Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

I'll believe it when I see it! dirol.gif The charts/forecasts keep changing so much, even by later tonight it could show our area being dry for the rest of the week...

Posted

Evening all! Its been a rather cold day here! We had a low of -5.3c early this morning and never reached anything higher than 0.8c today.

Now currently -2.5c, falling fast :rolleyes:

Posted

Evening all! Its been a rather cold day here! We had a low of -5.3c early this morning and never reached anything higher than 0.8c today.

Now currently -2.5c, falling fast rolleyes.gif

A bit chillier up in Havant than here then... (low of -1C & high of 3C) drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Why is this thread so dead? You lot are in the firing line!

Posted

Because we have had our fingers burnt so many times! Most of us are quite blase about such snow forecasts because it so rarely snows down here & forecasts always get downgraded... I'm more than happy to be proved wrong tomorrow though drinks.gif

Posted

Because we have had our fingers burnt so many times! Most of us are quite blase about such snow forecasts because it so rarely snows down here & forecasts always get downgraded... I'm more than happy to be proved wrong tomorrow though drinks.gif

i agree fully, have not had snow this winter, the isle of wight is allways too warm, has been years since i remember any properly over here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

im expecting a pasting!!warnings from met office and a superb forecast from sky has got me well excited!!! nothing less than a covering will do!! isle of wight better be white tomo!!! i think we all will get some!!! the trough is heading our way...the bbc are sitting on the fence a bit ..... we will see by tomo morning with warnings etc i just hope it doesnt burn out so to speak!!hi.gif good day ....

i agree fully, have not had snow this winter, the isle of wight is allways too warm, has been years since i remember any properly over here.

the temps are well in our favour at the mo!! -2 in the daytime on the island ....... well prepared for some heavy stuff!!!!whistling.gif

Posted

im expecting a pasting!!warnings from met office and a superb forecast from sky has got me well excited!!! nothing less than a covering will do!! isle of wight better be white tomo!!! i think we all will get some!!! the trough is heading our way...the bbc are sitting on the fence a bit ..... we will see by tomo morning with warnings etc i just hope it doesnt burn out so to speak!!hi.gif good day ....

the temps are well in our favour at the mo!! -2 in the daytime on the island ....... well prepared for some heavy stuff!!!!whistling.gif

I would love to be proved wrong, seriously. But concerned about a few things, the temp will be 1c not below freezing, the dew points are too high, the bbc graphics have had us under rain. the met office website graphics have had us under rain or sleet, and several model precip charts have had us under rain ,not snow.

Posted

Dan m in answer to your question,statistically central southern england has the lowest number of lying snow days per annum so people dont get too excited,however i guess that if after all the hype we dont get snow the forecasting agencies would rightly get some justified abuse.

Posted

The latest model updates are bad for the IOW. A small low develops close to the island and we start off with SW winds that slowly back during the day to southerly then to the SE, before finally turning NE again by wednesday morning. The only places that appear to be at risk are the highest hills (ventnor down, St Catherines down) and even there will be a struggle due to the close proximity of the Channel. Our only hope is if the low doesn't develop quite so far west, we would then have a very slack flow over us which could then lead to evaporative cooling, and in turn bring many many inches, but honestly, thats a long shot at the moment.

Posted

I would love to be proved wrong, seriously. But concerned about a few things, the temp will be 1c not below freezing, the dew points are too high, the bbc graphics have had us under rain. the met office website graphics have had us under rain or sleet, and several model precip charts have had us under rain ,not snow.

I noticed how high the Dp's were too, i think its game over to be honest! But i guess there is still the chance for evaporative cooling (like i said in my last post) but i really think thats being wishful!

Posted

I noticed how high the Dp's were too, i think its game over to be honest! But i guess there is still the chance for evaporative cooling (like i said in my last post) but i really think thats being wishful!

im really expecting something we have a warning for snow on weds aswell..... if it rains im going to be well miserable!!!mega_shok.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

I remember when this went wrong for you before. Your posts,although funny, really showed your disappointment. Hope you get covered but for us down here it could well be sleet/rain.

Edited by snow drift

Posted

The watch is on! I got caught out last time (before Christmas) and got stuck at work (Basingstoke), then braved the long trek home on my motorbike in the snow and ice.

Hopefully this time I wont get caught out.

Anyway...

It would seem that the whole of Hampshire is on a 50/50 chance of seeing snow. Up here in North Hampshire its been pretty good, but I understand why others in Hants are still dreaming of a white-out. The model variations are so dramatic that I wouldn't want to put money on it either way (snow vs. no-snow).

Peter

Posted

John Hammond was on the Jeremy Vine show at lunchtime and said that even the South Coast would see snow tomorrow!

-3.5 here at the moment.

Posted

the scots boys on their forum are reporting snow..But it looks to be braking up into showers

Don`t worry about what scotland is getting , this event is very complex with this it could go the shape of the pear!

as the system moves south the trough curlys up to produce a Low Pressure cell, this is why heavy snow is now being forecast there is multiple centers to this systemand anyone of then could end up being the ONE! at the moment it is the one over Central southern England.

Good 6.30 BBC forecast for me and most other Inland places as said costal regions might be marginal but it is set to get here after dark so it might just help to get snow everywhere

Posted

John Hammond was on the Jeremy Vine show at lunchtime and said that even the South Coast would see snow tomorrow!

-3.5 here at the moment.

i agree mate!!! we have had the freezing temeratures!!! now bring on the white stuff!! all the preparation has been done now just for that nice fluffy crisp snow to come tumbling down!!!pardon.gif all the forecasts i have seen have been positive!!!! i dont give a damn about all these dew points etc!!! if its cold enough it will happen!!!girl_devil.gif i wont be here tomoz!!! because i will be building the biggest snowman hampshire has ever seen!!! bon-voyage people!!!aggressive.gif

Posted

If you do get the core then the precip should be heavy enough to force the snow level down right to the surface I'd imagine and cool the air down enough to make it a good event, of course its very marginal and anything less then heavy precip may take it the wrong way right at the coast but we shall see...

I really hope you guys cop it though, would be nice to go back to uni mid month and still have some snow about...

Posted

Well the latest GFS certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons! So much so that I had to frame the latest NetW 7 day forecast for Wednesday, which for those that don't already know updates 4 times a day based on the latest GFS run:

CSE.ppt

I really do not think it will end up anything like it has predicted, but then it is so close to being in the reliable timeframe. Head over heart always seems to be the order of the day in these situations!!

My advice to anyone reading is take everything with a pinch of salt and keep a close eye on the local forecast and radar. I would advise anyone looking at travelling tomoz evening into Weds pays particularly close attention to the forecasts.

Posted

Potential for up to 25cm's of snow if the channel low comes off as predicted.

[trying hard not to get excited]

whistling.gifdrinks.gif

that will do nicely oblix!!!hi.gif