Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

smile.gif

I wouldn't put it down as holding my own. JH has taught me so much over the years, especially the need to read and learn and to stand back and look at the weather objectively. I'm just glad I took note of my past failures and listened to his advice. Many others on here should do the same (that is aimed at the model thread, not here). JH is the Gandalph of NW, a true weather legend.

All I need now is a PL to form, then we're really talking laugh.gif

As for the showers and snow potential for the next few days. If I can get snow from a couple of wind blown random showers from the east coast then you easties are in for a pasting.

Over here we'll just have to put up with the remains of snow from the last 11+ days of snow covered Scotland. What a disaster!! rofl.gif

Edinburgh Hogmanay forecast update, still looks to me to be: SNOW! If they cancel it "at the last minute" I will be the first to ring round the news agencies and point out that this was forecast days in advance, by you! smile.gifsmile.gif

Thanks Catchsmile.gif Really looking forward to tomorrow, more from a snow watcher's perspective than a new year celebrator!!

Just hope there's enough of an easterly pull left in the early hours to direct the heavy snow band towards Fife as northerlies rarely deliver here, unless convection is really strong. However, tomorrow the winds go back to more of a northeasterly, so potential then is pretty big. As for the Hogmanay prediction, I just call it as I see it: any moderate east or northeast flow will deliver for Fife and the Lothians, though this evening has been a wee bit of a let down so far, but that has more to do with the wind direction changing really!

He is like Gandalf really - the only true master of british weather forecasting, I suspect. Not only that, as he is a Yorkie he lacks the southeast bias held by many on here, so is able to take a wise, neutral stance when the model discussion goes into southeast snow watch mode.

Anyway, better get to bed now. Hopefully the charts will bring blizzards for Tuesday so I'll have an extended holidaylaugh.gif . Looking at +144 though, it's not that implausible!!

Night

LS

Thanks Catchsmile.gif Really looking forward to tomorrow, more from a snow watcher's perspective than a new year celebrator!!

Just hope there's enough of an easterly pull left in the early hours to direct the heavy snow band towards Fife as northerlies rarely deliver here, unless convection is really strong. However, tomorrow the winds go back to more of a northeasterly, so potential then is pretty big. As for the Hogmanay prediction, I just call it as I see it: any moderate east or northeast flow will deliver for Fife and the Lothians, though this evening has been a wee bit of a let down so far, but that has more to do with the wind direction changing really!

He is like Gandalf really - the only true master of british weather forecasting, I suspect. Not only that, as he is a Yorkie he lacks the southeast bias held by many on here, so is able to take a wise, neutral stance when the model discussion goes into southeast snow watch mode.

Anyway, better get to bed now. Hopefully the charts will bring blizzards for Tuesday so I'll have an extended holidaylaugh.gif . Looking at +144 though, it's not that implausible!!

Night

LS

Have a good sleep, you may need it going into the weekend :crazy:

Who cares what happens now?? We've had this cold spell lasting for over 10 days, another couple of days and it's a half month of cold. Can I be the first to propose the cold spell of Dec 09 as a candidate for the "General Cold Spell Hall of Fame" to be whispered about in ushered tones alongside 95 and 81, amongst others??

Any seconders??

Can I also be the first to suggest that this cold spell may eventually be nominated for the "Proper Cold Spell Hall of Fame" alongside 63 and 47???

So a BAFTA first and then maybe an OSCAR??? :yahoo:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Classic video

Do you think scotrail own one of these ? :yahoo:

Let's hope so :crazy::)

Just in from Ibrox and wow Dundee united what a sorry team you were tonight!ha neways still a fresh covering of snow and still have about 10cm of snow lying, the next 7 days look fun to say the least :):) Cheers

Scott

What's a bigger shock? This cold spell, or Boyd being better than Henrik. I am a bit surprised that BBC news isn't making more of Boyd's story. Celtic fans are spitting but there you go. Stats tell the story.

Levein must get him back for Scotland.

