Hot?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

yeah fingers crossed ah lol

Yes - fingers crossed.

Don't think I could go through another failure like last Monday.

Also fed up working in sleety rain at 1 deg.C knowing everyone else is getting the pasting. This followed by the wet roads freezing once the cold air does arrive resulting in slipping on my bike and trecherous and exhausting unpleasant working conditions. I am not at all impressed with this winter yet - let's hope OUR time will come this time and the precipitation turns to snow for several hours on the back edge of the southward moving front before we lose it.

Will it be cheerful posts in the snow thread or yet more additions to the whining thread?

Does this current situation remind anyone of Thursday 7th to Saturday 9th February 1985?

After the snow of January 1985 being disaapointing locally - as this area missed most of it - rain turned to snow after midnight on Saturday 9th February and deposited 6~10 cm on most ground before dying out. The synoptics then were similar to now, with an easterly cutting in behind a depression in the English Channel, as it moved south. The next week was very cold with maxima around -2 deg.C for a few days.

Good times - let it be repeated in 2009~2010.

Posted

I have a feeling that this LP system on it`s way in could miss the uk completelly, I have seen this type of setup before and the Lp ends up in france. I hope this isn`t the case and at the present time anywhere from 30miles inland of the south coast could see a wintery scene in the morning.

There is going to be some dissapointments somewhere around the uk and it could still be down here.

Good luck folks

Posted

Does this current situation remind anyone of Thursday 7th to Saturday 9th February 1985?

After the snow of January 1985 being disaapointing locally - as this area missed most of it - rain turned to snow after midnight on Saturday 9th February and deposited 6~10 cm on most ground before dying out. The synoptics then were similar to now, with an easterly cutting in behind a depression in the English Channel, as it moved south. The next week was very cold with maxima around -2 deg.C for a few days.

Good times - let it be repeated in 2009~2010.

I was a tiny baby but my Mum said it was terrible!

Edited by Westsussex1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello,

Given that no one down south is really expecting snow in the reliable timeframe, I am however disappointed with my local conditions as of current time (22:54BST 28/12/09)

Alongside the hopes in the General Model Discussion, I am a little disillusioned.

Air temp currently 1.4c DP 1.2c and rising slowly, mind you AT was 0.3c just over 1 1/2 hours ago. wallbash.gif

o people think the cold air is going to dig in soon, or will it be cold rain in my neck of the woods for the next 48 hours or so, if the precipitation reaches here at all of course! nonono.gif

Good Luck all.

Cheers

STORMBOY

Posted

Hello,

Given that no one down south is really expecting snow in the reliable timeframe, I am however disappointed with my local conditions as of current time (22:54BST 28/12/09)

Alongside the hopes in the General Model Discussion, I am a little disillusioned.

Air temp currently 1.4c DP 1.2c and rising slowly, mind you AT was 0.3c just over 1 1/2 hours ago. wallbash.gif

o people think the cold air is going to dig in soon, or will it be cold rain in my neck of the woods for the next 48 hours or so, if the precipitation reaches here at all of course! nonono.gif

Good Luck all.

Cheers

STORMBOY

going by the latest fax chart thursday night into fri gives the far south and south east the best chance of snow fall!

Posted

hello stormboy

think at the moment south of M4 will be rain until late wednesday/thursday.

The problem is that down here the temps over the last few days have risen and so any surface cold has gone, if it does snow i don`t think it will settle for long.

looking at the latest outputs we might be lucky to see much PPN make it this far east to start with which could bode well in the near future.

Just a case of waiting ang letting mother nature throw at us what she will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

hello stormboy

think at the moment south of M4 will be rain until late wednesday/thursday.

The problem is that down here the temps over the last few days have risen and so any surface cold has gone, if it does snow i don`t think it will settle for long.

Hi there Stoxs,

Too true about the M4 barrier yet again, more interestingly it could be a dumping on the downs around Combe/Chute again though possibly?

The Temps in my sheltered valley location have not been much to write about too much recently, however.

Ok 7.1c max (Sat) 6.1c max (Sun) but only 1.5c max (and that's at the current time) today , it's a shame the snow cover has all gone after about 8 days of it lying here in Newbury.

Anyway, I'm certainly not in despair as we have cracking COLD potential in the reliable timeframe too.

Wintry Cheers cold.gif

STORMBOY

Posted

Agree with that mate

I would much rather see this first LP sink south and get the cold -5 uppers in first then hope for some PPN, it`s a bit like having a 20lb turkey and no oven big enough to cook it in .

High ground will always be more likely to see some snow in the next 24-36 hrs.

Thursday/ friday is looking better for us down here cold air already here then a good spell of PPN.

Agree with that mate

I would much rather see this first LP sink south and get the cold -5 uppers in first then hope for some PPN, it`s a bit like having a 20lb turkey and no oven big enough to cook it in .

High ground will always be more likely to see some snow in the next 24-36 hrs.

Thursday/ friday is looking better for us down here cold air already here then a good spell of PPN.

Posted
said,

I was a tiny baby but my Mum said it was terrible!

Sorry,

Totally O.T but that remark made me chuckle, now I MUST ask what Dad's thoughts were 37 years ago on 21st January.

Anyway back to the cold discussion, I do like the latest output, scary and you soon seen see the Newspapers picking up on the chat in these forums!

Daily Mail - 40 foot snowdrifts ice over the whole of the U.K (just North Wales actually) and we can expect weeks of this say 'official forcasters'

The Sun on Page 3 - Lovely Models here say 'Netweather' as rather chilly air reaches Great Britain in the coming few days

Anyway, soon for bed!

Keep it up Guys n Gals (over 800 on the forum tonight!)

