Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Fair enough, but Verwood is only just over the border into Dorset, surely news from Hampshire is going to be far more relevant to you than from Cornwall as it's your "local" news (as is news from Bournemouth, which actually used to be in Hampshire!), would be the same as me, lumped into the south east by the Met Office, thinking that London news would be of interest.

BBC South seem to cover Dorset very well (from what I have seen) but yes Berkshire news isn't really of interest to me either to be honest!

Indeed it is (1 mile from Hampshire) - but consider that Dorchester is also in BBC South (in fact, it only changes to Spotlight around Bridport) - what do they want to know from people from Brighton? It's all to do with transmitters really (for analogue), which is why King's Lynn (Norfolk) can receive Look North (from Hull) from the transmitter in central Lincolnshire. But that's a different story. BBC South have got better recently with Dorset, I used to watch many a broadcast where they'd not even acknowledge the place existed! It used to be Southampton, Portsmouth, Southampton, Reading, Brighton and Hove. But never mind! :rolleyes: To be honest, we do seem to be a forgotten county at times!

As for Bournemouth - we don't recognise the 1974 change of border!

:unsure:

Posted

We need to watch whats coming down thats North west of here cause from the looks of it, its heading this way. But telling what it is? Well that will be difficult.

well i think what i will get will be heading your way, not dure what the coast will do to it between here and you but hey i will go and look should be here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

We need to watch whats coming down thats North west of here cause from the looks of it, its heading this way. But telling what it is? Well that will be difficult.

its really fairly heavy what ever if is and if its snow then perhapes a few cm from it.

but i dont think it is its 3.6c here.

the snow is melting slowly but still a couple of cm in my back garden and front but becoming patchy.

makes me sad we only have it for a couple of days.

but have you seen the showers in scotland looks like there going to get some major depths.

Posted

well i think what i will get will be heading your way, not dure what the coast will do to it between here and you but hey i will go and look should be here now.

Its sometimes annoying that Petersfield that is about 10 miles north of Portsmouth and over the southdowns gets snow, when everywhere south of the downs gets nothing but rain. That is what normally happens when we get a band of snow coming from the north. Apart from 2004, When I remember it raining for the first hour then it snowed like crazy for about an hour and we also had thundersnow which was my first every experience!

Lets us know what happens where you are! :cray:

Posted

On the radar here: http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looks like something's bubbling up just east of Yeovil and heading towards the New Forest/Southampton as far as I can tell. No doubt the NW Extra Radar would give better detail, but I thought you kittens might like that! :cray:

Posted

Looks like something's bubbling up just east of Yeovil and heading towards the New Forest/Southampton as far as I can tell. No doubt the NW Extra Radar would give better detail, but I thought you kittens might like that! :cray:

Also then main area directly north around west London is looking good and is gaining! Problem is my temperature is climbing fast now at 3c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Looks like something's bubbling up just east of Yeovil and heading towards the New Forest/Southampton as far as I can tell. No doubt the NW Extra Radar would give better detail, but I thought you kittens might like that! :hi:

intresting its showing snow but right here its freezing rain for now i wonder if the heavy band will bring a suprise.:drinks:

Posted

not much use to you all really

in the 5mins i was outside we have had Rain, Sleet, Freezing rain and bits of snow. LOL

quiet heavy but not really make any contribution to what is lying around.

Posted

Saw from radar was over Basingstoke so tantalisingly close. So went and did my teeth etc and then back for another radar and lamp post check. Just opened window and it's chucking it down with sleety but mostly rain. Shouldn't be at 2c and 0.4c dewpoint. But what the hell. Go to bed guys it's a wasted stay up :whistling::aggressive:And it's melting what snow is left from before! :wallbash:

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*

Posted

Just to give you all some hope - I didn't see any snow until the first band of precipitation cleared then it was way colder in behind that with some snow which started to lie quite quickly. Don't give up just yet!

Fiona

Posted

couldn't help noticing there is freezing rain around Southampton and Portsmouth.

that's very rare. what's it like?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

yeah rainin here but sounds icy if that makes any sence ?? lol louder than usuall but not as wet

on the raintoday radar it shows a gap between the freezin rain and the snow, hopefully that will drop temps a bit just before the snow rolls over :whistling: fingers crossed

Edited by coxxy22

Posted

Indeed its landing on surfaces and instantly freezing. Rather strange I must admit as its only 3.6c

Turning more sleety wet snow! temperature dropping

Posted

here's a screen cap

freezingrain20dec09.jpg

freezing rain storms often occur in the US and Canada. very dangerous, can bring down power lines and their steel supports.

Edited by AtlanticFlamethrower

Posted

no one got any snow from the west in our region then?

surprised there isn`t a bit more activity in here, somerset is seeing some nice line of showers coming from the Bristol channel.