Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm/Convective Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

According to the BBC North West forecast, looks like the CF won't arrive until 3-4am tomorrow morning. They did however say that the front would pep up as it moved east, which is contradicting what the national forecast said. I'm confused.

Posted

The air is much dryer less humid today,when the altocumulus dispersed earlier and there was some virga about after to the west.

A few fair weather Cu

A thin veil of cirrostratus coming in now.

I was hoping to see a nice mid-level storm tonight 2 years since the last one.

It could still happen yet, but looking outside now is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Posted
Just looked on the Net Weather charts... Chances of storms anywhere in the UK from tonight till at least Monday is pretty much 0. Check out the CAPE and Lifted index all the way from tonight till Monday... Hardly a sniff of storm potential anywhere.

As has been stated by others already the models have not been very clever today so I'd not rule anything out or in. Its a case of radar watching, as it generally always is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

BBC rainfall graphics on there website show some blue blobs around the Welsh borders this evening and then some green blobs in the SE and E Anglia. Seems they are picking up on something.

AJ, had I not been at work I probably would have been around your area every day this week. :o

The fact you had 4 storms kind of shows that the weather forecasts weren't wrong and didn't handle the situation badly this week as some have said. The forecast was for isolated thunderstorms and that is what happened. Its just unfortunate that mother nature couldn't distribute more fairly - i am still yet to see a sniff of a storm this week. But whereas I was dry there are places that got absolutely battered.

Todays situation has been handled poorly though, but then its a complicated scenario.

Posted
Looks like SE may get storms after all later this evening or overnight good luck :o

yes Francias on Sky saying the same thing...what happened to the West :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
People dont know what really being unlucky is!...All this talk of storms, and I've only had 4 this week! :o

4 more than me Bud...believe it or not you've been one of the lucky ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Would be funny if all storm lovers in the Midlands went to bed feeling down because of little chance of storms then in the middle of the night there's an almighty BANG! and it's a thunderstorm right over your head :o Would love a surprise like that!

Yep :o

Posted
Would be funny if all storm lovers in the Midlands went to bed feeling down because of little chance of storms then in the middle of the night there's an almighty BANG! and it's a thunderstorm right over your head :o Would love a surprise like that!

That happened to me last July. Forecast for nothing and I was awoke at about 3am by an almighty crash and then watched CG's pelting down on the hill behind me for about half hour.

I remember it many times in my childhood. Lets hope it happens tonight... although if i chase I won't actually be in bed to be awoken :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Would be great but we know what would really happen... :o

Posted

what is wrong with that front its hardly moved East all day......probaly be there tomorrow

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Would be great but we know what would really happen... :o

Sleep through it and then awake to hear that a massive storm passed through overnight with frequent CG's, golf ball hail and a tornado! :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

A decent circular blob looks to be getting its act together as it approaches south Kent from the channel (according to sat24) and looks to have my name on it. Lots of haze here so can't make out any cloud definition but being only 6 miles from the coast I will keep my ears pinned back for my first rumblings of the summer.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

The storm that was coming towards the south east looks to have decayed too much on the latest radar update

Posted

Still good cells building over Scotland just north of my location now. Suspect the Highlands/Grampian mountains are aiding the storms/build up.

The action is up here guys and gals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
4 more than me Bud...believe it or not you've been one of the lucky ones.

I think you missed the undertone of sarcasm in my post!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Sleep through it and then awake to hear that a massive storm passed through overnight with frequent CG's, golf ball hail and a tornado! :o

Haha your avatar is a screenshot of that lightning strike in that video on Youtube isn't it :D Beady eyes Andy never misses a trick :o

Posted

Is anything actally gunna happen with this cold front cause its doing nothing.

Posted
what is wrong with that front its hardly moved East all day......probaly be there tomorrow

The bbc forcast still thinks its going to move over to the east early hours of morning it needs to get a move on if thats to happen :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
BBC rainfall graphics on there website show some blue blobs around the Welsh borders this evening and then some green blobs in the SE and E Anglia. Seems they are picking up on something.

AJ, had I not been at work I probably would have been around your area every day this week. :o

The fact you had 4 storms kind of shows that the weather forecasts weren't wrong and didn't handle the situation badly this week as some have said. The forecast was for isolated thunderstorms and that is what happened. Its just unfortunate that mother nature couldn't distribute more fairly - i am still yet to see a sniff of a storm this week. But whereas I was dry there are places that got absolutely battered.

Todays situation has been handled poorly though, but then its a complicated scenario.

Good Post!.....hoever Nick Finnis's convective forecast is bang on in my eyes.....for those who have NW Extra, you'll be able to see the risk factors that Nick was mentioning for the midlands/CS England.....to elaborate, moist air is being advected northwards ahead of the CF...Surface CAPE is now developing in these areas combined with moderate lift, a CZ has set up from roughly IOW stretching NWwards into the west midlands, thus the risk is there, for isolated storms to break out ahead of the slowly advancing CF, so for the evening, it wouldnt surprise me to see an isolated storm/heavy shower to pop up along, or near this CZ...Remember, just a humble opinion :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

As for what GFS charts might show from now on...after several days of seeing charts showing 1500j + of CAPE and LI of -5 and -6 over a large part of the UK...and naff all come of it except for the lucky few...next time I see such charts..one word will enter my head then emerge from my mouth........BALLS.

Posted

East Kent always ends up under a thundery trough with storms moving Northwards, I've seen that countless times the past few years, East Kent is lightning alley. :o

Completely sunny here, no sign of the storms to my SE yet. :o

Posted
Is anything actally gunna happen with this cold front cause its doing nothing.

Probably come up against extremely hot temps and thought "wtf?" so decided to stall. :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Not on the latest update it doesn't. :)

There was some convective activity going on here to the west and north (and possibly to the south, but I'm sat down at the moment and not all that inspired to get up and have a look), but it seems to have disappeared now.