Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
Thanks Mark,

Viewing the North West thread on NW this week has kept be sane because the pain of repeatedly missing the snow is shared :rolleyes:

My family in Birmingham have had 4 seperate snowfalls this week with another expected tonight and yet another on Monday night, hopfully this evening will at least turn my lawn white but I have a nagging doubt and it could all go wrong.

Andy

there is currently a band of snow thats according to gfs nw radar precip type heading west towards your region so you never know and it should intensify over northern ireland this afternoon, as long as the sea dont warm it up too much your good for some snow id have to say :)

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted
Thanks Mark,

Viewing the North West thread on NW this week has kept be sane because the pain of repeatedly missing the snow is shared :rolleyes:

My family in Birmingham have had 4 seperate snowfalls this week with another expected tonight and yet another on Monday night, hopfully this evening will at least turn my lawn white but I have a nagging doubt and it could all go wrong.

Andy

Just pray ECM is right, its our only hope at this stage.

I'm just focusing on temps if that goes wrong, wouldn't mind a sub zero month and as many ice days as possible.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
Hi Guys.... :)

I'm new to this forum...whats the chance of snow in the windermere area...because we never get any.... :rolleyes: ...ha.ha...!

welcome to the forums, id say your chance is probably as good as the above post :)

Posted
Hi Guys.... :)

I'm new to this forum...whats the chance of snow in the windermere area...because we never get any.... :) ...ha.ha...!

i know the feeling :rolleyes: im desperate to see just a little snow!

Posted
Just pray ECM is right, its our only hope at this stage.

I'm just focusing on temps if that goes wrong, wouldn't mind a sub zero month and as many ice days as possible.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

i've a feeling this is our last good chance for a dumping this winter..cant see any of the snow from the south reaching this far north, but you never know..i think it's either today for this region or never..dew points are holding steady so far this morning which is a good positive sign along with the temp which hasnt shifted at all..good conditions but i just hope that is snow out there on the Irish sea, number of places that cloud is over, is not showing any snow apart from armargh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
Hi Guys.... :D

I'm new to this forum...whats the chance of snow in the windermere area...because we never get any.... :cray: ...ha.ha...!

Yeah its looking ok for your area atm and those north of say Preston.

The bad news for me is the huge gap appearing in the front which is heading my way :doh: .

On second thoughts the radar shows ppn has now intensified in that gap lol. This is a nightmare to follow.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

The bad news for me is the huge gap appearing in the front which is heading my way :cray: .

On second thoughts the radar shows ppn has now intensified in that gap lol. This is a nightmare to follow.

your not joking there, cant understand the radar producing gaps then filling them, especially when it does appear to once again intensify lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
i've a feeling this is our last good chance for a dumping this winter..cant see any of the snow from the south reaching this far north, but you never know..i think it's either today for this region or never..dew points are holding steady so far this morning which is a good positive sign along with the temp which hasnt shifted at all..good conditions but i just hope that is snow out there on the Irish sea, number of places that cloud is over, is not showing any snow apart from armargh

This is my take on this for this evening.

The band of snow moving in from the west will affect most of the North West with the best snowfall in the Lake District, East Lancashire and Manchester areas, outside these areas there are two dangers.

In my own part of East Cumbria the danger is that the snow will fragment across the Lake District mountains and be patchy, the other problem is for coastal areas of the Region where snow might struggle to settle at sea level so places like Blackpool could be marginal, however, even a bit of altitude or distance from the sea will reduce this risk so inland parts of Merseyside and Lancashire should do O.K.

If I had to pick a spot tonight for the best snow it would be the South Lakes (Winderemere area), East Lancashire and North/East Manchester.

Andy

Posted
This is my take on this for this evening.

The band of snow moving in from the west will affect most of the North West with the best snowfall in the Lake District, East Lancashire and Manchester areas, outside these areas there are two dangers.

In my own part of East Cumbria the danger is that the snow will fragment across the Lake District mountains and be patchy, the other problem is for coastal areas of the Region where snow might struggle to settle at sea level so places like Blackpool could be marginal, however, even a bit of altitude or distance from the sea will reduce this risk so inland parts of Merseyside and Lancashire should do O.K.

If I had to pick a spot tonight for the best snow it would be the South Lakes (Winderemere area), East Lancashire and North/East Manchester.

