Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 08/09 Review

Posted

Mmmm, you know what, this Winter actually felt like a real Winter, something I haven't felt for a few years. Some one posted that we had seen snow

every month somewhere in this country since October, fantastic! That said, although we had longer periods of cold, with Easterlies at times, snow was in short supply, though when we got it, well the photo gallery says it all! Some very memorable events, and my children's first proper snowman in years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Apart from those days in early Febuary it felt pretty normal to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
views here.

Maybe you'd like to start us with something?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Apart from those days in early Febuary it felt pretty normal to be honest.

That's what was so refreshing about it, we finally had a normal winter - a mix of cold, wet, mild and dry. We had very mild conditions before Xmas, severe cold in late December/early January. Then a pretty average spell through most of January. A cold spell at the start of February which most people won't forget in a hurry, then we had a mild spell at the end of Feb.

I thought it was a good winter!

Posted

It wasnt exceptional but it was notable, mainly because of the number of days with lying snow, we had around 25days of lying snow, which is something which hasn't been seen round here for quite some time and the cold which was very prominent at the beginning of DEC/JAN/FEB. Normally cold air tends to sick around for a few days at best, but this year the cold has stayed around for well over a week which is quite an achivement. But snow wise it has been for here above average for the number of fresh snowfall, but for a deep covering this winter has been average, on average we see a deep covering (10cm-20cm) at least twice a year. Anyway this has proved the UK can (and will) have cold winters, even with "global warming".

Snow stats-

November 25th: 1cm of lying snow

December 2nd: 3cm of fresh snow

3rd: 4cm of fresh snow

4th: 10-15cm of fresh snow

16th:Continuos lying snow till this date, also fresh 1-3cm of snow

Jan: 1st:2cm of fesh snowfall

17th:2-3cm of fresh snowfall

Feb:2nd: 5-7cm of fresh snowfall

3rd: 15-25cm of fresh snowfall

5th: 3-5cm of fresh snowfall

8th: 3-4cm of fresh snowfall

10th: 1-3cm of fresh snowfall

14th: Lying snow till 14th also 1cm of fresh snowfall

March: 3rd:1cm of fresh snowfall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

crappy winter really 2009 even larger teapot, nothing special about it at all, yeah a few snow days but nothimg compared to pre 2000's, 0nly 1 ice day 6th jan

turned mild on 14th feb and never got cold again, my last snow was on 8th feb, snowless march, bring back retro winters loads of snow minus maximums snow lasting a week

Posted

I thought many had already reviewed winter 08-09 some time ago-admittedly it was done before the ink was dry, so to speak, on the winter but chat at length many did.

As to the initial poster, yes maybe you would like to give your thoughts?

Perhaps the following extracts out of 'Weather' the R Met S journal for April may sum it up.

UK mean temperature Dec-Feb was 0.5C below the 1971-2000 average. Provisionally the coldest since 1996-97 but for some areas since 1995-96.

Re snow- they comment that the early Feb period was the snowiest since Feb 1991.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Cleadon it was comparable temperature wise to 2000/01 (the North East generally had higher temperatures relative to normal than the rest of England). It was the snowiest February since 1996, though by the coast the snow never lay for long. The winter was comparable in snowiness to 2003/04 overall, and was beaten only by 1993/94 and 1995/96 in the last 16 years.

So notable in the context of recent years.

Note John's reference to the RMetS publication using data from the Met Office. The winter was generally more notable in the south (especially south-west) than in the north- though Aberdeen had 13 days of lying snow in February, a total equalled only in 2001 in the last 16 years.

Posted
In Cleadon it was comparable temperature wise to 2000/01 (the North East generally had higher temperatures relative to normal than the rest of England). It was the snowiest February since 1996, though by the coast the snow never lay for long. The winter was comparable in snowiness to 2003/04 overall, and was beaten only by 1993/94 and 1995/96 in the last 16 years.

So notable in the context of recent years.

Note John's reference to the RMetS publication using data from the Met Office. The winter was generally more notable in the south (especially south-west) than in the north- though Aberdeen had 13 days of lying snow in February, a total equalled only in 2001 in the last 16 years.

Temps were very close to winter 2000/01 but that winter had greater snowfall than 2008/09 in this part of the NE. Feb 2001 had higher days of snowfall and greater fresh fall depth, if not as many days snow lying.

Max depth of snow comparable with as recent as 2005/6. Cold of early Feb was probably the most note worthy feature, nearly a week below freezing.

I agree the winter being more notable for the South esp SW. Only during a couple of hours on the Feb 2nd would I thought the wintry weather was severe but nothing that bad.

Perhaps spring being mild, dry and sunny in this area have made the winter appear shorter than comparable 'winters'.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted

A good winter I think, with something (although a real mild lenghty period didnt happen (from memory).

Snow was certainly more frequent here than over the last 5 years since we've lived around these parts.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a more sustained cold period with snow, but IMHO, thats more about my location than anything else.

