Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Just came back in and temp is dropping, still pretty windy but actually feels much colder too! :rofl:

Let shope we see some shower activity later...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Just came back in and temp is dropping, still pretty windy but actually feels much colder too! cold.gif

I noticed it feeling quite bitter again at 1600hr. It's the lower dewpoints and dry air coming in. It felt 'warm' this morning when i stuck my head out the door for the first time The pavements have turned icy again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Excellent news CMD, good to hear :rofl: I find the one we've got is enough of a handful and we've quite while we're ahead !

All in keeping with the ongoing happy festive mood in here and I'm just going to pour myself a large Jack Daniels on your behalf (like I needed an excuse ...)

I'm glad to see lots of blues on the models for the foreseeable future. I'm also happy to say we'll be having lots more blue clothes for BoyCatch#3!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Been above freezing in Glasgow for about 24 hours I think and there was heavy rain today.

I feel like officially declaring this cold snap over. :rofl:

Fab news, so glad for you all. Congratulations!!!!

Thank you SnowyOwl.

Temp is definitely on the drop, the slight thaw of the snow today seems to have stopped and it is now crisping up into a thick layer of ice on the lane outside our flat. Think I may have to get some salt tomorrow, even though I hate killing ice/snow.

Edit: thankyou By-Tor too!! Enjoy the JD!! I am on Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer. If you like ginger beer I recommend it thoroughly.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Speaking of salt, i've tried 3 places whilst i was out and they've all sold out of salt!!

None now for my boiled egg in the morning!!! awwww

Posted

Same here SnowyOwl, its been the warmest day temperature wise for 2 weeks (4 degrees LOL...) but felt bitter when I nipped up town ... blowing a gale, grey skies, still slipping about on hard-packed-ice on many city pavements.

Think you might be more favoured than Embra the next couple of days, you're more exposed. But I'm liking the model story through Sat/Sun/Mon that could see many of us get the white stuff all over again :drunk:

Just came back in and temp is dropping, still pretty windy but actually feels much colder too! :cold:

Posted

Another one, CMD ! :lol: :drunk:

Here in the Arctic Tundra Wastelands of Falkirk Region (ATWFR :cold: ) I can report it's been above freezing all day ( ie, 3c) with a slight thaw. However, much of the snow remains intact thanks to a wind chill which is biting.

Posted

Same here SnowyOwl, its been the warmest day temperature wise for 2 weeks (4 degrees LOL...) but felt bitter when I nipped up town ... blowing a gale, grey skies, still slipping about on hard-packed-ice on many city pavements.

Think you might be more favoured than Embra the next couple of days, you're more exposed. But I'm liking the model story through Sat/Sun/Mon that could see many of us get the white stuff all over again :drunk:

I'm thinking we're sometimes lucky as you say being more exposed to the east/or north east wind. As you say though the weekend looks v interesting.

I'm hoping things don't get too bad as we're supposed to be going out to Fife on New Years day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hail shower passed through here, though some rain falling as it got a bit lighter. Hopefully the temperatures will lower after that and the other showers will be of snow.

Posted

It has to be said - the embedded cold air we've had up here for god knows how long as won the battle over the milder air trying to filter in from the south. To keep it at 3c is good going, and now I think the milder air has been given a clip round the ear for interefering with our cold airmass. Pfft - should be ashamed of itself :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I'm glad to see lots of blues on the models for the foreseeable future. I'm also happy to say we'll be having lots more blue clothes for BoyCatch#3!!!

Another who can only make boys! :drunk:

Really tropical here - 4.5C, but dp now -4C, the lowest it's been :lol:

Quite windy too... :cold: :fart: :lol: (doubt that'll work though :bad: )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Temperature down to 2.6C and dropping quickly but humidity is rising even faster, keeping the dew point at exactly 0C with no notion of which precipitation type will fall. My gut is that it will start as rain, turn to hail again and then move to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Slight shower of hail (snow pellets) at 17.52hr, the biggest cones measured 5-6mm across.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Temperature down to 2.6C and dropping quickly but humidity is rising even faster, keeping the dew point at exactly 0C with no notion of which precipitation type will fall. My gut is that it will start as rain, turn to hail again and then move to snow.

DEW POINT -3.6C, Temp falling ,now 2.3C, Humidity falling, now 65%. We should be picking up something? very soon going by the radar.

Posted

Congratulations Catch! Hope you have an epic blizzard this week to tell him about the 'harsh winters when he was born'cold.giflaugh.gif

Temperature down to 2.4C, which means the dew point is back to -0.3C. That fax chart looks epic, by the way. I do wonder if schools will be closed on Tuesday - they closed it in 2005 when there was 4 inches of snow which melted during the day, so perhaps heavy snow from now until then combined with -20C minima would do the trick?drinks.gif

LS

PS Hogmanay snow in Edinburgh anyone??

PPVG89.png

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Congratulations Catch! Hope you have an epic blizzard this week to tell him about the 'harsh winters when he was born'cold.giflaugh.gif

Temperature down to 2.4C, which means the dew point is back to -0.3C. That fax chart looks epic, by the way. I do wonder if schools will be closed on Tuesday - they closed it in 2005 when there was 4 inches of snow which melted during the day, so perhaps heavy snow from now until then combined with -20C minima would do the trick?drinks.gif

LS

The fax charts are ace!! Also a trough over us midnight tomorrow. Radio 4 forecast(Peter Gibb) has just spoke of heavy snow showers for North and East Scotland tomorrow causing disruption. cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif . More important from a completely selfish point, they are now going for NE windsyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

Possible I think LS. In my experience ENE is obviously the favoured source, right down the estuary. In practice NE is often stretching it a bit (often gets "stolen" by the Eastern half of Fife and we just get a few lighter used up leftovers coming our way)

Rather than a straight 45 degree nor-easter ... instead a 50 or 55 degree wind bearing would make all the difference and deliver us at least something for hogmanay...

LS

PS Hogmanay snow in Edinburgh anyone??

Edited by by-tor