Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 2

Posted

In Sawbridgworth, East Herts, it's snowing a little heavier now, a light dusting in fact. This snow is a lot heavier than I expected and would be enough to cause some issue on roads. Interesting.

Posted

The front looks like its strengthening on the radar, its filled out very nicely in the last 30-60 mins or so. This is going to give more snowfall risk to south E.Anglia and also Kent as well probably the London region. Dew points still favour snow quite readily and indeed even the temps are still cold, generally between -1 and 1C.

Therefore odds of it settling are probably a little higher then expected by the models which could well allow some feedback if the front keeps on developing like it is. Saying that I'd stil lexpect for it to turn to sleet and rain.

Indeed look at the radar, you can see the way the snow is being eroded somewhat as it pushes into the colder air lined up SW-NE.

Could well be a fairly wet day for the western portion of the region once the snow is gone.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Think there may be just a tad more to come fairly soon after though Nick!biggrin.gif

Yep, just a teaser perhaps later today of what's to come late Thurs and Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Mike Im down the other end in Barnehurst- its snowing here- well granular snow- awaiting the first 'proper' flakes-

Perhaps you cant see it- get your face closer to the window-

11:00 net weather radar shows PPN beefing up to the north of London- heavier bursts of PPN about 30 mins away-

Steve

Yes Steve, I see it now! Im not at home at mo nr to crayford.... got to fit an aerial in a while... not looing foward to getting on a roof let me tell you!

Posted

Probably because of the PPN intensity & the fact your right on the border of snow & rain I guess your something like 0.5/1C temp 0/0.5 DP

S

Yes Archie, my son's school weather station (Aldenham) shows -0.6c, dewpoint -1.3.

Just the right side of marginal!

Moderate snow falling here at the top of Barnet hill too! Starting to settle.....

smich

Posted

Snowing lightly and it's bitterly cold. Currently -0.9c! with frost coating everything. Low last night was -5.2c. The lowest minimum since January 2009 and 3rd lowest in my series going back to December 2003 (after January 2009 -8.4c and November 2005 at -6.4c)

Posted

Small grain showers in the city at the moment

This is the ONE screen grab for today on the NW radar for 11:05- its a developing situation ....

Time to invest in the net weather radar-

post-1235-12609623704366_thumb.png

thats moving SSE- & developing being the key word-

WOW cracking 11:10 radar update-

South west ESSEX- all heading into SE london / NW kent-

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Snowing in White City, west London now. Here we go guys!yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Feels a bit too warm in Norwich, so unless we get a decent shower it looks like drizzle for us. Not even snizzle!

Still could all change and theres always thursday/friday. I am just a bit nervous after last years no snow show.

Posted

Getting heavier in the city, and report from Hammersmith for snow too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

At UEA Norwich there has been some fine, wet sleety snow- it looks and feels like rain, but grassy surfaces are coated in snowflakes (and no, I'm not confusing it with the frost we had this morning- the whitening of the grass has definitely spread substantially since the precipitation began).

Posted

This cloud cover has really stopping temps from rising, still only a little above freezing and dew points are still very decent, local stations nearby me stil showing dew points of -2C. I expect that will continue to rise quite decently over the next few hours but it wouldn't need for it to be much colder for a big chunk of the front to more snowy then the models are expecting. They show a top dew point of 2C in my location and if the temps are a little lower then expected then its quite possible the change over to rain may not be quite as quick.

Posted

Just had a 10min snow shower here. Big fat flakes, proper snow. Sprinkling on the grass and cars but melted on paths and roads. Very exciting stuff. :good:

Temp 1.3c

Posted

At UEA Norwich there has been some fine, wet sleety snow- it looks and feels like rain, but grassy surfaces are coated in snowflakes (and no, I'm not confusing it with the frost we had this morning- the whitening of the grass has definitely spread substantially since the precipitation began).

I am in Thorpe on the eastern outskirts of the city and so far it's no snow.