Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
whereabouts are you mate?near liverpool?

Hale, Halton about 10 miles east of liverpool..just checked the bbc forecast for liverpool which serves our area and it says predominant weather for today heavy snow

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
:)

sounds GOOD!!!

the band of intensifying snow has moved imperceptibly slightly further south and if that hits thats quite a heavy band of snow but as i look at it, it seems to either be defragmenting a little bit or its loosing its intensity or i may well be wrong its hard to tell on this pass.

Just checked on BBCi virgin media and just seen the forecast, looks pretty impressive with practically the whole of the northwest under heavy snow by 3pm..just out of curiosity if this is going to come off why hasnt the met upgraded to a warning or severe warning..the bbc forecast looks to me like a nice big dumping for most people unless they are very wrong..but dont they get that info from the met?

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted

Fingers crossed. We had a very cold night here last night there is frost on the grass and on the bushes and trees in the garden looks alomst as if there has been a light dusting. Still feels cold as the cloud is increasing from the West. All the forecasts point to snow - but i have not dared to tell the children yet, i have done that too many times already :)

Posted
I think its our turn today guys. B)

More elevation will help esp as the band pushes through towards the back end when the temps will rise as the air gets more 'mixed' out.Difficult to assess depths as there is no real mention of the intensity of the band.Im hopeful the band will pick up as it crosses the Irish sea.

The one down side is those nearer the coast will probably only see a period of wet snow before the dews get high enough to trigger sleet or rain,this might become mroe apparent as the precip becomes lighter.we can hope the skies clear in quick time after the band has passed so the temps can drop back again and prevent to much melt.

So that means the fylde coast is gonna miss out again? Please don't dash my hopes yet !!!!!! Felt like i've lived on another planet for the last week:D

Posted
So that means the fylde coast is gonna miss out again? Please don't dash my hopes yet !!!!!! Felt like i've lived on another planet for the last week:D

actually according to the latest forecast and latest nw radar your in the direct firing line. for us slightly further south the band of intensive snow is certainly loosing its intensity..bbc forecast on news 24 now 856am they definately down playing day time snow compared to the BBCi forecast at 830am, who knows thats maybe a good thing as temps will be that much lower..but i think some definate snow coming through in the next couple of hours.

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
the band of intensifying snow has moved imperceptibly slightly further south and if that hits thats quite a heavy band of snow but as i look at it, it seems to either be defragmenting a little bit or its loosing its intensity or i may well be wrong its hard to tell on this pass.

Just checked on BBCi virgin media and just seen the forecast, looks pretty impressive with practically the whole of the northwest under heavy snow by 3pm...

Nice to read that mate! Blackpool airport is at -3c with DP of -4c - just hoping it won't stray too far in an upward direction as the cloud/ppn approaches. Have to go out till about lunchtime so will be watchging the skies keenly. I so hope this could be good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Keep an eye on the GFS Runs today.Mon Night event creeping ever Northwards on each Run.

As for today we will be fine 5cm for low ground maybe turning Sleety on the back edge on low

Ground for high ground another 10cm by the end of the day

Posted
Nice to read that mate! Blackpool airport is at -3c with DP of -4c - just hoping it won't stray too far in an upward direction as the cloud/ppn approaches. Have to go out till about lunchtime so will be watchging the skies keenly. I so hope this could be good.

I always hate snow coming of the irish sea, it will probably defragment quite a bit leaving it far more patchy, though the stuff behind could prove interesting if the bbc are to believed tonight, there could be a serious dumping from north wales northwards.

temp now -0.4C

Dew Point -2

wind chill -4

Oh dear dew point going back up again..it really needs to be steady. and temps slowly climbing. I am hoping this dew point doesnt climb any higher.

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Lastest NW radar image for 09:15 :

post-7665-1234084459_thumb.jpg

Shame those notherly winds wernt stronger, im sure they would have help to slow the front down even futher.

Posted
Lastest NW radar image for 09:15 :

post-7665-1234084459_thumb.jpg

Shame those notherly winds wernt stronger, im sure they would have help to slow the front down even futher.

yeps and also a shame it spilt up during the night. Problem now is whether we are going to see a warm sector of air ahead of that main snowband heading west. slight temp climb here dew has gone up from -3C to -2C but then previously it fell back to -3C, my other concern is the temp..beeb say max is 2 and predominately heavy snow for liverpool and region..I am not so sure. mind you we have upper air at -8C so it might not be so bad afterall

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
yeps and also a shame it spilt up during the night. Problem now is whether we are going to see a warm sector of air ahead of that main snowband heading west. slight temp climb here dew has gone up from -3C to -2C but then previously it fell back to -3C, my other concern is the temp..beeb say max is 2 and predominately heavy snow for liverpool and region..I am not so sure. mind you we have up air at -8C so it might not be so bad afterall

Just bought the netweather full package (which id reccomend coz the amount of options are mind boggling) for a month and after a quick look .. the precip type radar shows the actuall snow to be slightly better than rainfall image the only sleet and rain appear to be on its far southern/ back edge atm. not only that as this fronts hits the uk it looks as though it will start back on SE track due to the wind factors coming down from the north. so it could be quite prolonged.