If I lived where my parents do (Northants), then I think I would have been happier.

But, all in all, a rather tantilizing winter period :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Quite a cold winter here overall with some very good overnight low minimum temps, but very disappointing snow wise , i know the winter will be looked back on with some fondness and will be regarded asa real winter when the snows returned , but here in NW England it was pretty average :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Complete lack of storms was the notable thing and actually some proper Snow in feb. Otherwise a completely uneventful winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Temps were very close to winter 2000/01 but that winter had greater snowfall than 2008/09 in this part of the NE. Feb 2001 had higher days of snowfall and greater fresh fall depth, if not as many days snow lying.

Max depth of snow comparable with as recent as 2005/6. Cold of early Feb was probably the most note worthy feature, nearly a week below freezing.

I agree the winter being more notable for the South esp SW. Only during a couple of hours on the Feb 2nd would I thought the wintry weather was severe but nothing that bad.

Perhaps spring being mild, dry and sunny in this area have made the winter appear shorter than comparable 'winters'.

One interesting point, particularly emphasised by that last sentence: the stats look very different when comparing the "snow season" (October-April) as a whole, as opposed to Dec/Jan/Feb. By the latter measure Cleadon, with just 10 days of lying snow (9 in the winter quarter, 1 in November) has had an unremarkable winter which was beaten snow-wise in 1993/94, 1995/96 and 2000/01, and approximately equalled in 1996/97, 1998/99, 2003/04 and 2005/06. March 2001 was particularly snowy here which raised the 2000/01 season's total well above 2008/09.

Posted

I think it has been a fantastic winter. I have had ice days with heavy rime and thickfog around the start of 2009. I recorded -7.4C which, in a very urbanised environment and seeing as the station is located on the side of the house, was very special.

An inch of snow on 5th january was refreshing after the rimey conditions previously, and the snow barely melted throughout the day.

Then the start of feb was crazy, lots of snow overnight and through the day monday and a heavier and prolonged snow monday evening topped the levels up very nicely. This was topped up frequently for the next 8 ish days.

Overall a fantastic and varied winter. None of this snow that just about settles then melts as soon as it has landed.

Posted
The winter was generally more notable in the south (especially south-west) than in the north- though Aberdeen had 13 days of lying snow in February, a total equalled only in 2001 in the last 16 years.

We recorded 16 days of lying snow here in Northampton - staggering that we beat Aberdeen even, although as you say, it was more notable in the south.

I enjoyed the winter. Far better than any recent winter I can remember. Probably have to go back to the late 80s/early 90s to better it here. Of course, all of the snowfall was concentrated around that early Feb spell, but that was OK; it was an exciting few weeks and I would rather that to shorter less potent cold spells in each month that deliver scattered transient snowfall here and there with perhaps the odd major snow event. This was different; certainly noteworthy for these parts.

So above average snowfall definitely, but in terms of temperature I wouldn't say it was exceptional apart from that early January spell which was fairly cold. January was still hugely disappointing in that it was snowless just like most Januarys have been this side of the millenium.

December was at least fairly varied with a cold start, mild in the middle, and then a very cold finish.

All in all, a better than average winter for snow, but only average in terms of cold thanks in part to a very mild end to the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Enjoyable winter. The mild periods were never particularly mild, the cold ones not particularly notable either but the overall impression was that of a colder winter (based on the very scientific method of "Do I need a jumper/scarf today" which scored highly all throughout the season). It was pretty good just a bit further up the road, in the Peak District, with some cracking dumps of snow and some wonderfully chilly nights with hard frost (I know, I was walking there at night...The "Frozen mud" indicator also scored highly this year).

Posted

Cold! Though I think that may have something to do with the change in location from Helensburgh to Edinburgh, I know the east cost is colder than the west but jeeez! Last year I never wore a jacket out at all, I was fine in just a hoodie but man this year, a hoodie a jacket and scarf and it was still cold. The snow was welcome as well; snow lying on the city center of Edinburgh was a nice sight and an excuse not to go to classes! Not to mention two am snow fights were amazing.

I enjoyed it though!

Posted

For kent it was crap..... piddly wet snow......

missed out numerous times on big dumpings and most we had was two inches....... melted before midday too.....

bring on next winter i say..........

ps we did well in 2005 so not much to compare with down here since then......

will in kent

Posted

If I knew how to change my Hampshire no snow triangle location I would.This was the best winter in the 19 years ive lived here,it appeared business as usual when we missed the snow in Oct Nov and Dec.however,December was cold with a good number of frosts,additionally,a very early frost to start in mid october.

In Jan it was cold again in parts but with frost and little or no snow,February was snowy with 8 days of lying snow not seen here as i say in 19 years,

The rather odd thing is that we are frost prone here but will be near to normal frost numbers wise not even reaching 70 this largely due to few frosts in march and none to date in april,so was it the influence of a Hale winter or just right place right time for once,thats what makes it so interesting.

Posted

I think the winter just gone,has been the most intresting for many years imo.

