Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

I know how you feel.

Lets be honest, there is very little left , its time to accept it ,we have lost out to the south westerly.

Lets pause for a few minutes , remember the good times , then move on.

We should all chip in together and build Tycoch hill up by 1000ft or so, i have a spare bag of sand and a few broken plant pots in the garage so thats a start.

Let go........

Close the curtain so you cant see the lampost as its getting ugly out there.

We are 95% back to good old muddy green here is costa swansea.

Roll on part 2.

Still some snow out there, and to be honest don't agree with a word you have said really.

No real sign of any real mild coming any time soon, maybe a cooler blip, but that is about it.

Heavyish sleet here.

Might be best for tonight if it stays dry, and you can keep existing snow cover.

Posted

Still some snow out there, and to be honest don't agree with a word you have said really.

No real sign of any real mild coming any time soon, maybe a cooler blip, but that is about it.

I do hope your right about no sign of mild weather for some time , i really do, it can be hard seeing all the news reports of heavy snow whilst we have missed out again.

I find that really talking it down ,makes the real thing much better when it comes.

Have a beer and look forward to part 2drinks.gif

Posted

Snowed again covering the tracks somewhat,now a few small flakes temps similar.

Fax chart at 18hrs shows the warm sector over the midlands.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/bracka.gif

As for the milder SW-lys or not as the jet is over S-thern spain,we`re still in sub 528.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack3.gif

Then a beast maybe upon us. :cc_confused:

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack4.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Might be best for tonight if it stays dry, and you can keep existing snow cover.

The touble is jack one 90 per cent of the time only benefits east of uk the only snow we get is a brief northley living on the wrong side of uk lol. Edited by keithlucky

I do hope your right about no sign of mild weather for some time , i really do, it can be hard seeing all the news reports of heavy snow whilst we have missed out again.

I find that really talking it down ,makes the real thing much better when it comes.

Have a beer and look forward to part 2drinks.gif

It's a strange one, we have 4 Met Office Snow Days in a row, with some wet snow set to last into tomorrow and the snow has lasted far better than could have been expected. However other places have done a bit better.

Mustn't be too greedy, we generally do a lot better than much of Southern Britain, and did quite well in Febraury.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The last really cold night of this spell I guess last night, down to -7.9c.

Patchy covering still here today. Went to Nant yr Arian Red Kite centre this afternoon (300masl). Bitter up there with a 2 inch covering (none left in nearby Aberystwyth).

Sleety rain late afternoon in Aberystwyth. Driving home snow cover inland was fresh and up to an inch or so until home where it was just a sprinkling.

Rain and sleet showers this evening trying to wash the remaing coverings away. Max just 1.9c today though, 1c now, ground still frozen.

The touble is jack one 90 per cent of the time only benefits east of uk the only snow we get is a brief northley living on the wrong side of uk lol.

However brief northerlies give heavy snowfalls here, unlike much of Southern UK. There are quite a few people on this forum who complain about not having over an inch or two of snow in many years, we have had that amount of snow (and more) frequently this decade.

If you look at snow events this decade we have done a lot better than most of Southern UK.

Posted

The touble is jack one 90 per cent of the time only benefits east of uk the only snow we get is a brief northley living on the wrong side of uk lol.

Its not fair it really isnt!!

I was thinking of starting a petition maybe, and marching on downing street to demand equal rights regarding snowfall.

Each home in areas which miss out, should be given a fake snow machine.

I blame Gordon Brown for our lack of snowfall.

Snowed again covering the tracks somewhat,now a few small flakes temps similar.

Fax chart at 18hrs shows the warm sector over the midlands.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/bracka.gif

As for the milder SW-lys or not as the jet is over S-thern spain,we`re still in sub 528.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack3.gif

Then a beast maybe upon us. :smiliz19:

http://91.121.93.17/pics/brack4.gif

Blizzards is an over used term on here, but it that chart came of and it looking increasingly possible, Blizzards would be likely at the intersection of the cold air and the front.

