Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 2

Posted

I see my posts earlier made a difference with regards to the BBC graphics. :drinks:

Let me put this simply.

During Thursday the showers in E Anglia will become more frequent and heavier during the day, especially late evening. Now these showers might actually start as rain/sleet especially near the coasts but turn to snow as the colder air moves SW. The peak period for E Anglia is between Thurs 6pm - Friday 6am.

For the SE the risk of snow will be a little later than EA but will arrive. At the moment I would say the risk for SE England is around 12.00am Friday to 12.00pm Friday

Is it me or is neilsouth and ocean transit in some kind of groundhog day situation. They just seem to be going on about the BBC graphics on every page of this thread. lol

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Jeeez guys! You are racing ahead on the regional cold spell post count :yahoo:

6 pages into the 2nd thread already and us poor Midlanders are still very much on the 1st one haha.

But as ever, we'll see...

We're all secret Rampers, and hoping for a good spell of cold weather :drinks:

Good luck for Leicester, you should get a reasonable dump on Thursday as the Easterly picks up, will drop off for you on Friday though

Posted

Is it me or is neilsouth and ocean transit in some kind of groundhog day situation. They just seem to be going on about the BBC graphics on every page of this thread. lol

Can't we just set up a separate thread for bbc graphics snow blob obsessives! :drinks:

Posted

lol biggrin.gif

I was just explaining why there was a sudden turn around on the tv forecasts. It's nothing to do with the graphics, it's the data that is fed into them.

As far as I can see from the fax charts and what I'm seeing/hearing from Exeter, nothing has changed. Just a dodgy run of the model which was shown on television.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

A whole swathe of Snow on the Northern flank of the trough can just disapear......

THe focus will be for the heaviest snow to be for Lins + EA- but as the trough pulls away the Se in particualr suffolk & kent will get in on the act its impossible to avoid an Easterly flow at some point.....

S

Yes, I don't see how the easterly somehow skips over SE counties and rejoins over the channel as it moves away. Unless this is a new Abingdon trick?laugh.gif

It's not a case of 'stamping feet' over BBC graphics - but a case of the logical sequence of the easterly. Unless the latest UKmO data suggests that there has been a sudden change of wind direction in the easterly that doesn't favour the SE corner for onshore convectional snow showers? Stranger things have happened but it seems pretty unlikely to me

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Shush you lot , let the men have their whinging time ! :lol:

Well night , good luck tomorrow err thursday :lol:

Posted

I find Sky's graphics just as confusing, all blobby with bits in. :lol:

The BBC are just as bad, bring back the days with symbols, esp the ones that fell off a lot.

I should probably take this to whining corner.

Never the less, if those mad temps on the 12 and 18 come off, the young people here just won't know what's hit them, they may even have an idea why older people are big into Hats, gloves etc, when my kids sit around in T-shirts all winter.

Time will tell, interesting to see what will really happen. The post mortem will be interesting anyway. :lol:

I find Sky's graphics just as confusing, all blobby with bits in. wallbash.gif

The BBC are just as bad, bring back the days with symbols, esp the ones that fell off a lot.

I should probably take this to whining corner.

Never the less, if those mad temps on the 12 and 18 come off, the young people here just won't know what's hit them, they may even have an idea why older people are big into Hats, gloves etc, when my kids sit around in T-shirts all winter.

Time will tell, interesting to see what will really happen. The post mortem will be interesting anyway. whistling.gif

It's funny actually - the BBC 10.30 forecast tonight was the first one I have watched for a week or more! I had wanted to see the snow blobs for Friday that everyone was going on about, so rather than switch channels immediately after the news like I usually do, I stayed on to watch and enjoy the white dots - and lo and behold they were gone!laugh.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

The key for the SE and possible reason the beeb aren't as favourable is simply because the fetch isn't travelling over much water and therefore isn't going to pick up the same amount of instablity as it would for EA in general.

Anyway my part of the world still above freezing, seems like the thames valley has a similar trend which doesn't bode well at all for tomorrow. Temps a little to the north already decently below freezing. I suspect th problem is the isloated westerlies that seem to going across the thames valley and thats allowing more cloud to drift towards my location in Essex.

The good news though is the dew points look decent for snow...so as per normal in marginal situations I do expect snow tomorrow, but that it won't settle as the time of day is a littole unfavourable for it!

Still...the goodies on offer in the next 120hrs really are quite frankly stunning....

At last in the internet era...a real OLD SCHOOL COLD SPELL!!!!!!

