Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The GSF wind chart does show it bend slighty more to the NE by 0900 and the NE right down the coast by lunchtime. There is not actually that many showers off the coast here, but huge showers building up off the North coast. We probaly need to be patient this morning and hope for the veer to the east

Yes, any showers that there have been over night have passed by to the East as the Northerly component of the wind grew. However there is a bit of cloud now builkding to the North. Temp in my back garden half an hour ago was -2.5C but it seems a bit warmer here in the City Centre. [Working unfortunately]. :)

Posted

Hello Scotland, would be nice to see some pics from up there at the moment i'm relying on Winterhighland.com for the time being.

Posted

Given where the showers are to the north won't a NEly simply push them into Moray and Highland? It'll be OK if the feature moves south, but if it continues to move SW it will miss here and anywhere further south as seems to be happening at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What's this moving down Norway?? Looks interesting and certainly one to watch if it develops at all:

http://www.sat24.com/homepage.aspx?page=ir

Don't start! :) I'm just in the middle of my first cup of coffee! :) I'll be on something stronger by lunchtime!

Posted

I think the wind has already wung more to east as we have clouds scooting over us now from NNE direction. 1 hour ago they were just visible to the east. That feature of the coast of Norway is interesting.......and rotating.........help.gifhelp.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Posted

Fair bit of cloud gathering to our north/north east here. Might get interesting.

Posted

Hello Scotland, would be nice to see some pics from up there at the moment i'm relying on Winterhighland.com for the time being.

Yes please - us snow starved southern softies would like to see some scottish snow....please.

I suppose it'll be pretty cold tonight for those of you heading out with lumps of coal ....or whatever that quaint custom of yours is :)

Posted

Nothing much more than a dusting for us overnight, although like many others the wind did pick up quite a bit.

The band of snow showers that is in the vicinity all seem to be skirting just to the South of us though. The wind is almost coming from the NE for us, and to be honest we could do with it swinging a little more to the East if we wanted the snow, as that may blow them down the Cromarty Firth instead

Posted

That thing off Norway must be the feature that the MO are going for on this chart, but you gonna have to stay up late to see it passing down the east coastlazy.giflazy.giflazy.gif !!!!!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=24&carte=2000

Posted

Well people, any snow thats melted over the past few days has been renewed. Still feels slightly marginal though this morning, although the snow is falling.

Why is the BBC forecasting 5oC tommorow? Surely not???? :)

Posted

Yes please - us snow starved southern softies would like to see some scottish snow....please.

I suppose it'll be pretty cold tonight for those of you heading out with lumps of coal ....or whatever that quaint custom of yours is :)

Coal and a piece of black bun no less! The coal signifies good luck for the household you are visiting and the black bun? I honestly haven't a clue but I take it anyway! :) Traditionaly, the first foot is supposed to be tall, dark and handsome - so far they've been short, fat and ugly! (but I live in hope!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Funny our local radio was saying temps especially around the coasts will be around 4 degrees!? Thought that was a bit odd but maybe i'm wrong.

We've had hail mostly last night and have had a strong snow shower giving us a lovely new topping to our ice/snow. Lovely scenes this morning.

Coal and a piece of black bun no less! The coal signifies good luck for the household you are visiting and the black bun? I honestly haven't a clue but I take it anyway! :) Traditionaly, the first foot is supposed to be tall, dark and handsome - so far they've been short, fat and ugly! (but I live in hope!)

I always get to first-foot in my family as I'm the tallest and darkest. Can't call myself handsome but two out of three ain't bad. And the tall thing isn't much to write home about, I'm only 5ft 10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi Barry...Welcome to the snow-zone! :wallbash:

There are loads of photos earlier in this thread and throughout the other Scottish threads. When I take ToddlerCatch out later I will take more photos.

I see you have been causing chaos in the model thread Disco-Boy. Will you ever learn?? :)

I hope you and MrsDB and family had a good Xmas :wallbash: and Happy New Year when it comes.

Posted

I always get to first-foot in my family as I'm the tallest and darkest. Can't call myself handsome but two out of three ain't bad. And the tall thing isn't much to write home about, I'm only 5ft 10.

Beats my 4'10" :wallbash:

Posted

Is first footing not a bit sexist?

Am I unlikely to find a beautiful tall raven haired scots girl at my door tonight? :wallbash:

Beats my 4'10" :wallbash:

I thought MrsCatch was wee at 5ft2!! Having said that in comparison to the rest of her family she is actually quite tall. Her brothers are all about 5ft4. Makes me feel like a giant at family get togethers.

My wee gran was 4ft 10 when she was younger, then she shrank in old age. And yes, we called her Wee G.

Anyway, I am off to get ready to go to the shop and get rolls before it all goes silly. Plus I should really scrape the ice away from the front door, it is the slippiest it has been for however long this cold period has lasted. 12 days of snow cover now??

Posted

Am I unlikely to find a beautiful tall raven haired scots girl at my door tonight? :)

Drop me your address and I'll give you a call! :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Am I unlikely to find a beautiful tall raven haired scots girl at my door tonight? :)

Do most men not live in hope of that? :wallbash:

Anyways the snow is looking interesting for later, what is that coming down from Norway?? is it a Polar Low forming??

Best go out and scrape the ice away too, before things get any worse or i'll not be getting out at all.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

15 in total CMD since the easterly first deposited some white stuff. Very very patchy here in Leith but I know for many its been purer and continuous ... certainly for LS and others I'm sure ?

I thought MrsCatch was wee at 5ft2!! Having said that in comparison to the rest of her family she is actually quite tall. Her brothers are all about 5ft4. Makes me feel like a giant at family get togethers.

My wee gran was 4ft 10 when she was younger, then she shrank in old age. And yes, we called her Wee G.

Anyway, I am off to get ready to go to the shop and get rolls before it all goes silly. Plus I should really scrape the ice away from the front door, it is the slippiest it has been for however long this cold period has lasted. 12 days of snow cover now??

Posted

Not a flake here... :wallbash::):)

I"ll try to send some west along the A96. A couple of post-2744-12622512483113_thumb.jpgpost-2744-12622512270113_thumb.jpgrecent images which don"t really do justice to the depth of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thanks NL...I could do with the wind veering a tad towards the East... :wallbash: