Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

:D And, I was about to call you a jammy sod! Looks like it'll freeze hard again, tonight. :D

At least with all this fresh snow cover in the last 2 days we have an insulating layer on the roofs again to help keep out any future severe frosts and reduce the risk of frost damaged tatties or frozen pipes for that matter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Thundersnow !!!!!! Dundee.... Whiteout conditions !!!!!!!! :D:D

Yes that flash a couple of minutes ago seemed to be right over the town. It got very dark but has lightened again now and the shower has eased off.

Posted

At least with all this fresh snow cover in the last 2 days we have an insulating layer on the roofs again to help keep out any future severe frosts and reduce the risk of frost damaged tatties or frozen pipes for that matter.

As an aside we have ice free windows this morning after waking up to some amazing patterns in the last few days, I am afraid this old farmhouse doesn"t have the luxury of double glazing so wool jreseys and fleeces are inside clothes.

Posted

Yes that flash a couple of minutes ago seemed to be right over the town. It got very dark but has lightened again now and the shower has eased off.

What is the temp in dundee just now and is it going up or down ??

Posted

Temp earlier was 4.0c

Now down to 2.7c

On the new run, you can clearly see differance in upper temps between 0600 and 0900. The showers look closer to snow again I think.

There is a NW alert out now that talks about snow showers tonight for our area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Quite true, NL...With all the snow on the roof, my attic-flat is much cheaper to heat than last year... :drinks:

I'm wondering if the backing wind might push that ominous-looking bank of cloud (away to the NNE/NE) this way???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

We've had it all this morning, rain, hail, sleet/snow!!. Definitely melting snow but still a good cover. Off out to clear our ice covered drive/farm track to our house - hopefully will ease our journey out in the car in future days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

It was great to read the model discussion thread this morning and find out that all models were singing from the same hymn sheet regarding the bitterly cold outlook. Someone said tho' that the fly in the ointment was the GEM which had dropped the ball a bit. Just been reading and it looked like the 6z appears to be agreeing with it! I can't look. Will somebody braver than me update this thread ASAP regarding the 6z outcome! :unsure:

It was great to read the model discussion thread this morning and find out that all models were singing from the same hymn sheet regarding the bitterly cold outlook. Someone said tho' that the fly in the ointment was the GEM which had dropped the ball a bit. Just been reading and it looked like the 6z appears to be agreeing with it! I can't look. Will somebody braver than me update this thread ASAP regarding the 6z outcome! :unsure:

06z doesn't look too bad for us up here. Remember to filter good/bad posts by area :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I think the 06z outlook is still pretty good, but one run of the gfs and the wobblies are beginning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

06z doesn't look too bad for us up here. Remember to filter good/bad posts by area :lol:

Oh yes, forgot about that! :lol: Truly amazing reading this morning tho' don't you think CMD? If those were to verify all our dreams would come true!

Posted

06z doesn't look too bad for us up here. Remember to filter good/bad posts by area :lol:

Filter by area????? 99.9% filtered then. Tough read for any area north on the model thread this morning, lots of if's and but's but it does look like we will remain :lol: for a wee while longer.

CMD Been reading model thread for years and I got the impression that the 06z was not one of the more accurate outputs anyway?

Posted

I think that in general that all the models are trending towards an even colder spell of weather. In terms of the 06z GFS this morning I'd say it looks not quite as cold but with more snow around especially for Scotland.

Its basically an option that could more easily go wrong with more areas especially down south seeing rain or sleet instead of snow. Thus there will be loads of debate and arguing on the model thread this morning as some dont like what they see.

Personally I dont really take too much notice of the 06z or the 18z GFS as I find them a bit erratic in their output and usually rely more on the 0z and the 12z GFS, ECM and the Meto faxes all of which, at the moment, are pointing to a cold spell and maybe even much colder weather after New Year than we've had so far this winter. In terms of how much snow we'll get and where, its probably too early to say just yet.

I like the GFS ensembles 850 temperature ensembles for my area with the mean gradually dropping over the last 3-4 days.

t850East~Dunbartonshire.png

Posted

I think that in general that all the models are trending towards an even colder spell of weather. In terms of the 06z GFS this morning I'd say it looks not quite as cold but with more snow around especially for Scotland.

Its basically an option that could more easily go wrong with more areas especially down south seeing rain or sleet instead of snow. Thus there will be loads of debate and arguing on the model thread this morning as some dont like what they see.

Personally I dont really take too much notice of the 06z or the 18z GFS as I find them a bit erratic in their output and usually rely more on the 0z and the 12z GFS, ECM and the Meto faxes all of which, at the moment, are pointing to a cold spell and maybe even much colder weather after New Year than we've had so far this winter. In terms of how much snow we'll get and where, its probably too early to say just yet.

I like the GFS ensembles 850 temperature ensembles for my area with the mean gradually dropping over the last 3-4 days.

ditto re your views on the runs, 0 and 12 here too and your ensembles as same as here, and WOW! the mean not getting above -5 until about the 13th Jan :whistling:

Have had about 3-4cm of hail/snow overnight too, temp currently 2.7C DP 0 - down from a high of 3C earlier.

The models look incredible, what can I say that hasn't already be said - Happy Weather Watching :good:

Edited by Snooz

Filter by area????? 99.9% filtered then. Tough read for any area north on the model thread this morning, lots of if's and but's but it does look like we will remain :whistling: for a wee while longer.

CMD Been reading model thread for years and I got the impression that the 06z was not one of the more accurate outputs anyway?

12z is usually the one taken as the most accurate, or so I have read. I don't actually know myself. You would think I would have learnt something after 5 years on here, but it's all spam that I post (just ask RossB) :good:

Posted

PS: Good Luck today Catch and do keep us updated on the pink/blue situation :whistling:

Oh yes, forgot about that! :whistling: Truly amazing reading this morning tho' don't you think CMD? If those were to verify all our dreams would come true!

I know :good: Can't think of anything else to say as I am in a state of utter shock that this is happening.

Rubbish day today though. Temp up to a snow threatening 3C although dew point is 0C and with bits and bobs of rain/sleet/snow showers about. Going to be very icy underfoot though as the ground is still very cold.

PS: Good Luck today Catch and do keep us updated on the pink/blue situation :rofl:

I will do Snooz, thank you!! :rofl: