Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
Met Office advisory has just been updated and now includes more of the uk with the northern extent running into southern Scotland and the southern edge now covering most of the Midlands .

The amount of snow forecast has also been increased slightly although i must add, 10cm is hardly "The Day After Tomorrow" stuff.Geographically speaking our region is, for once bang centre of the action rather than on the edge, or as been the case lately, just beyond the edge.

It will be interesting to see what we can achieve from this set up.

Please, please no downgrades.

10cm would equate to more than the total snowfall we have had in the last 20 years,i moved here in 1989 from Snowy Brum :)

Edited by Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
Do you think we might get something this afternoon from those showers coming down from the north, the cloud in Bacup keeps coming and going, but no real thaw in evidence, its still thick on the ground.

Shadowfax

be very surprised if we got anthing for than a few flurrys today, the wind direction is from the north which means that the Cumbrian mountains get in our way much the same as the Pennines are such a pain for easterly snow across western Lancashire & Cheshire.

it is looking quite positive for tomorrow and at least we currently have snow about although not as much as earlier in the week.

10cm would equate to more than the total snowfall we have had in the last 20 years,i moved here in 1989 from Snowy Brum :)

yes Wigan isn't exacly the snow caital of the UK is it.

we have friends who live in St. Helens who can't believe the amount of snow we get here.

if we had known them 20 years earlier though, they wouldn't believe how little we now got compared to then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Latest News 24 forecast had a nice white area moving right over our region tomorrow from the west and actually got mentioned as 'something we're watching' or words to that effect! Yes - the nw gets recognised at last! That was then eclipsed by the word 'major' for the snow coming into the s-e on Mon, but at least there's ppn heading our way. From a personal POV, I think I saw a small strip of blue on the edge of the white area, but if it is rain here, then I'm down the M55 till it changes and going to Beacon Fell or some hill away from the dreaded coast. Good luck to all tomorrow - heaven knows we need it! :lol:

Posted
be very surprised if we got anthing for than a few flurrys today, the wind direction is from the north which means that the Cumbrian mountains get in our way much the same as the Pennines are such a pain for easterly snow across western Lancashire & Cheshire.

it is looking quite positive for tomorrow and at least we currently have snow about although not as much as earlier in the week.

yes Wigan isn't exacly the snow caital of the UK is it.

we have friends who live in St. Helens who can't believe the amount of snow we get here.

if we had known them 20 years earlier though, they wouldn't believe how little we now got compared to then

I think it is probably even worse in St Helens (if that is possible), as they are nearer to the sea/Mersey and at quite a low level..i used to work in St Helens and on the very odd occasion it snowed in Wigan you could bet your life on it that it would be raining there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
I think it is probably even worse in St Helens (if that is possible), as they are nearer to the sea/Mersey and at quite a low level..i used to work in St Helens and on the very odd occasion it snowed in Wigan you could bet your life on it that it would be raining there

And usually apart from optimum circumstances, if its snowing in St Helens its usually raining or sleeting here :lol:

We do live in a poor region for snow don't we.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

must admit we've had several overnight and weekend stays there during the last 10 or so winters and can never remember seing any snow on the ground.

they spent a New Year period with us about 4 years back and followed the midnight celebrations and plenty of alcohol by having snow ball fights and pushing stranded cars on the road outside our house.

Posted

Just been into town and it's bloomin freezing out there in the wind, snow still on the ground in the shade but we have a balmy temp of 5 degrees. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow..

Edited by Louise

Posted
And usually apart from optimum circumstances, if its snowing in St Helens its usually raining or sleeting here :doh:

We do live in a poor region for snow don't we.

:lol: :lol:

Yes we do , and really drives me mad , i do like it up these parts but the weather really frustrates me..my Dad still lives in Birmingham and you guarantee that in the summer it's sunnier and hotter down there and in the winter it's colder and snowier...i think the only thing we beat them with is RAIN!!!

must admit we've had several overnight and weekend stays there during the last 10 or so winters and can never remember seing any snow on the ground.

they spent a New Year period with us about 4 years back and followed the midnight celebrations and plenty of alcohol by having snow ball fights and pushing stranded cars on the road outside our house.

