Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 2

Posted

Those who expect a repeat of Feb should watch this BBC forecast from countryfile (1st Feb) and then watch the N24 forecast in 10 mins.

The Meto / BBC where very confident of widespread heavy snow coming from a trough spreading well inland and boosted by convection (not reliant on). It was never forecast as "Showers". This went out on BBC on the Sun morning and correctly predicted heavy widespread snow starting 24hrs later. It also correctly predicted the other heavy widespread snow events that occoured during the week. There was also warnings out 3 days in advance for accumulations up to 30cm they are giving 5-10cm for this event. I may be proven wrong (and hope I am) but I doubt I'll watch a forecast like that tommorow morning will I?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

At the end of the last thread, blake7 seemed to be reporting red snow - "a few rouge flakes" <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Those who expect a repeat of Feb should watch this BBC forecast from countryfile (1st Feb) and then watch the N24 forecast in 10 mins.

The Meto / BBC where very confident of widespread heavy snow coming from a trough spreading well inland and boosted by convection (not reliant on). It was never forecast as "Showers". This went out on BBC on the Sun morning and correctly predicted heavy widespread snow starting 24hrs later. It also correctly predicted the other heavy widespread snow events that occoured during the week. There was also warnings out 3 days in advance for accumulations up to 30cm they are giving 5-10cm for this event. I may be proven wrong (and hope I am) but I doubt I'll watch a forecast like that tommorow morning will I?

We're not within 24 hours of the event yet though, as others have said, I suspect they'll start forecasting heavy snow come tomorrow.

Posted

Sorry to sound hostile, but we're not saying it's going to be like February. Anyway, we had less then than you lot did. <_<

Posted

Sorry to sound hostile, but we're not saying it's going to be like February. Anyway, we had less then than you lot did. :lol:

I honestly respect TEITS and his expertise but he was suggesting it may be more severe than feb and many others agreed. My post is a way of us keeping things into perspective.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

To be honest though we have a number of snow events with the possibility og upto 10cm which could combine to give similar totals. Only time will tell though, but is the convection really gets going there WILL be some big totals!

Posted

Are the charts wrong? Is that really rain for Wednesday afternoon in the SE? In the morning dewpoints are -3 but then +2 in the afternoon.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Charlwood (near Gatwick) already down to -3.4 °C at 2100hrs, I wonder how low we will go in the SE corner under clear skies.

Looks like the rain spreading south tomorrow morning across the Midlands and E England will turn to sleet and snow for a time as it encounters the cold air across the SE, then slowly turning back to rain as we lose the colder air for a time. But the cold air returns from the NE tomorrow night, with showers turning up across the east turning increasingly to sleet and snow into Thursday, as colder air feeds in from the east.

Posted

That clip makes me go all funny, I still can't quite believe it happened! lol!

Posted

Fair point - Julie has been underplaying the snow potential most of the day.

And that goes back to TEITS point on the previous thread

+ Alex Deakins forecast has changed, very similar to 6:30pm!

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Looks like the rain spreading south tomorrow morning across the Midlands and E England will turn to sleet and snow for a time as it encounters the cold air across the SE, then slowly turning back to rain as we lose the colder air for a time. But the cold air returns from the NE tomorrow night, with showers turning up across the east turning increasingly to sleet and snow into Thursday, as colder air feeds in from the east.

Yes, that's my deeply amateurish reading of it too. :lol:

Posted

We got virtually no snow at all in Feb down here in Shoeburyness. It turned to sleet very quickly and melted anything that had fallen, so while everyone else was knee-deep in the stuff we didn't even have a covering. :lol:

Hoping that things are coming together a little better for this to produce some more meaningful snow for us on Thurs night/Fri, and perhaps into the weekend. As with TEITS, I have always looked to East winds to give us the best snow here. New Year 1978 was a classic for that and will take some beating, with huge snowdrifts and no council workmen to clear them as they were on strike. Although I do remember the awesome winter of 1963 as a youngster, when we even had the sea freezing off Southend seafront. Wonder if we will ever see that again...?

Posted

And that goes back to TEITS point on the previous thread

Sorry mate, which point do you mean? He made several LOL.

Posted

The 2127 & 2157 hrs forecast on BBC24 started to show the snow move further inland unlike the two previous forecasts :lol:

MetO have just sent in a 'Severe Weather Warning' to the Highways division in the Croydon Borough. Griiting is being carried out as I type.

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Lol Peter the Sea @ Leigh On Sea froze in January 1987 so the answer to your question is yes and we have already!

One of the bad things about having the North Sea just a few Miles to your east is the misty low cloud and that is what we have here at present, the temp is still 1c and cloud cover :lol:

Paul S

Posted

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uzeZJUsT0UU

Frost set in around 5pm and has now melted which it wasn't forecst to do. May make things a bit more marginal for tommorow is temps are 2/3c higher than forecast!

Posted

The 2127 & 2157 hrs forecast on BBC24 started to show the snow move further inland unlike the two previous forecasts :D

If it was Deakin that read that forecast he won't have liked it I bet! :lol: I appreciate that a lot of people do worry about cold winter weather (I should, given that I'm a wheelchair user), but I do grind my teeth when, in the midst of midwinter mucky zonality, he or Jay Wynne or Darren Bett says "it'll be nice and mild". :D

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

FEB 2009 was Utterly awful for here , it just grazed the northern counties and went straight down the thames!. We really DO NOT want that to happen , it would be far better if it streamed INTO the south east so many more people will have a good time. I'm not being biased here , but the 2009 event was very very localised :lol:

Posted

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uzeZJUsT0UU

OK, you posted this only a few minutes ago. Anyone would think you kept saying this to be annoying. :lol: I get your point, but you sound awfully like a mild ramper.

Posted

FEB 2009 was Utterly awful for here , it just grazed the northern counties and went straight down the thames!. We really DO NOT want that to happen , it would be far better if it streamed INTO the south east so many more people will have a good time. I'm not being biased here , but the 2009 event was very very localised :lol:

here here! :D

For Steve M:

-2.9C, dewpoint at -3.9C

Edited by maidstone weather