Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Im trying to inject a bit of seasonal humour here, and i find the whole slushy/ grey muddy /left over snow drift thing, quite amusing when it comes to counting it as a white christmas

Reality in terms of the definition of what a "met office snow day " is to myself not really a snow day.

However to others, the technical definition would define it as so.

If you had to re define a snow day in your own terms , would you say a grey slushy muddy mess would count as a white christmas???

If you say so then on this instance im with you , WHITE CHRISTMAS IN SWANSEA WOOHOOO MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

Is tomorrow technical white Christmas, no not unless there is a flake falling in the 24 hour period.

Is tomorrow going to be a Met Office snow day, no there are clear rules, and there is not going to be 50% cover tomorrow at 9am, so No Met Office Snow Day.

However if there is snow lying on the ground, then, it is safe to declare it is as a day with lying snow.

Perfectly acceptable to do so and I am perfectly clear in what I am saying.

Anyway not greedy with White Christmasses here, already had 2 this century in 2001 and 2004, both with lying and falling snow.

Anyway Merry Christmas to all, Nadolig Llawen i Pawb.

Posted

Is tomorrow technical white Christmas, no not unless there is a flake falling in the 24 hour period.

Is tomorrow going to be a Met Office snow day, no there are clear rules, and there is not going to be 50% cover tomorrow at 9am, so No Met Office Snow Day.

However if there is snow lying on the ground, then, it is safe to declare it is as a day with lying snow.

Perfectly acceptable to do so and I am perfectly clear in what I am saying.

Anyway not greedy with White Christmasses here, already had 2 this century in 2001 and 2004, both with lying and falling snow.

Yes indeed you are Jackone, in terms of the technical definitions of everything i agree and bow to your superior knowledge on all this, however , if you were to define your own personal snow day how would you do it??

I would say that on the said day it must snow for at least ten minutes of that day and lie for at least the rest of the day.

Plenty of tough snowmen survive weeks into a mild southwesterly.

Surely the remnants of the guts of a dead snowman ,could not count as a snow day a week after the invasion of said south westerlys??

I feel you maybe think i am being a trifle personal , but im just trying to engage in a christmassy type seasonal fun debate about the things that we find of so much interest.

15 mins to go happy xmas jackone?

Yes indeed you are Jackone, in terms of the technical definitions of everything i agree and bow to your superior knowledge on all this, however , if you were to define your own personal snow day how would you do it??

I would say that on the said day it must snow for at least ten minutes of that day and lie for at least the rest of the day.

Plenty of tough snowmen survive weeks into a mild southwesterly.

Surely the remnants of the guts of a dead snowman ,could not count as a snow day a week after the invasion of said south westerlys??

I feel you maybe think i am being a trifle personal , but im just trying to engage in a christmassy type seasonal fun debate about the things that we find of so much interest.

15 mins to go happy xmas jackone?

Met Office Snow Day and White Christmasses have proper definitions.

A day of lying snow is a day which has stuck generally overnight, so a passing shower would not qualify, but this is only my definition for personal purposes.

However if we are looking for fun, and perhaps moving the debate on, some showers pushing in from NW and Temps of around 1c?

Posted

Met Office Snow Day and White Christmasses have proper definitions.

A day of lying snow is a day which has stuck generally overnight, so a passing shower would not qualify, but this is only my definition for personal purposes.

However if we are looking for fun, and perhaps moving the debate on, some showers pushing in from NW and Temps of around 1c?

Im going to continue my negative thoughts regarding part one of this snow storm(in the possible desperate hope we may get a little bit), though when it does not happen at least i can say to myself "i told you so", i am aware of the radar and local temperatures , its a long shot , a very long one , but you never know.

I often find it snows when i know least about it, thats the best kind of snow, when your not following the weather and it catches you off guard!!

Shows how desperate i am for snow events when i post at 1 min to xmas day.

Oh well maybe that can count as a snow day post?

I am lightly drunk i must add............

Im going to continue my negative thoughts regarding part one of this snow storm(in the possible desperate hope we may get a little bit), though when it does not happen at least i can say to myself "i told you so", i am aware of the radar and local temperatures , its a long shot , a very long one , but you never know.

I often find it snows when i know least about it, thats the best kind of snow, when your not following the weather and it catches you off guard!!

Shows how desperate i am for snow events when i post at 1 min to xmas day.

Oh well maybe that can count as a snow day post?

I am lightly drunk i must add............

I'm off to bed now, not going to be looking at lamp posts for one flake of sleet on Christmas morning, more chance of seeing Santa. :lol:

Merry Christmas

I'm off to bed now, not going to be looking at lamp posts for one flake of sleet on Christmas early morning, more chance of seeing Santa. :lol:

Merry Christmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Wooohooo! Merry Christmas everyone! +1C and drizzle here, Icy roads anyone?

Posted

I'm off to bed now, not going to be looking at lamp posts for one flake of sleet on Christmas morning, more chance of seeing Santa. tease.gif

Merry Christmas

One "snake of sleet" its snaking outside dont you know,(definition of falling sleet as approved by pascalsbongo december 2009),

1% chance id say in the extreme, its better to hope than to have no hope at all!

I just seen Santa , hes ate all the pies and is on his second bottle of wine !!