That would have been nice for them, it's normally alcohol, fights and stealing cars that goes on in St Helens :rolleyes: ...only joking

Edited by Spurry

Posted
:rolleyes::doh:

Yes we do , and really drives me mad , i do like it up these parts but the weather really frustrates me..my Dad still lives in Birmingham and you guarantee that in the summer it's sunnier and hotter down there and in the winter it's colder and snowier...i think the only thing we beat them with is RAIN!!!

even the type of rain that makes the news misses the North West

we usually end up with torrential drizzle or as Peter Kay says that fine rain that soaks you through.

Posted
even the type of rain that makes the news misses the North West

we usually end up with torrential drizzle or as Peter Kay says that fine rain that soaks you through.

:rolleyes::doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted
:rolleyes::doh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i know it's easy to sulk at our own situation but i think there is much to be said for just how uninteresting the weather is in NW England.

don't get me wrong i for one have the utmost sympathy for anyone who gets flooded out and came very close to injury at work during a severe gale in January 2007.

i have also spent many occasions digging my car out of snow drifts and had to leave it for the night on a few.

however on the whole our region does not experience severe weather events.

we are occasionally, as with the January 2007 gales part of the action but seldom the place which makes the headlines.

would be interesting to see what information Mr. Data has on North West based severe weather events over the years.

Posted

I am glad we're still on track for a wintry spell tomorrow. Mind you,i would be a lot happier if the band of precipitation was to reach us in the evening rather than daytime but hey ho. I think inland areas can expect a couple of hours of snowfall before it turns to sleet/light rain and then clears to leave a possibly icy night. We need to see the skies clear quickly after the band. If cloud persists, then a lot of thawing in low lying areas and cities.

At this stage, i don't think the coastal areas will manage to keep any accumulations as there will be a light westerly breeze behind the band which means the Irish sea will keep temperatures above freezing there.

I'd find it very satisfying to receive 10cms of snow as somebody mentioned but this is for high ground i'm afraid! a light covering would be fine for me.

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted

was debating where to post on here again after the other day...people being horrible...my son said we had snow showers last night about 3am.The weather isnt looking good for next week either...but I dont know if we will get any more snow on the Wirral...I cant believe the whole thing is starting again in the London region on monday...its very freaky dont you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Depends wether current gfs charts or the meto forcasts verify i think, theres still alot of uncertainties even with tomorrows event. As far as next weeks weather is concered the south and south east look like getting a right good soaking before any chance of snow which I hope they do as seen as most of the precip has been going there way. Even tomorrows precip was heading for us but oh no, it weakens slighty as it passes over us then really intesifies when it heads towards the london area. Very very annoying.

We'll just have to wait and see :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters
was debating where to post on here again after the other day...people being horrible...my son said we had snow showers last night about 3am.The weather isnt looking good for next week either...but I dont know if we will get any more snow on the Wirral...I cant believe the whole thing is starting again in the London region on monday...its very freaky dont you think?

Hmm i agree, unfair i call it :lol: they must be getting sick of the stuff by now...

Anyway we all pretty much have some chance of seeing some tomorrow evening, so chins up! Something tells me this might come off for once - even if it's just a gut feeling.

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Got down to -9.1°C last night and it certainly felt very cold, all the way back up to 2.5°C now though. Tomorrow still looks interesting, no massive amounts but still a nice covering in places I think.

Posted
As far as next weeks weather is concered the south and south east look like getting a right good soaking before any chance of snow

Depends on what you call the south..

I'm south Midlands ,but also classed as East Midlands.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/...t_warnings.html

If thats correct ^^ could be upto 17 inches of snow in this area ..including the 9 inches in the garden now. :lol:

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted
Depends wether current gfs charts or the meto forcasts verify i think, theres still alot of uncertainties even with tomorrows event. As far as next weeks weather is concered the south and south east look like getting a right good soaking before any chance of snow which I hope they do as seen as most of the precip has been going there way. Even tomorrows precip was heading for us but oh no, it weakens slighty as it passes over us then really intesifies when it heads towards the london area. Very very annoying.

