Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Lots of showers building to our of the coast up north

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Just noticed.........I am in a whiteoutyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

I hope this one stays North of the Tay at least as far as Invergowrie. :D Brightish moonlight here but can see the cloud to the East. Snow has gone all crunchy now as temps drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Where else can it go?? I think we all must remember that this spell of cold weather is not the normal 3 day toppler. It is an established pattern which will bring all sorts down in the flow. Can't be bad!!

3 day toppler? It's not even an 11 day toppler!! This cold spell discussion has gone on for about 2 weeks and looks like it will run comfortably for 2 weeks more at least!

Just like to thank CMD and Mondy for posting their thoughts and charts et5c.. just in case they think no-ones listening!

and it prompted me to look at the scandinvia view of the SAT. http://www.sat24.com/scan shows the feature quite clearly feeding and another preceding 2 bands on their way.

Yes, the radar and Fax charts show this occuring through to Saturday, when a major shortwave feature looks set to bring even more snow to these parts!!

Posted

Just like to thank CMD and Mondy for posting their thoughts and charts et5c.. just in case they think no-ones listening!

and it prompted me to look at the scandinvia view of the SAT. http://www.sat24.com/scan shows the feature quite clearly feeding and another preceding 2 bands on their way.

Good link, worth watching overnight. Conditions are ripe for some sort of northerly low feature, but we wait and see. :D

Posted

Good link, worth watching overnight. Conditions are ripe for some sort of northerly low feature, but we wait and see. biggrin.gif

So is there actually 3 features moving our way or is the top one producing the lower two, and pushing them towards Scotlandcc_confused.gif

Posted

From JH (John Holmes, NW weather forecaster) on model thread:

Of snow then obviously its northern and eastern/central Scotland in the main firing line, both from N Sea showers and that low expected to track into the country over the weekend.

So is there actually 3 features moving our way or is the top one producing the lower two, and pushing them towards Scotlandcc_confused.gif

I have no idea, it's just good to see 3 different cloudy bits heading south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The lull in showers is really rather good as far as temperatures are concerned - it's now 1.2C with a dew point of -0.7C ! Hope those showers heading down the coast at the moment are heading for us!

Posted

Good question! Really have no idea, but there is good movement up there, and it's southwards bound!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

From JH (John Holmes, NW weather forecaster) on model thread:

He was correct right at the beginning of this spell when a lot of others were wavering.

. I do hope that he is right again.

Posted

I see the 18z FAX analysis chart has a new Low in the region to the east of Shetland:

http://www.meteociel...o/fax/fax0s.gif

That whole new run is a dream!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Tipping it down with hail again - everything gone white.

Posted

That whole new run is a dream!!!!!!!!!!

Oddly enough, it's produced by the met office, the same people who are predicting bright sunshine here on Saturdaydoh.gif

Posted

Oddly enough, it's produced by the met office, the same people who are predicting bright sunshine here on Saturdaydoh.gif

I would imagine that will be slightly altered in the morning update. Nice lump around Montrose heading SE.

Good question! Really have no idea, but there is good movement up there, and it's southwards bound!

Going by the 18z the window for a polar low coincides with the areas of cloud moving down now on the sat pics.

Here is the sub -40C air at 500hpa roughly an hour ago (but forecast by the 18z GFS):

Then watch as the -40C 500hpa air moves across to Scotland at 18z +21 hrs (3pm tomorrow):

Yes, I am still straw clutching. But conditions are ripe. That does not mean it will or can happen. It just means that it might happen. Or it means that I think it might happen. Which means nothing :lol: :lol:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I would imagine that will be slightly altered in the morning update. Nice lump around Montrose heading SE.

You mean SWnonono.giflaugh.gif

Posted

Indeed rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Phew! was getting a bit worried that the massive block of showers up the east coast was heading for the continent!!

Posted

Phew! was getting a bit worried that the massive block of showers up the east coast was heading for the continent!!

It looks as if when that low comes into Scotland on Saturday, that it has some slightly warmer air with it on GSF and MO. Very short lived but there none the less.

Posted

The weather currently on Shetland with that feature we're watching has recently produced rain. Temps at Lerwick are 4c / DP -2c

This may go some way in seeing which ppn you get should the band continue further south.

The way it's moving, bang on Aberdeen is this feature: http://www.sat24.com/scan What's temps there just now? Condusive for snowfall?

Posted

The weather currently on Shetland with that feature we're watching has recently produced rain. Temps at Lerwick are 4c / DP -2c

This may go some way in seeing which ppn you get should the band continue further south.

The way it's moving, bang on Aberdeen is this feature: http://www.sat24.com/scan What's temps there just now? Condusive for snowfall?

0.7 here in the city at the moment, I think it's slightly colder at the airport. DP at -3.