I did tell the son that santa simply stops time in each time zone when he delivers presents,. and that it can take him years to deliver the presents, but as he stops time, you cant tell, this gave the young lad something to ponder, however like modern day kids, he pretended to his dad that he believed me,but i witnessed the casual flick of the eyebrow to suggest he was just being polite to his dumb old dad.(just wait till tomorrow when his first few presents are hoax presents before the real gifts).

Kids eh, they think they are one step ahead, i cant wait till the young lad opens his first present to find a tin of heinz beans, lol the look on his face will be priceless,i got the video cam all set up to catch that moment, and of course the following normal presents.

Posted

Pen-blwydd hapus Iesu Grist

Happy Birthday Jesus Christ

Posted

Just a quick post to say merry christmas everyone I hope you and you families have a fabulous time. A few feet of snow would be nice but that culd be asking santa for too much :)

One "snake of sleet" its snaking outside dont you know,(definition of falling sleet as approved by pascalsbongo december 2009),

1% chance id say in the extreme, its better to hope than to have no hope at all!

I just seen Santa , hes ate all the pies and is on his second bottle of wine !!

I did tell the son that santa simply stops time in each time zone when he delivers presents,. and that it can take him years to deliver the presents, but as he stops time, you cant tell, this gave the young lad something to ponder, however like modern day kids, he pretended to his dad that he believed me,but i witnessed the casual flick of the eyebrow to suggest he was just being polite to his dumb old dad.(just wait till tomorrow when his first few presents are hoax presents before the real gifts).

Kids eh, they think they are one step ahead, i cant wait till the young lad opens his first present to find a tin of heinz beans, lol the look on his face will be priceless,i got the video cam all set up to catch that moment, and of course the following normal presents.

:)

------------------

A lovely frosty morning here, and glorious sunshine.

Still continues to look promising for Wales next week. At this stage it seems highly likely that another cold snap is on the way. May we be luckier this time.

From my Skiing forecast blog My link

Here is the current snow position for next weeks potential event.

Posted

Nadolig llawen i bawb, neis gweld y mynyddoedd yn Wyn a rhew dros bobman o hyd ac mae'n hanner dydd :) tymheredd 1 gradd :) mae'n mynd i fod yn ddiwrnod oer heddiw, Ble mae'r tywydd mwyn 'ma dywedwch? Gobeithio cawn ni eira wythnos nesaf hefyd :).

Merry christmas to all, nice to see the White Mountains and ice over everywhere and it is still half day: From the temperature 1 degree:) it's going to be a cold day today, Where the mild weather to me please ? We hope we get snow next week too:).

Posted

There's still an inch or so of snow on the ground here so it's a white Christmas for me though not by the official designation.

Early next week is just oozing potential for something very special for us in Wales.

JACKONE, given everything, where do you think the sweet spot in Britain is going to be for the blizzard? Quite a big of disagreement with the MetO having everything much further north than GFS. Is that plausible??

What are you backing?

There's still an inch or so of snow on the ground here so it's a white Christmas for me though not by the official designation.

Early next week is just oozing potential for something very special for us in Wales.

JACKONE, given everything, where do you think the sweet spot in Britain is going to be for the blizzard? Quite a big of disagreement with the MetO having everything much further north than GFS. Is that plausible??

What are you backing?

With the possible exception of the event in Feb 07, we haven't been lucky with these events in recent times. However this past year has shown things may change.

With no guarantees at all. the best places are Mid Wales, and the SE Valleys, although parts of Wales are at risk especially in the south. If we miss out, I think it will probably be due to the band being too far south, rather than rain and too far north.

The good thing about this is also no need to worry about work or school for most during the period either, so if the snow comes, we can really enjoy it.

Posted

With the possible exception of the event in Feb 07, we haven't been lucky with these events in recent times. However this past year has shown things may change.

With no guarantees at all. the best places are Mid Wales, and the SE Valleys, although parts of Wales are at risk especially in the south. If we miss out, I think it will probably be due to the band being too far south, rather than rain and too far north.

The good thing about this is also no need to worry about work or school for most during the period either, so if the snow comes, we can really enjoy it.

uk_d5_lg.gif?time=1261744262

Thanks. I remember 1 (maybe 2) good snowfalls Feb 09 from a low in the channel though I don't remember the exact set up. Also 2 major falls also in Feb 07 as you say.

Met Office have all of Wales under an advanced warning.

True, though if the models came off there wouldn't be much work or school anyway...

Edited by Barb

Posted

Note to Self Must Stop Ramping.

Hard not to get carried away isn't it. Maybe a good idea to expect the worst and hope for the best.

Posted

Well the metoffice must be fairly conident to issue warnings out this early compared to recent times ?? Lookign favourable or now let's hope things don't change to much which they undoubtly will. But if it does come off that's all i can say is 1982 how do you do :)

Posted

All that rain out on the Irish Sea heading E will surely mean a snowfall for inland Wales. 

Posted

All that rain out on the Irish Sea heading E will surely mean a snowfall for inland Wales. 

Very unlikely although it is cold the dew points are too high, Thickness is ok and the upper air temps arent terrible but youll be fairly lucky anywhere below 400meters to see snow tonight.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

According to netweather radar rain is entering wales what is it doing????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Rain and Thunder

Well a bit different.

Posted

very heavy hail here and thunder everywhere is white :pardon: is this a white christmas haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Heavy showers here, some lightning too, Merry Christmas everybody!