Andy

lets see what happens from 3pm on id say, there is meant to be a better chance of snow even at ground level during the evening hours as temps drop off again...i hope we also see that snow from tomorrow night reach as far north as merseyside, halton it could be interesting if it does..looks like it could produce a hell of a lot of snow..would be ironic if we got nothing today or tomorrow..that to me would mean the entire country got some good snow..apart from northwest nevada desert lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

The bad news for me is the huge gap appearing in the front which is heading my way :lol: .

hey mate, what time do you expect it to arrive here?still got plenty up there?

Posted

Loooking at the last beeb forecast, I wouldn't be suprised to see a mild sector move a fair way inland this evening. Hope I'm wrong, as this is causing many from the North West severe depression, me included!

Posted
Loooking at the last beeb forecast, I wouldn't be suprised to see a mild sector move a fair way inland this evening. Hope I'm wrong, as this is causing many from the North West severe depression, me included!

well dew point has risen again to -1C and temp now 1.2C this is not looking good..that band is taking an eternity to arrive..and i fear the only thing anyone is going to see is rain perhaps sleet

its now turned to sleet in dublin.

Edited by NorthWest_Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
Hi Guys.... :D

I'm new to this forum...whats the chance of snow in the windermere area...because we never get any.... :) ...ha.ha...!

.......Your having me on pal....! :) Wheres yer legs? - you not even gone sledging at the Kirkstone (less than 5 miles away from you) - look up to the fells.... :lol:

.....2mm Max so far in Preston - laughable :lol:

Posted

Just seen the 11am N24 forecast, not looking good. She mentioned the snow in N Ireland, and tomorrows low pressure for the South and Midlands. Looking at the graphics the rain arrives in the NW around 3 ish and stays as rain for areas around the coast. Snow further inland, the usual thing really snow East of the M6. The heavier stuff seems to be heading over N ire and into SW Scotland and the lakes. Too early to call it a non event but the forecasts certainly are not getting any better.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
hey mate, what time do you expect it to arrive here?still got plenty up there?

Alright mate,Yep pretty much the same covering since monday with the odd little thawed out patch. mainly the paths and roads but not too bad really.

As for this precip the some patchy showers should be hitting the coasts around the southport area about now for us inland it depends becuase again the radar is showing well,errm not much of anything heading our atm. Keeps showing a mighty gap in precip heading our way then re-intesifying it lol.

Too hard to say when we get it atm but a couple of ours i would think. .. thats providing the ppn reapears on the radar :lol:

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
Alright mate,Yep pretty much the same covering since monday with the odd little thawed out patch. mainly the paths and roads but not too bad really.

As for this precip the some patchy showers should be hitting the coasts around the southport area about now for us inland it depends becuase again the radar is showing well,errm not much of anything heading our atm. Keeps showing a mighty gap in precip heading our way then re-intesifying it lol.

Too hard to say when we get it atm but a couple of ours i would think. .. thats providing the ppn reapears on the radar :lol:

nice one cheers for that,off out on the motorbike and dont want to get caught out lol!we've got a fair bit here on the the street but it is thinning now.quite a nice sight lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

its lovely and sunny now with cloud all around in all directions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
its lovely and sunny now with cloud all around in all directions.

Ditto :D

Posted

Most of the snow has thawed here, there's the odd patch here and there, and quite a lot still on a neighbours shed which is always in the shade lol

I'm hoping temperatures don't rise too much if/when we do get any precipitation coming our way from the rain band that's coming in from the west now. It appears to be heading over Northern Ireland and set for Scotland, we might be too far south to get anything decent.

Posted
Most of the snow has thawed here, there's the odd patch here and there, and quite a lot still on a neighbours shed which is always in the shade lol

I'm hoping temperatures don't rise too much if/when we do get any precipitation coming our way from the rain band that's coming in from the west now. It appears to be heading over Northern Ireland and set for Scotland, we might be too far south to get anything decent.

me being a newbie on here-wots the best temperature for snow to fall and stick?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

The latest graphics on News24 show the snow fragmenting quickly across the North West with most of the snow going through the Midlands :D

Yet the radar shows the snow heading straight for us.

I give up :lol:

Andy

Posted
me being a newbie on here-wots the best temperature for snow to fall and stick?

it is the dew point that is the most important.they say snow can fall at 5C provided the dew point is low enough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Met Office Radar for NW Engand has The PPN heading directly for us

No need to panic at this Stage

Posted
it is the dew point that is the most important.they say snow can fall at 5C provided the dew point is low enough

thanks! its taking me a while to get my head around this weather.lol. :D