Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Dundee reported thunderhail/sleet/snow this morning. I think you're a bit too far inland for that kind of instability at this time of year, but you never know!

There were several reports of thundersnow from the Dundee area and parts of Fife this morning. It was the first time in years I have witnessed it. The sky went blackand there was a big flash of lightning just before a heavy snow and hail shower.

There were also reports of a couple of lightning flashes in the Broughty Ferry / Minifieth areas.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

It has to be said - the embedded cold air we've had up here for god knows how long as won the battle over the milder air trying to filter in from the south. To keep it at 3c is good going, and now I think the milder air has been given a clip round the ear for interefering with our cold airmass. Pfft - should be ashamed of itself :D

Totally agree, :D

Funny thing here, while I was working I thought I heard rain/soft hail.. but have just stuck me head oot the windae to see the snow on roof is now frozen again and that lovely corona around the moon y'all mentioned last night :)

New fax charts look promising for us all on Saturday

http://www.meteociel.../fax/fax60s.gif

Great Charts!!

Anyone got any thoughts on that feature currently just E/NE of Shetland? Looks like it's head this way.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Think that's what's been throwing off the couple of bands we've already received today. I remember one year (might've been 2000 now that I've read CMD's post) where in a N/NE'erly something oop there just kept throwing off what looked like teeny cotton wool looking showers but actually landed up leaving about 40cm (Lady P's avatar year?) over the course of a couple days

About 5 minutes ago a I heard a really squally wind develop after less than hardly any wind this afternoon accompanied by very heavy hail which is still falling and coming down the chimney, currently 0c, quite extraordinary weather.

Agree quite weird, good job Santa's finished with the chimney :D

Posted

With this feature in mind (passing over Shetland) http://www.sat24.com/gb

Thought I'd attach this too.

Shows how fickle a Polar Low can be (yes, I'm thinking this feature has certain PL characteristics - for a start it's got curvature (if you view the sat image)more thn any streamer has.

We see!

post-8552-12622055591113_thumb.jpg

Posted

We've even had a few showers here this evening! The large heavy one to the West of Edinburgh looks like it has our name on it next. A few cm's of snow settled on the mate at livingston. http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/index.aspx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

With this feature in mind (passing over Shetland) http://www.sat24.com/gb

Thought I'd attach this too.

Shows how fickle a Polar Low can be (yes, I'm thinking this feature has certain PL characteristics - for a start it's got curvature (if you view the sat image)more thn any streamer has.

We see!

Really Exciting just to see what it looks like, never mind actually getting snow from it, but the way the showers are tracking, you just never know!!

Posted

Snow streamer setting up? Might manage a dusting out of this one, could use it to top up what has melted today.

post-26-12622061930813_thumb.png

Looking further north of Shetland, and following in the NE'ly wind, look what's forming off Tromso, Norway:

That feature has been there since this afternoon, late on. I managed not to think too much about it, until now...:p

We have now had two brief but heavy snow showers from Tayside with love :wallbash: A nice surprise.

Snow streamer setting up? Might manage a dusting out of this one, could use it to top up what has melted today.

post-26-12622061930813_thumb.png

If the shower coming off the Forth follows the track of the two which have brushed here from the Tay, then you should get a few flakes. Have you seen the speed with which the showers are blootering across Scotland?? Superb :wallbash:

Posted

That feature has been there since this afternoon, late on. I managed not to think too much about it, until now...:)

We have now had two brief but heavy snow showers from Tayside with love :p A nice surprise.

It was actually a proper Polar Low this afternoon. I wonder if it's "spawned" anything, ie the Shetland cloud movement.

Mondy: Clutching at straws :wallbash:

post-8552-12622064798113_thumb.jpg

Posted

If the shower coming off the Forth follows the track of the two which have brushed here from the Tay, then you should get a few flakes. Have you seen the speed with which the showers are blootering across Scotland?? Superb :wallbash:

Yeah, It's the reason why the showers are managing to make it across. The wind is meant to die down later tonight but we shall see...

Posted

The pavements are like a sheet of glass round here, i wish it would stop melting and freezing over!!!. I dont think theres a shop with salt in it in the whole of ayrshire! Maybes a nice fresh layer of snow will help, some proper powdery snow would be lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I've finally found the long range chinese weather models that Joe B was talking about! http://cmdp.ncc.cma.gov.cn/pred/en_cs.php

Posted

The pavements are like a sheet of glass round here, i wish it would stop melting and freezing over!!!. I dont think theres a shop with salt in it in the whole of ayrshire! Maybes a nice fresh layer of snow will help, some proper powdery snow would be lovely!

Its just started snowing again here, should probably head in your direction if it makes it across.

It was actually a proper Polar Low this afternoon. I wonder if it's "spawned" anything, ie the Shetland cloud movement.

Mondy: Clutching at straws :D

If you look at the latest FAX analysis is it not just the area of low pressure off the Norwegian Coast??

And quit the straw clutching, that's my job :):D

Posted

If you look at the latest FAX analysis is it not just the area of low pressure off the Norwegian Coast??

And quit the straw clutching, that's my job smile.gifgood.gif

h500slp.png

Just your average Scandi low. Still, gives me an opportunity to post this rather amazing chart filled with snow potential for... 11 minutes ago!!

Posted

And quit the straw clutching, that's my job :D :D

Hehe!

Latest analysis chart show the low well. Should that be drawn into the NE'ly winds, snow and more snow for NE :-)

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?date=0&size=standard〈=en&map=NEurope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Blizzard in livingston just now - wind blowing snow around in all directions, then pausing it ( bizarrely wind holding snow in a kind of vortex before dropping it) , then hammering it down again.

Interspersed with hail. A good few cm's so far.

Enough to cover the already tundra street and deal with the mild warming this afternoon.

Back to cold spell business :D

Hehe!

Latest analysis chart show the low well. Should that be drawn into the NE'ly winds, snow and more snow for NE :-)

Where else can it go?? I think we all must remember that this spell of cold weather is not the normal 3 day toppler. It is an established pattern which will bring all sorts down in the flow. Can't be bad!!

Posted

Just like to thank CMD and Mondy for posting their thoughts and charts et5c.. just in case they think no-ones listening!

and it prompted me to look at the scandinvia view of the SAT. http://www.sat24.com/scan shows the feature quite clearly feeding and another preceding 2 bands on their way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

feel like im missing out... im way too sheltered here in argyll will take some wind to blow the showers over the mountains to us