We'll just have to wait and see :lol:

It can feel annoying to see the south under inches of snow and a lot less here. However, snowcover is a good thing as it helps to keep the temperatures down. If in the coming days we get a southeasterly wind ahead of a band of precipitation, then this wind will be passing from the snow fields of the south and will be a lot colder as a result. So let's say if Mon/Tue low tracks a little further north to affect us, then we'll have a much better chance of seing snowfall here as a result of the snowfields in the south.

I am not saying that the low will track far enough north to reach us, i am just using it as an example of snow cover.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I suppose Wirral is one of the more benign weather places in the NW of England.

Generally summers are warmer and drier than other places in NW England

Generally winter are milder and drier than other places in NW England

South Wirral for example on average has around 650mm/yr of rain, which is into the 'semi arid' bracket of rainfall amounts.

Interesting extremes but for storms, snow etc it's a bit of a drag!

Not sure about tomorrow's snow - maybe fairly light/wet at low levels. However I am more optimistic for Monday night/Tuesday. The Met Office aren't having any of it for our region which seems to run contrary to the model outputs which puts us firmly in the firing line.

Posted
Just read through recent posts and watched News24 forecast earlier. I must admit that I always thought the best chance for snow in these parts and further east in the nw too would be from a western frontal system coming up against the residing cold. Not looking too clever for anything major, but the major snow of Feb 6th-7th 1996, (and no, I'm not saying a repeat is on the cards), the front from the west was expected to push through quickly and mildness to win hands down. That didn't happen, so who knows, this could be better than expected. Please feel free to bring down any false hopes this post might raise, as I do sometimes live in a hopecasting world! :lol:

To be fair you have made a valid point there - there are similarities to the Feb '96 event which was much more intense than expected. I think parts of the regions will see snowfall (of sorts), however, we need the various factors I outlined in a previous post to swing in our favour. Also these systems swing in favour for a region - especially on western coastal locations. If temps stay down in your location any ppn should fall as snow.

Hot*Snow

Posted

I have lived on the wirral for nearly 9 years.i came from cardiff(which saw loads of snow most years depending were abouts you were).In the city centre towards the late 70s it didnt snow that much.I moved up towards the outskirts in 1980...Oh yes we had loads of snow that cut you off for days.Th Wirral is so strange for weather....Where Mr SP is the weather is very different from Bromborough weather.But It is very varied on the wirral...more so than Cardiff...Its good but you never can tell what will happen next.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

I will be happy if these 2 charts verify, even if it does only produce 3 hours or so of snow.

post-509-1234019037_thumb.png post-509-1234019050_thumb.png

Hoping that maybe this time it'll stick unlike last Monday. Maybe the 12z will even show an upgrade!.

To be fair you have made a valid point there - there are similarities to the Feb '96 event which was much more intense than expected. I think parts of the regions will see snowfall (of sorts), however, we need the various factors I outlined in a previous post to swing in our favour. Also these systems swing in favour for a region - especially on western coastal locations. If temps stay down in your location any ppn should fall as snow.

Hot*Snow

I think it's fairly different to 96 where the front stalled - this one's not going to hang about.

I will be happy if these 2 charts verify, even if it does only produce 3 hours or so of snow.

post-509-1234019037_thumb.png post-509-1234019050_thumb.png

Hoping that maybe this time it'll stick unlike last Monday. Maybe the 12z will even show an upgrade!.

I think those are 3 hour totals so it is actually 6 hours of snow :)

Posted
I think it's fairly different to 96 where the front stalled - this one's not going to hang about.

I think those are 3 hour totals so it is actually 6 hours of snow :)

...emphasis because 6 hours of sleet would be very disconcerting! :)

Even if it habgs about for a while would be something.