Cumbria area might get the heaviest out of it too ( along with southern scotland) which the GFS was suggesting the past couple of days.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
Just bought the netweather full package (which id reccomend coz the amount of options are mind boggling) for a month and after a quick look .. the precip type radar shows the actuall snow to be slightly better than rainfall image the only sleet and rain appear to be on its far southern/ back edge atm. not only that as this fronts hits the uk it looks as though it will start back on SE track due to the wind factors coming down from the north. so it could be quite prolonged.

Cumbria area might get the heaviest out of it too ( along with southern scotland) which the GFS was suggesting the past couple of days.

I only have the radar package..i just use the free gfs with the radar kind works out nice really. it does look like a load of snow out there in the irish sea, though nowhere near as intense as it was coming out of ireland but thats to be expected i guess but id like to see that bigger darker band to head further south than it currently is. I agree deffo with the se potential especially as it hits the wind from the north. Latest beeb forecast has the snow lasting in the region until around 11pm, with the more heavier snow from about 3-11pm, the good thing is we'll still cop this stuff from the irish sea well before then, even if its only light with the amount out there it could produce quite a covering..though i saw a few glitches with the radar before, so i doubt the defragmentation is that bad lol

the temp cant make its mind up, now its back to -1.4C lol

Dew still at -2C.

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted

Snowing nicely in Dublin which is always a good sign :cold:http://www.allcladdagh.com/webcam.htm Just hope the Irish sea doesnt warm things up too much. Temp is up to 0.2c here now with a dewpoint of -2.8c.

Posted
I only have the radar package..i just use the free gfs with the radar kind works out nice really. it does look like a load of snow out there in the irish sea, though nowhere near as intense as it was coming out of ireland but thats to be expected i guess but id like to see that bigger darker band to head further south than it currently is. I agree deffo with the se potential especially as it hits the wind from the north. Latest beeb forecast has the snow lasting in the region until around 11pm, with the more heavier snow from about 3-11pm, the good thing is we'll still cop this stuff from the irish sea well before then, even if its only light with the amount out there it could produce quite a covering..though i saw a few glitches with the radar before, so i doubt the defragmentation is that bad lol

Sounds good mate, it maybe could still be similar to mondays amount .. well not including the drifts, back then the snow wasnt big flakes or that heavy just fine stuff mainly and it was just the persistance of it that caused most of the accumilations. So heres hoping for a long period of snow showers :cold:

For us on the Fylde coast it doesn't look too bad. However being on such low level ground it's always hit and miss, as you know :cold:

Posted
Just seen the update from the GFS (06Z) has the 528 line further South on this run, can only be good news for us.

have a look at the snow chance on the gfs it isnt looking as good as it was on its last run. but then again i really really shouldnt be using that lolol

Sounds good mate, it maybe could still be similar to mondays amount .. well not including the drifts, back then the snow wasnt big flakes or that heavy just fine stuff mainly and it was just the persistance of it that caused most of the accumilations. So heres hoping for a long period of snow showers :cold:

unfortunately we didnt really get anything from monday, id say maybe a slight dusting..if i remember it was pretty poor for us, so this could be the best we have seen all winter.

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted

Look at northern ireland and northern wales / angelsy cams on this link (by clicking the dots on the map) : Uk&Ireland Cams

nothing happening in these areas lol the ppn should be over them :o

Posted
Look at northern ireland and northern wales / angelsy cams on this link (by clicking the dots on the map) : Uk&Ireland Cams

nothing happening in these areas lol the ppn should be over them :o

snow in armagh, but the other webcams are poorly positioned..mind you i clicked on chester and it isnt looking to rosey there, their dew point is -0.8C and their temp is is at 0.2C mind you our temp is exactly the same but we still have -2C dewpoint..i think there is going to be a cut off point of the snow, and that being wales western most parts and north from liverpool even then it could be touch and go further north until around 3ish this afternoon as temps and dew points drop off again...might be in for are really good dumping..but the more optimisitc i feel for those like me at near ground level or even at sea level near to liverpool, southport and likely blackpool and inland from there..i can see the coasts getting slightly more than a good dusting, and even more after dark for a time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
actually according to the latest forecast and latest nw radar your in the direct firing line. for us slightly further south the band of intensive snow is certainly loosing its intensity..bbc forecast on news 24 now 856am they definately down playing day time snow compared to the BBCi forecast at 830am, who knows thats maybe a good thing as temps will be that much lower..but i think some definate snow coming through in the next couple of hours.

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on NW and hopefully this evening will deliver for the North West after the most frustrating week I have ever know.

Its now or never for the North West.

Fingers crossed.

Andy

Posted
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on NW and hopefully this evening will deliver for the North West after the most frustrating week I have ever know.

Its now or never for the North West.

Fingers crossed.

Andy

Welcome Andy. There's few from the Eden Valley in here.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
Welcome Andy. There's few from the Eden Valley in here.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Thanks Mark,

Viewing the North West thread on NW this week has kept be sane because the pain of repeatedly missing the snow is shared :cold:

My family in Birmingham have had 4 seperate snowfalls this week with another expected tonight and yet another on Monday night, hopfully this evening will at least turn my lawn white but I have a nagging doubt and it could all go wrong.

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm not really worried about borderline, I know thats an issue here, bu there are classic signs of Wirral and Coastal North Wales desert effect coming into play.