True what you say last time snow lasted more than 5 days was feb 8th 1991

From that event we had snow cover from 31st Jan 91 till 14th Feb with remnants of nearby snowmen until 17th Feb.

However earlier this year we had snow lasting from 2nd Feb to 11th Feb, but that was with a blanket of snow, several inches deep.

So in 2009, there have been 12 Met Office Snow Days here, (Definition where more than 50% of Ground is covered by snow, in the official sense this is a non shaded flat grass area)

I cannot recall a year with as many Met Office Snow Days as this since 1991 as you say.

Posted

ame='pascalsbongo' date='23 December 2009 - 22:55 ' timestamp='1261608957' post='1670583']

It's a strange one, we have 4 Met Office Snow Days in a row, with some wet snow set to last into tomorrow and the snow has lasted far better than could have been expected. However other places have done a bit better.

Mustn't be too greedy, we generally do a lot better than much of Southern Britain, and did quite well in Febraury.

Yes that was a bonus , i had one memorable day with my son in the fields at the top of Tycoch hill, made a giant snowman (but destroyed a bit of the farmers field up there shhhhhh dont tell him), skidded about , sledged down the hill etc , was really good.

As i type this i can hear the rain beating on the window , even though i closed the blind and a thick curtain, its a blood bath out there!

Posted

From that event we had snow cover from 31st Jan 91 till 14th Feb with remnants of nearby snowmen until 17th Feb.

However earlier this year we had snow lasting from 2nd Feb to 11th Feb, but that was with a blanket of snow, several inches deep.

Yes very rare that year had proper artic snow real light and fluffy hard to make a snowball had to really compress it.

Posted

Close the curtain so you cant see the lampost as its getting ugly out there.

We are 95% back to good old muddy green here is costa swansea.

Roll on part 2.

It is a bit, the snow is thawing quite quickly due to the rain (though that's stopped now) and the rise in temperature up to 1.6c. Ah well, as you said - part 1 is over. Hopefully a part 2 is coming up next week.

If you look at snow events this decade we have done a lot better than most of Southern UK.

Definitely, can't argue with this decade really. Most years we've had a good dumping of snow and many years we've had several. 13 inches of snow this year, 10 inches total last year, ~10-12 inches in 2005-2006 (all cumulative) and few good falls before that too.

Posted

OK, so it's now safe to say the Mid December 2009 cold snap is officially over. A summary:

Lowest max: -0.3c, 22nd

Lowest min: -8.3c, 23rd

Maximum snow depth: 8cm

Days of lying snow: 4 (so far)

Now attention turns to the potential late December blizzard and potential following cold snap part 2:

2i9p7p4.gif

If that came off the 3 inches we had will look like a sprinkling.

Posted

I think by end of the Night temps may dip below freezing again.

I don't think I've had so many Nights in succession below 0C in a long time.

Will have to check the Weather Station Tomorrow.

Next weeks weather looks interesting indeed. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well the rain melted quite a bit of ice last night, still on lawns and some pavements though, alot of slushy ice now though, temp now at 3C, shame this cold spell had to end just before christmas but now I look foward to the next cold spell!

Posted

06z is fun for us in Wales - we'd be tunnelling out of our houses by New Year's eve. Probably will change though.

114-574.GIF?24-6

126-574.GIF?24-6

Doesn't get any better than that folks.

Posted

06z is fun for us in Wales - we'd be tunnelling out of our houses by New Year's eve. Probably will change though.

114-574.GIF?24-6

126-574.GIF?24-6

Doesn't get any better than that folks.

well, being a snow HATER, and a self employed courier living in the valleys, i'd have to agree with your assessment there! :)

looks like a big event for mid/north wales though.

These charts show any changes that can be made,and no real point in getting massively excited about events 5 days away.

Just acautionary note that Christmas Day charts can be blighted by a lack of flight data, and as a result they can be less accurate than other charts.

However in the meantime I'd like to wish all visitors a joyful Christmas and a very happy 2010.

Bydda'i gobeithio Nadolig Llawen i Pawb ac a flyddwyn hapus newydd.

Posted

Nadolig Llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda i ti hefyd :cold:

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to yo uaswell