Posted

Without intending to sound so miserable, I've been hearing all of the above year after from you lot, and it invariably turns out to be complete overhype. 'Dumpings' become dustings if we're lucky! Sorry.. I admit i'm not a meteorological whizz, but just speaking from experience..

Posted

Without intending to sound so miserable, I've been hearing all of the above year after from you lot, and it invariably turns out to be complete overhype. 'Dumpings' become dustings if we're lucky! Sorry.. I admit i'm not a meteorological whizz, but just speaking from experience..

Miserable!, try rude and what seems completely uncalled for.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Look at the faxes for 0000hrs and 1200hrs Friday ... if the SE escapes snow with those troughs moving through and with LP close by with an ENE feed ... then I'd be very surprised!

post-1052-12609211756976_thumb.pngpost-1052-12609212011024_thumb.png

Posted

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

After the brief blip tomorrow, much lower 850s for a 72 hours for when the North Sea snow machine is switched on dirol.gif

Couple more members join the prolonged cold spell club. All to play for next week, but we must focus on the next couple of days.

Pesky cloud continues streaming in here holding the temperatures up.

Posted

Still...the goodies on offer in the next 120hrs really are quite frankly stunning....

Is it really Kold? So were expecting something more potent i.e. more snow potential than the Easterly in February?

The key for the SE and possible reason the beeb aren't as favourable is simply because the fetch isn't travelling over much water and therefore isn't going to pick up the same amount of instablity as it would for EA in general.

Anyway my part of the world still above freezing, seems like the thames valley has a similar trend which doesn't bode well at all for tomorrow. Temps a little to the north already decently below freezing. I suspect th problem is the isloated westerlies that seem to going across the thames valley and thats allowing more cloud to drift towards my location in Essex.

The good news though is the dew points look decent for snow...so as per normal in marginal situations I do expect snow tomorrow, but that it won't settle as the time of day is a littole unfavourable for it!

The 12z suite of models all agreed on a NE flow during Friday which looked the ideal route for snow showers off the north sea into counties around and to the south of London.

Anyway - it will keep chopping and changing, much as everything always does. The old days have a lot to be said for them when you saw/listened to the weather forecast two three times a day at the most, there was no internet etc and no access to charts and weather models galore.

We were better off for it in many ways I say!!

Posted

At the end of the day "its the way the cookie crumbles' :lol:

Posted

Wow I thought my area had a Snowshield, if you are from SW Essex and you missed last February 1st Dumpings (which I know you did'nt as my mum and dad are from SW Essex) then that statement is just plain ridiculous. SW Essex maybe Upminster (They received 15cm) or maybe Brentwood, Epping (They received about 20cm) if that is not a "Dumping" then you are very hard to please.

Paul S

Posted

Well looks as though the cloud is starting to thin now, temperature back down to -1c with -2c dew point, hopefully that trend will continue and we will get the temperature down to -3 or -4 come the morning

Also looks to me from the radar as though the precipitation is a little further south than was expected - good news

SK

Posted

Without wanting to change the subject back to BBC graphics, I happened to notice that there was almost zilch precip for E Anglia and the SE tomorrow on the 23:57 with Jay Wynne - has something major happened this evening to downgrade the precipitation amounts to virtually nothing for tomorrow? Have we missed something?

Posted

Without wanting to change the subject back to BBC graphics, I happened to notice that there was almost zilch precip for E Anglia and the SE tomorrow on the 23:57 with Jay Wynne - has something major happened this evening to downgrade the precipitation amounts to virtually nothing for tomorrow? Have we missed something?

Haha nope, i suspect he may have done something wrong with the graphics because whilst showing them he talked about 1-2 hours of snow

I think its far more important to listen to them than to go by the graphics in such a showery setup

SK

Posted

Their were significant differences in the new model run (18Z) which was fed into the graphics. All change by breakfast time. Nothing to worry about.

Posted

Wow I thought my area had a Snowshield, if you are from SW Essex and you missed last February 1st Dumpings (which I know you did'nt as my mum and dad are from SW Essex) then that statement is just plain ridiculous. SW Essex maybe Upminster (They received 15cm) or maybe Brentwood, Epping (They received about 20cm) if that is not a "Dumping" then you are very hard to please.

Paul S

You're right, that was a dumping, but an exceptional one of the kind we had not seen for 18 YEARS

Also, that was something that was CLEARLY forecast by the BBC, Met Office etc, advanced extreme warnings were issued 4 or 5 days earlier. It was not based on hopeful speculation.