Temp still up at 1.4C, somehow everything is freezing up anyway :):rofl:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Have a good sleep, you may need it going into the weekend laugh.gif

Who cares what happens now?? We've had this cold spell lasting for over 10 days, another couple of days and it's a half month of cold. Can I be the first to propose the cold spell of Dec 09 as a candidate for the "General Cold Spell Hall of Fame" to be whispered about in ushered tones alongside 95 and 81, amongst others??

Any seconders??

Can I also be the first to suggest that this cold spell may eventually be nominated for the "Proper Cold Spell Hall of Fame" alongside 63 and 47???

So a BAFTA first and then maybe an OSCAR??? rofl.gif

I second both those propositions, and suggest that the entire scottish cold spell thread team be knighted for services to meteorologyyahoo.gif

I figured I may need more sleep but then again I haven't slept for longer than 7 hours for days! Such is the greatness of this spell! It's suddenly dropped to 0.1C so if the showers do eventually catch us, they'll most definitely lie ! Proper cold spell hall of fame here we come!!!

Anyway, night!

LS

I second both those propositions, and suggest that the entire scottish cold spell thread team be knighted for services to meteorologyyahoo.gif

I figured I may need more sleep but then again I haven't slept for longer than 7 hours for days! Such is the greatness of this spell! It's suddenly dropped to 0.1C so if the showers do eventually catch us, they'll most definitely lie ! Proper cold spell hall of fame here we come!!!

Anyway, night!

LS

I think we need the extra 3 weeks onto our almost 2 week cold spell to qualify for the 47 or the 63 hall of fame. But I do feel we have equalled the others.

Posted

I think we need the extra 3 weeks onto our almost 2 week cold spell to qualify for the 47 or the 63 hall of fame. But I do feel we have equalled the others.

Boyd just cant stop scoring should be back in the Scotland squad no problems! Also Saturdays looking very interesting to say the least :) Cheers

Scott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

Boyd just cant stop scoring should be back in the Scotland squad no problems! Also Saturdays looking very interesting to say the least smile.gif Cheers

Scott

im sure he will be back in the scotland jersey next game but will he still be with the gers come feb.well anyway any new year revellers make sure you rap up welldry.gif

Posted

Heres a video I took yesterday, just seconds after a flash of Lightning and a clap of thunder preceded a heavy hailstorm in Dundee ..

P.S.

I hate Kris Boyd :) with a vengance ...Ahhh the ups and downs of being a United Fan :)

Edited by Polarlow

Posted

Boyd? Thanks but no thanks! He wasn't picked for a game when he wasn't getting regular football, whinged his greeting little face off about it and then ditched the national team when he might have been needed. We don't need players like that so I say good riddance! Sure, he's scoring goals for fun but it's very true what people say about him not doing it against the big teams. He's scored I think one or two goals against Celtic in all his games for Rangers...having said that are Celtic classed as a big team these days?! :D

Anyway, sorry for very off topic rant but Boyd annoys me...mon' the snow!

Edited by BlizzardConditions

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Morning all. Perth -4.5C and dry with no overnight snow. Cairngorm National Park getting a pasting just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning everyone. As soon as the wind turned northerly last night it killed all the showers stone dead! The sooner it vears north easterly for us the better I'm afraid or we will land up with cold, dry and boring! Temp -1.4c dew point -4.9c. Wind is starting to vear NNE. :D

Posted

Very heavy snow and hail here just now after a further 4cms overnight currently 0c, I am pretty sure we haven"t seen the last of the snow. Of all the years the councils have to cut back this has to be the one. With hardly any snow clearence on the side roads we are soon going to be blocked in and the only way out will be by tractor through the fields!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all. Temp is -1.4 dp is -4.9. Although Met office says it should be -8 with glorious sunshine all day!!!!

Gmtv wather for scotland says it will be a dry day, is this true?

Morning! :) We've got to get out of this northerly or it's the kiss of death for us I'm afraid!

Posted

Snow now faliing at the rate of about 5cms /hour We now have an accumulated total of about 30 cms. This is truly historical weather.

Posted

The GSF wind chart does show it bend slighty more to the NE by 0900 and the NE right down the coast by lunchtime. There is not actually that many showers off the coast here, but huge showers building up off the North coast. We probaly need to be patient this morning and hope for the veer to the east