Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Posted
ZL - I think it was more graupel than hail (spring snow as my other half calls it). Small balls of snow. A fair amount of the March 2006 fall (the later falls) was the same stuff.

Temp here is 0.5, fallen slightly in the last hour. Hasn't been over 0.8 since I got home. Snow getting crispy as oppose to the slushy stuff on the way home. Not sure how far away you live from me - I'm close to the Union St/Holburn St junction.

Now 0.3 - be below zero soon...

I'm Irvine Place, no far.

I think the reason for the slightly less cold air is the closeness of the low which is lying just off the coast. The centre of a low always hold a pocket of milder air. Met Office has it back down to 1.1°c now :rolleyes:

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted

I very much hope that chart is correct EKB but I can't help but be dubious. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if E.K gets a foot of snow and all places around it are bone dry :rolleyes:

Still find it strange that the MO haven't added us to the early warnings yet.

Edited by BlizzardConditions

Posted
I very much hope that chart is correct EKB but I can't help but be dubious. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if E.K got a foot of snow and all places around it are bone dry :rolleyes:

Still find it strange that the MO haven't added us to the early warnings yet.

You got any links to the latest UKMO fax charts? :cray:

Posted
Afraid not mate. To be honest I'm not exactly the best at reading the charts and my negativity regarding snow is basically down to sheer pessimism!

Never mind found it: http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/otherfax.shtml

Guest Shetland Coastie

Evening all. Managed to get home, eventually. We decided it would be best to take the Coastguard 4WD home with us tonight. As were back in tomorrow at least it means we have a way of getting back in to work so my colleague has it with her and she'll pick the rest of us on the way in.

Even in a big 4WD it took me 20 minutes to get home, a drive that would normally take just 5. We had over an inch of snow come down in half an hour. Its now eased somewhat although it is still snowing. Absolute chaos in the north of Shetland with vehicles off the road all over the place including 2 buses.

Im making preparations for tomorrow including packing an overnight bag just in case I get stuck in the station as more heavy snow and the possibility of a Polar Low is forecast for tomorrow.

Posted
Evening all. Managed to get home, eventually. We decided it would be best to take the Coastguard 4WD home with us tonight. As were back in tomorrow at least it means we have a way of getting back in to work so my colleague has it with her and she'll pick the rest of us on the way in.

Even in a big 4WD it took me 20 minutes to get home, a drive that would normally take just 5. We had over an inch of snow come down in half an hour. Its now eased somewhat although it is still snowing. Absolute chaos in the north of Shetland with vehicles off the road all over the place including 2 buses.

Im making preparations for tomorrow including packing an overnight bag just in case I get stuck in the station as more heavy snow and the possibility of a Polar Low is forecast for tomorrow.

Lucky ******* :-)

Posted

sounds intense!

Posted

Charts here show different from my post above.

Posted

Looks like things could remain cold with snow chances throughout February according to the Met Office.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 11 Feb 2009 to Friday 20 Feb 2009:

It will continue cold through the end of the week with showers feeding southwards in the northerly flow, these showers will be wintry at times, especially over hills in the south, and at lower ground in central areas and places further north. Over the weekend there is the likelihood that conditions will turn drier with bright spells, but still cold with the chance of a some wintry showers, especially in northern and eastern areas. Overnight frosts will be locally sharp. Through the following week conditions look like they will continue cold with the ongoing risk of wintry showers feeding southwards, these locally heavy at times. Again some brighter spells are likely, but with sometimes sharp overnight frosts.

Updated: 1150 on Fri 6 Feb 2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
The showers seem to be trying really hard to come south. But, will they reach the Central belt?

Definetely.....

Not!!!! :wallbash:

We aren't having much luck here at lower levels, seems we'll have to head for the lammermuirs over the weekend to see any snow!! lol

Edited by snowy owl

Guest Shetland Coastie
Aye, lets hope. His usual is GOORG A aBLOOORG SNARF DADADA FUDAFUDA.

Welcome back Catch, glad to hear young Catch II is on the mend :doh:

Speaking of blasts from the past..........you're from Kilmacolm :rolleyes:

Posted
Hey Cookie, how are you? Sorry I went AWOL but I have had a really hard time recently. I should have been in touch but have really been out of the game for so many reasons.

As for snow? Do you mean "NO"??? We have had almost nothing here!!

welcome back, you should be a magician you're so good at vanishing.

you're completely forgiven.

glad you're back though.

the weather comp was rigged anyway :rolleyes:

Posted
I am from Kilmacolm. And I can exclusively reveal that in this cold spell, Kilmacolm is the worst place except Ross B's house for snow. nope - still swearinging sh*te. Total and utter P****ish. C****rud. Not even enough to call a covering.

This is usual:

This is now what we get: pathetic!!!

I can't even do the patheticness justice.....

You're wearing gloves??!

Lightweight! :D

Posted
I am from Kilmacolm. And I can exclusively reveal that in this cold spell, Kilmacolm is the worst place except Ross B's house for snow.

lol, welcome back :( It's not just me now... there are another 2 members from killie and a few from Ayr as well!

We may get a dusting if those showers make it this far south...

Any reports from Edinburgh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
It's raining, I give up.

:D snow here, beginning to lie

where abouts in fife are you?