It actually felt like a winter,the early feb event is something ive been praying for,for many years,very intresting period of weather

and the facts are there coldest since 1995.96

Posted

Quite pleased to see this thread spring up at this time of year, rather than the other one which ironically started on one of the wintriest days of the year (I think it was something like the 3rd Feb - which was ridicuously early). I was always going to reserve judgement on the winter season (as a whole) around about now, as March and the first half of April can deliver anything as snowy as the rest of the winter in my book.. anyhow.. taking into the consideration the winter season as a whole (mid nov - mid April), I have to say although notable by recent standards, it was hardly extreme and snowwise I will have to say for the Lake District just fairly average.

Most notable period of weather for me was what happened during the last couple of days of November and first 10 days of December. This is usually a period notorious for delivering mild south westerlies and lots of rain, however, this year it was very snowy in the Lake District with nights consistently below 0 degrees meaning frost lingered for much of the period making for treacherously icy conditions. Early Jan was cold but it never got below -7 degrees, so nothing exceptional.

The early feb snowy spell was a damp squib for this part of the country we saw just 2 inches on the 1st which actually thawed overnight on the 1/2nd, we then saw just a few snow showers and no real sharp frosts.

Period mid feb- early March which in many recent years i.e. 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 has delivered the coldest and snowiest weather of the whole winter , this year was almost devoid of any wintriness, consequently although the season started off very early it also finished very very early..

I'm hoping next winter will deliver some more potent snowfalls and colder temps with more ice days, much of this seasons cold was 'homegrown' stuff and we never managed to tap into any real cold uppers deep withing the continent or arctic.

Posted

Well it was certainly notable in comparison with recent winters. Since moving to Reading from the heart of the 'snowless Hampshire triangle' (Southampton city centre) in 2002 we have had:

- The coldest winter overall since at least 2001/2 (probably since 1995/6)

- Our first ice day since at least 2001/2 (OK - measured to 6pm; if you count from 9am-9am we haven't had one yet, however, since it warmed up overnight)

- The lowest overnight temperature since 2003 at -6.0 (the coldest was -6.4 in January 2003)

- Our heaviest snowfall, probably since 1991 (total for the winter around 15cm and snow lay for 5 consecutive days in February).

The most notable wintry periods were the cold but completely dry spell of late December/early January and the unusually snowy first half of February.

By the standards of recent years, an unusually cold and snowy winter, but no doubt less exceptional by long-term standards.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

For here it was the coldest since 2000/1. There were 62 days with an air frost with 16 each in December and January, 12 in February and 10 in November plus 2 in October. There was only one ice day and that was the 30th November though there were a few other pretty close including one in January with a max of 0.0C. The Winter ended mildly though, like elsewhere in the UK.

There were 12 snow lying days at 0900hrs which is top equal with another three years in the noughties. [About half the 12 days had 2cms or under though.] Snow fell on 13 days. Deepest was the 14cms on the 12th February which was the most since 12th March 2006.

One further day had snow lying after 9AM and sleet or hail fell on a further 11 days.

All in all much more wintry than the previous two years and a much colder start with the November frosts and snow.

My mother also keeps records for her home in the Upper Tay valley near Aberfeldy in Highland Perthshire though he temperature recordings are suspect.

There they had 37 snow lying days at 0900 with another 7 with snow lying later in the day. Snow fell on 32 days [she may have missed some as she is now elderly though] and sleet or hail on another 7 days.

The 37 days would have been just below average in the eighties but is above the 30 average of the nineties and well above the 20 average of this century so far.

Posted
For here it was the coldest since 2000/1. There were 62 days with an air frost with 16 each in December and January, 12 in February and 10 in November plus 2 in October. There was only one ice day and that was the 30th November though there were a few other pretty close including one in January with a max of 0.0C. The Winter ended mildly though, like elsewhere in the UK.

There were 12 snow lying days at 0900hrs which is top equal with another three years in the noughties. [About half the 12 days had 2cms or under though.] Snow fell on 13 days. Deepest was the 14cms on the 12th February which was the most since 12th March 2006.

One further day had snow lying after 9AM and sleet or hail fell on a further 11 days.

All in all much more wintry than the previous two years and a much colder start with the November frosts and snow.

My mother also keeps records for her home in the Upper Tay valley near Aberfeldy in Highland Perthshire though he temperature recordings are suspect.

There they had 37 snow lying days at 0900 with another 7 with snow lying later in the day. Snow fell on 32 days [she may have missed some as she is now elderly though] and sleet or hail on another 7 days.

The 37 days would have been just below average in the eighties but is above the 30 average of the nineties and well above the 20 average of this century so far.

Interesting statistic relating to the date of your only ice day i.e. 30th Nov, very early in the season, I think we only managed to just get above freezing that day, certainly remember the thick hoar frost lingering in most places all day and the bitter feel of that day, it felt very christmassy, shame we never saw many more such 'feeling' days, I thinkit was courtesy of the very cold upper temps brought down from the arctic.