Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Hi Stormforce Beka - I'm up the Alresford Road - between Town Centre and Golden Lion. Only 150 feet or so above central Winchester, but that often makes all the difference when fog or snowfall are concerned.

Posted

Just started to snow here again very lightly at the moment.

Posted

Stormforce Beka: "Oooh your in one of those posh houses?"

Yes: a very posh two-up two-down terrace!

-3.9 this morning. Snow not going anywhere, and judging by the forecast, I'll be struggling up the hill during a further snowfall around midnight tonight.

Posted

They're predicting sleet followed by drizzle here in Reading, with the temperature falling to -2 this evening then climbing during the night. Metcheck, on the other hand, forecasts light snow and the temperature plummeting to -6 in the early hours <_<

Posted

Right on the boundary between the South East and Central Southern England!

Judging by what's going on in the South East thread, it will snow for pretty much all of us. It will just likely begin as rain or sleet to the far west of our region and along the coast, but change back to snow as cold air undercuts along the front coming down. For those in the east of central southern England it should hopefully be almost all snow!

Whatever falls will freeze very quickly once the front's gone through.

Posted

They're predicting sleet followed by drizzle here in Reading, with the temperature falling to -2 this evening then climbing during the night. Metcheck, on the other hand, forecasts light snow and the temperature plummeting to -6 in the early hours :lol:

I am confident if we see any precipitation in the central area then it will be snow, problem is i think this front will breakdown to a few showers before it gets here. I may be wrong but just can`t see it intensifying.

Only place it may be sleet/rain is the coast and maybe 10 miles in land

good luck

Edited by Stoxs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Temp here 2.1 and rising - as is the Dewpoint which has been rising all afternoon and evening standing at -1c.

It's going to be rain here by the looks of things. Shame, because it was probably Bournemouth's only shot at snow before this cold spell ends with Monday's milder air and rain.

Edited by Jim_AFCB

Posted

Evening all :rofl:

Snow still on the ground here, but the temperature is being rather strange. It was -1.2c at 5pm, then 0.6c at 6pm, then -0.9c at 7pm and now 1.7c! What is going on!

Not expecting snow at all tonight here, but I am confused that the GFS charts are predicting the cold air to still be with us?

Anyone shine any light on my confusions? :rofl:

Posted

there was still a small amount on the ground here around an hour ago but just been out for a fag and its all melting so assumin the temps are rising here

was hopeing that we will be far enough east to catch a small flurry but not sure we will now :nonono:

Posted

Ahh mines still stuck and showing no sign of melting. Just come back from Portsmouth on the train and there does seem to be more snow in my area than central Porstmouth, but the walk back from the train station was fun, sliding around! No sign of any melting though, well not yet haha! :aggressive:

Edited by snowmania

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW

Looking at the radar snow heading south from Bham, we have low temp in Reading with snow still lying from yesterday, we might get lucky and get another 1-2 cm of fresh stuff?

Posted

You might, but from what people have been saying the air is warming up before the main band, then a huge drop in temperature once the band arrives. It also seems to be breaking up fast than predicted so if contiues to break up, I might see nothing but drizzle haha!

Good luck up there though :help:

Posted

Looking at the radar snow heading south from Bham, we have low temp in Reading with snow still lying from yesterday, we might get lucky and get another 1-2 cm of fresh stuff?

No not expecting anything here tonight now - the band coming down is weakening and I don't think there will be anything left of it once it does. Reports from people who are under the ppn as per the radar are also reporting nothing much coming out of it. Can't complain though we had plenty over night Thursday and it's still lying on the ground. Could do with warming up though so I can actually get my car out of the street!

Posted

No not expecting anything here tonight now - the band coming down is weakening and I don't think there will be anything left of it once it does. Reports from people who are under the ppn as per the radar are also reporting nothing much coming out of it. Can't complain though we had plenty over night Thursday and it's still lying on the ground. Could do with warming up though so I can actually get my car out of the street!

Looking at the radar reading is in line with what is coming out of central wales, there seams a nw flow to the band of PPN.

there will be showers around i will be surprised if there is any great accumilations out of tonights band.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW

Hit or miss, next couple of hours will be worth watching the radar, the band of showers streching from north of Oxford right into Wales look intresting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind

The South Central forum is really funny... No one in here.... Is it because everybody who is actually in the Central South is wanting to be in the South East?

lol

Dave - Bournemouth!

Edited by Theresnoway

Posted

Haha that is so true!

I think its better just to have south east and west, cause the south is just a small place inbetween in everyones mind haha!:p

Posted

Yea. We don't trust owt will happen. The guys who did best out of us was Portsmouth.

We did do rather well, I my self only expected a slight dusting but to awake with heavy snow and a good covering well :yahoo:

I think what we need is a huge band of snow to move in from the east and effect the whole of the england. Snow normally from the North always falls as rain down on the coast. Something to do with the solent wind as its been called :yahoo: