Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well the wind on ground can blow in a different direction to that in the air. Anyway, few hours now and it should start to dig in...

Yes indeed, the 700hpa (roughly cloud level) flow is WNW and not sure that will go SW of west tonight.

Posted

A minimal skimmery skimming last night ,which barely looked like more than a deep frost is as good as its got so far for me.

I decided not to attack the lampost last night after its no snow show.

Most places have had a reasonable blast so i want some now!!!

The lampost has until late Tuesday evening ,and it must show at least 20 consecutive minutes of thick fast flakes, otherwise this lampost will shine no more.

Slim chance this evening i guess but what you folks think for next few days??

How long can we realistically expect this cold blast to last, before we return to the monotony of South Westerly shmizzly drizzly left trouser legy grey 8 degree crap??

Calm down mate buy you snow blower lol.

Posted

How long can we realistically expect this cold blast to last, before we return to the monotony of South Westerly shmizzly drizzly left trouser legy grey 8 degree crap??

Probably cold til Christmas then it's back to default with mild southwesterlies. Bit of uncertainty though.

Posted

What a crisp clear night havn`t seen it like this for along while with a SW wind.

Currently -0.5c after a max of 1.1c

A slack cold low now,winds will be SSW tomorrow and lighter.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn241.png

Posted

Winter's only just begun - seems we may need slightly lower temps to guarantee us snow on the south coast - they should and will probably come with the next bout/s of cold we get in Jan or Feb and this cold blast we have now will help set the scene for colder incursions later in the winter. This is still not over mind and things are chopping and changing all the time + we still have a shot at something this week I think as the atlantic trys to take back control of our weather

Thats my thoughts , the longer we can keep hold of the cold air and cool the seas quicker,then surely thats got to knock a degree or so off jan/feb averages.

Short term though it would be disapointing if there were to be no further snow here,between now and christmas.

The lampost is getting it Tuesday evening... two birds ,one stone..... doing my bit for global warming , and also assisting the weather to the cold side,by the loss of heat from said lampost ,due to incapacitated lampost bulb.

However as i said earlier (20 mins of thick fast flakes and it survives), surely thats not too much to expect?

Probably cold til Christmas then it's back to default with mild southwesterlies. Bit of uncertainty though.

God i hate that default position.

One good thing on global warming, is that it may destroy that default position and we would have similar weather to the canadians muscovites etc.

I guess then at that point we would do anything to get the grey shmizzly grimey grumpy drainy drizlly boring stuff back.

Thats my thoughts , the longer we can keep hold of the cold air and cool the seas quicker,then surely thats got to knock a degree or so off jan/feb averages.

Short term though it would be disapointing if there were to be no further snow here,between now and christmas.

The lampost is getting it Tuesday evening... two birds ,one stone..... doing my bit for global warming , and also assisting the weather to the cold side,by the loss of heat from said lampost ,due to incapacitated lampost bulb.

However as i said earlier (20 mins of thick fast flakes and it survives), surely thats not too much to expect?

There does appear to be decent agreement on the Synoptic pattern on the 24th (GFS UKMO and ECM) with a cold easterly (surface) flow with a battleground scenario, and a chacne of snow as shown by the GFS earlier.

Beyond this is FI, certainly he Atlantic will try to break in, but there will be a lot of cold on top of us by then and it is not easy to shift.

Posted

There does appear to be decent agreement on the Synoptic pattern on the 24th (GFS UKMO and ECM) with a cold easterly (surface) flow with a battleground scenario, and a chacne of snow as shown by the GFS earlier.

Beyond this is FI, certainly he Atlantic will try to break in, but there will be a lot of cold on top of us by then and it is not easy to shift.

Jack one can you tell me if the met radar doesent work over s east ireland i noticed over the years showers dont show up in that area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

There certainly seems to be a consistency problem with this.

How many CMs of snow if any do you think some areas will get from the snow showers in the south tonight?

Posted

How many CMs of snow if any do you think some areas will get from the snow showers in the south tonight?

Hard to say cant see seast ireland on radar.

Posted

God i hate that default position.

One good thing on global warming, is that it may destroy that default position and we would have similar weather to the canadians muscovites etc.

I guess then at that point we would do anything to get the grey shmizzly grimey grumpy drainy drizlly boring stuff back.

There are signs and a trend of blocking high pressure over Greenland again which helps with getting te cold our way - something that an American forecaster has been bleeting on about for some time now - seems to be coming true slowly - he's also convinced that global warming is still not a proven fact and that the next 20 - 30 years of winters will show that as we go into a cooler phase of the earth's weather - what makes the governments of the world think they can control the earth's temp mind you is beyond me - mother nature will find a way!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ loads of showers here, its -3.6c here now and plumiting, should defo see snow here as no warm front ect, temp might rise slightly due to SW wind.

Posted

Mate unless the wind direction changes so we get them blown in we will see 0. lol.

Reading the somerset thread been snowing for a while.Even though they dont look that potent on radar.

Posted

Hard to say cant see seast ireland on radar.

Been tracking a snowy lump from out west that looks likely to hit swansea about 1925-1930.

Wont be much ,may last 5 -10mins max , better than nothing i suppose.

Will probably die out over the gower lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

hopefully they will continue to intensify and push inland more

Posted

Nothing here yet, bit of cloud to the west, otherwise clear skies, Showers should be over me now

Posted

Still won't hit me lol.

Jay the amount of showers there are I can actualy see a few cms maybe hitting Cardiff tonight against the BBC.

Posted

Snow flurries here now, wind picking up too