STORMBOY

Posted

Temperature in Winchester +2.8; Dew Point 1.5

Steady rain with the odd wet snowflake

Pretty optimistic that we should see some snow late New Years Eve or on New Years Day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Temperature in Winchester +2.8; Dew Point 1.5

Steady rain with the odd wet snowflake

Pretty optimistic that we should see some snow late New Years Eve or on New Years Day.

i just been to tesco and ive noticed its getting colder and colder even here on the southcoast i reckon 24 hours and were be seeing a different picture.:lol:

Posted

i personaly cant see us getting anything from this low, cant see there being anything left in it when it comes back south (if it is still proged to come back south that is)

looking at the radar it seems to me (novice by the way lol) that there isnt alot left in it as it is

ETA: if im wrong someone please spank me and tell me so lol lol

Edited by coxxy22

Posted

While your getting colder then we are getting warmer!

3.8c and 2.6c dp.

Everyone enjoying the rain? :)

Temp 3.6c and 1.6c dp here in northern hampshire.

Lots of rain ... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Temp 3.6c and 1.6c dp here in northern hampshire.

Lots of rain ... :angry:

Evenin all, been raining ALL day on the IOW :nonono: im watchin villa v liverpool atm and am sooo jealous as its hammering down with snow! :wallbash: y cant that be here!!! :unknw:

Anyone know if there is any chance at all of us seein some the end of the week?? :cold:

Thanks

Posted

Evenin all, been raining ALL day on the IOW :drunk: im watchin villa v liverpool atm and am sooo jealous as its hammering down with snow! :drunk: y cant that be here!!! :crazy:

Anyone know if there is any chance at all of us seein some the end of the week?? :cold:

Thanks

I think you will have to wait until next year now .

Posted

Evenin all, been raining ALL day on the IOW :drunk: im watchin villa v liverpool atm and am sooo jealous as its hammering down with snow! :drunk: y cant that be here!!! :crazy:

Thanks

Monday next looking the best for the IOW for snow although knowing our luck it will all turn to sleet and snow as it moves off. Seen it too many times sadly.

Posted

well i keep hearing about this front moving back s on thursday which could give us a little but i wouldnt get my hopes up lol

ETA: just saw the bbc weather forecast and now that seems to have disapeard as well lol lol

the bbc take the left trouser leg lol change their minds like i change my cacks lol

i know its hard to predict but jesus christ 3 times ive seen the bbc weather today and all 3 times it has been different lol

Edited by coxxy22

Posted

well i keep hearing about this front moving back s on thursday which could give us a little but i wouldnt get my hopes up lol

ETA: just saw the bbc weather forecast and now that seems to have disapeard as well lol lol

the bbc take the left trouser leg lol change their minds like i change my cacks lol

i know its hard to predict but jesus christ 3 times ive seen the bbc weather today and all 3 times it has been different lol

lol they r all different!! nightmare!!

I think Im just gonna 4get our chances till feb/march time!! :lol:

Posted

lol they r all different!! nightmare!!

I think Im just gonna 4get our chances till feb/march time!! :pardon:

Cheer up .. you'll have snow before Feb! :D I know the current setup is frustrating with this cold wet low just sitting around -- but it is about to be pushed off to the south west.

Come tomorrow evening you'll have much colder weather albeit mainly dry.

The development you need to watch is the low coming in from the Atlantic on Sunday/Mon ... tracking along the French channel coast would be ideal if you fancy a South easterly blizzard on the IOW. Push that off into the continent and we'd get some very cold North easterlies! :cold:

I'm just praying it doesn't follow the same path as the low we're currently being bothered by.

Posted

Know exactly how ya feel seems to change on a daily basis,but to be fair they are correct whichever way you look at it as they are going on the information that the models supply,and its better for them to forecast a risk of heavy snow but all it does is rain than to say well it will just be rain and it turns up as snow and then they get slated for getting it wrong.

I don't see anything nailed on as they say regardless of what the weather forecast is or what's being said in the models thread I only believe it now when it actually happens,so I expect nothing but prepared for anything.

Posted

Cheer up .. you'll have snow before Feb! :lol: I know the current setup is frustrating with this cold wet low just sitting around -- but it is about to be pushed off to the south west.

Come tomorrow evening you'll have much colder weather albeit mainly dry.

The development you need to watch is the low coming in from the Atlantic on Sunday/Mon ... tracking along the French channel coast would be ideal if you fancy a South easterly blizzard on the IOW. Push that off into the continent and we'd get some very cold North easterlies! :good:

I'm just praying it doesn't follow the same path as the low we're currently being bothered by.

thanx 4 that! :lol: Ive been reading the models thread n they all buzzing about the charts n how good its gonna be for the south and se but im never sure if that includes the iow as we always seem to just miss out!! any exprts here who cud advise me on that?? :nonono:

cheers :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

im no expert but been reading alot of post from the pros on here.

and from what im reading nothing is nailed on in regards to cold but that because no one really knows where pnn gonna go but if anything arive in form of showers or frontal it will be snow.

its going to get very cold indeed and it looks like lasting a fair few days.:good:

Posted

thanx 4 that! :D Ive been reading the models thread n they all buzzing about the charts n how good its gonna be for the south and se but im never sure if that includes the iow as we always seem to just miss out!! any exprts here who cud advise me on that?? :D

cheers :D

I live not so far from you in Poole. Been following the charts for 3 years now and certainly no xpert but the present synoptics suggest that we could be in for something special providing we retain the cold. I always cringe when the temps are right and those tv forecasters always say it will be snow BUT away from the coast. This time however it looks like being more than just cold so heres hoping we get more than our fair share of snow which is long overdue.