Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Guest Shetland Coastie

Agreed chaps. We had apalling weather up here last night and no mention of it. Also no warnings whatsoever from the Meto but then Ive seen us hav Hurricane Force 12 winds and the Meto says nothing. Imagine if that happened down south!

A brighter morning this morning. Theres been a bit more snow overnight and then its frozen so the roads were really crunchy and slippery coming into work this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
I know - I just seen that. Pathetic isn't it.

Blizzards here overnight, higher level routes blocked, but no, an icy pavement in England is more important. Remember, it's only us Scots.

Err can you not tarnish us northerns with the same toilet brush as those pansies down sarf thanks :) .

Its not just icy pavements down there either .. dont forget the CURSE of the "KILLER 3FT ICICLES" which Ironically and THANKFULLY have not killed anyone.. YET.

Posted

Morning All, what's the word on the Rugby at M'field tomorrow ?? My brother's gone up for it, hope he's got his thermals on !!

I gather the pitch has undersoil heating, however, if more snow is due.........any thoughts ?

Err can you not tarnish us northerns with the same toilet brush as those pansies down sarf thanks :) .

Oldham, North ?? Since when ? That's in the midlands !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I have to agree with all you Sweaties... :o It was only after I relocated here, some 21 years' ago, that I came to understand the horrible truth: nothing exists north of the M4 Corridor; it is an undiscoverd hinterland: no tellies, steam radio, horse-drawn carriages, and men in skirts chasing haggises (haggi?)... :o :o

I know where I'd rather be, though...Give me Scottie any day! :D:D

Guest Shetland Coastie

Theres a Polar Low up north of here which looks to have intensified overnight. That could be rather interesting later on.

nw satpic

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Posted

I'm watching the radar avidly - there was a thick snowfall when I got up around 7:30 - but the snow clouds seem to be passing us by a bit inland now - topping up Glenshee again by the looks of it. Some sunshine hereat the moment and a bit of a thaw going on.

Still, the guys a bit further south (not in THE south, mind) have been getting some today, which seems only fair!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
Oldham, North ?? Since when ? That's in the midlands !!

LOL i suppose that is debatable but the fact is authoraties, meto etc etc all class Oldham as the Northwest and our accents are nothing like southerners so that is good enough for me. I'm a northerner and proud mate :o

Posted
Theres a Polar Low up north of here which looks to have intensified overnight. That could be rather interesting later on.

nw satpic

It's remarkable really - all those winters spent examining sat pics for polar lows, only to find none and now in the last 2-3 days we have had an embarrassing number show up...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Morning

emmmm it is snowing heavily here. 1.5 cm down this morning and hanging around 1 C. Lying on the few cms remaining from last monday. Seems there a lot of heavy showers streaming down from the north and making it all the way to the borders.

Where did this come from? When I went to be the good old reliable met office told me I would wake up to glorious sunshine, with a few flurries maybe monday. Now the BBC is telling me I have snow until tuesday, yet I'm still in the green meto warning-wise for today?

And here is me thinking our weather models can accurately predict global warming years in advance (well, once the next 10 years of global cooling is over).

Snow, snow, snow... Bring it on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Really glad that just before the credit crunch I sold my house and bought a huge pile of salt.

Who's laughing now huh!

Posted

Congrats to all that got snow this morning, especially in Fife, i woke up just after the precipitation had gone and found there to be lots of wet paths but no snow in sight! Superb :D

Posted

some super views on traffic scotland webcams, Grantown looks very pretty !

here in IoM we get little of what lands on the surrounding countries as our temps are usually a few degrees up due to the Irish Sea, I don't think we have gone lower than -1c so far in this spell, we have a couple of inches of snow on the mountains but the little we had lower down a few nights ago was gone in a couple of hours.

post-2911-1234005557_thumb.jpg

Edited by Verglas

Posted

Dry and sunny and 1C...This is always happens when heavy snow showers will 'only very slowly die-out during the day'!

And the precipitation chart for Sunday (that someone posted on another thread) had a familiar hole in it - over Easter Ross, Inverness and The Black Isle. Oh poo! :)

Posted

This is one of the most used threads in the Snow Watch section. We in Scotland should have our own Section as the weather can sometimes be dramtically different to the rest of the UK.

The north and west get severe gales regularly and snowfall is generally much more regular during the winter months. If I remember correctly we had our first snowfall in October this winter.

Beautiful sunny morning here with no further snow since dawn. Current temps 0C

Posted
Dry and sunny and 1C...This is always happens when heavy snow showers will 'only very slowly die-out during the day'!

I shouldn't have said that...Now a full-scale blizzard with drifting! :shok: :lol:

Posted
Woohoo - We got a meto warning for Heavy Snow tomorrow.

I fully expect sun splitting skies all day now

Yep, and it only took, what, 2 days to add us in there?!

Edited by BlizzardConditions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

we still have none, yet they are predicting 2 days of succesive 15cm falls in 'lundun on munday end tuessdiey'

well, I have to alert the met office to the fact that it will almost certainly fall as RAIN in the south

also they seem to think that the snow will be worse in the south on sunday/monday.

again there is no evidence that this will be the case.

Bring on the Scottish met. office!!!!

Perhaps they'll at least remember that we exist and not just assume that we are an icy wasteland with lots of kilties running around chasing haggii(plural of haggis) :rolleyes: .

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

afternoon all it was snowing around 8.am for around a hour or so, left a new covering met-office warning for the strathclyde area for tomorrow prob wont hit us till after dark could make Monday morning really interesting indeed. of course i am always cautious of the met-office warnings but lets hope they are

concentrating more on us up here and actually are right for a change.

Edited by glasgow-guy