported more than 10 snow lying days with 2001 and 2005 having 12. The station is near the river by Invergowrie so higher parts may have done a little better. 2002, 2007 and 2008 were abysmal. :D

You have to go back to 1993 or 1994 for more than 20 snow lying days and 1986 for more than 30. :)

From the fifties to the nineties Dundee consistently averaged more snow lying days than Glasgow, Edinburgh and even Inverness [though Dalcross is also a low level site]. Way behind Aberdeen though.

Posted
Keep the faith. One of those depressions may just track in the right direction and not contain a **[pesky] warm sector.

Noticed your post about this area the other day and looked up the Met O reporting station results from Mylnfield that back up what you said about this decade.

Since 2000 only 2001, 2004 and 2005 [callendar years] have reported more than 10 snow lying days with 2001 and 2005 having 12. The station is near the river by Invergowrie so higher parts may have done a little better. 2002, 2007 and 2008 were abysmal. :rolleyes:

You have to go back to 1993 or 1994 for more than 20 snow lying days and 1986 for more than 30. :(

From the fifties to the nineties Dundee consistently averaged more snow lying days than Glasgow, Edinburgh and even Inverness [though Dalcross is also a low level site]. Way behind Aberdeen though.

Yes, times have changed a lot it seems. Oh to have winters again like those of the 80's....

I know it's only the weather but when areas to the north and south of us are getting lots of snow and we're getting nothing...again.... it's just very disappointing.

Edited by Sawel

Posted

Nice satellite view of N England, N Wales & S Scotland here (possibly parts of Ireland too)- showing snow cover. Even some of the Outer Hebrides & Arran (possibly Skye too) seem to have some snow.

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/real...ent/n1bcurr.jpg

Sorry you Central Scotland guys, it doesn't look too good for you - did you install a snow dome?:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/static/uk/next3days/snow

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
Nice satellite view of N England, N Wales & S Scotland here (possibly parts of Ireland too)- showing snow cover. Even some of the Outer Hebrides & Arran (possibly Skye too) seem to have some snow.

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/real...ent/n1bcurr.jpg

Sorry you Central Scotland guys, it doesn't look too good for you - did you install a snow dome?:

Would you look at THAT!!!!!!!!!!

It just stops at the Central Belt. Man alive :doh:

Posted

:doh:

That is unbelievable! Ach well, I hope the people who are actually getting snow enjoy it :) Particularly you guys in Aberdeen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
The showers seem to be trying really hard to come south. But, will they reach the Central belt?

Definetely.....

Not!!!! :)

i know how you feel

have had so many hours of watching snow getting very close to it and it either petered out or turned to rain :)

i still think that we will see at least one major snow event this winter and most likely it will be the one that no one thinks will amount to much

cheer up, there's still hope for sunday/monday- the met office haven't issued a warning for us yet :)

i think some showers might but probably not very many

we'll just have to wait and see

i think we should try and avoid the weather forecasts and charts for the time being as we only end up disappointed

if we just ignore the weather for a bit, maybe it'll come on snow :D

wishful thinking i know

Posted
i know how you feel

have had so many hours of watching snow getting very close to it and it either petered out or turned to rain :rolleyes:

i still think that we will see at least one major snow event this winter and most likely it will be the one that no one thinks will amount to much

cheer up, there's still hope for sunday/monday- the met office haven't issued a warning for us yet :D

i think some showers might but probably not very many

we'll just have to wait and see

i think we should try and avoid the weather forecasts and charts for the time being as we only end up disappointed

if we just ignore the weather for a bit, maybe it'll come on snow :(

wishful thinking i know

I think we will see some snow sun/mon but it will probably not amount too much. Funny that this weather warning is only for England when the band hits Scotland too, bizarre!! Also noticed there is now another weather warning out for parts of England for monday for 5-10cm to accumulate that day but again nowt here?

Why?

Anyway, anyone noticed the complete opposition on longish range forecasts at the moment from various sites? Some mentioning how its getting mild next week then others such as the METO changing from their milder attitude to its continuing cold with further sleet/snow?

Interesting, hopefully we have some hope left yet!

Posted
Yup, it's hosing down. All the kids going back into the school with their lunches are white on the front, black on the back...

So this afternoon's heavy snow was the tale of a polar low!? I am noticing how the showers are spiraling around a 'low' in the north sea. Two amazing snow events lasting 2 hours in the past days in Aberdeen.

What do you reckon for this evening?