Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A heavy and more prolongued snow shower is ongoing here. Still a bit wet but lying and becoming more snowy as I look. The previous shower had been hail and snow pellets and sleet but this is definately snow. Temps down from this mornings max of 3.6C to 1C now as the cold air digs in.

The bit of melt earlier today will hopefully be more than compensated for later. Been an eventful day especially the thundersnow at 9AM this morning. :lol:

Edit. Has just stopped as I finished typing and there is some dripping. Hopefully the next shower will be of the powdery variety if the temp can drop just a touch more.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

A heavy and more prolongued snow shower is ongoing here. Still a bit wet but lying and becoming more snowy as I look. The previous shower had been hail and snow pellets and sleet but this is definately snow. Temps down from this mornings max of 3.6C to 1C now as the cold air digs in.

The bit of melt earlier today will hopefully be more than compensated for later. Been an eventful day especially the thundersnow at 9AM this morning. rolleyes.gif

Edit. Has just stopped as I finished typing and there is some dripping. Hopefully the next shower will be of the powdery variety if the temp can drop just a touch more.

We are white again too after a dissapointing morning / early afternoon. Very heavy just now

Anyone got any thoughts on that feature currently just E/NE of Shetland? Looks like it's head this way.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

WOW What on earth is that!!!!!!!help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

Its a second trough.......you can see it on the fax charts off the coast of Norway

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Anyone got any thoughts on that feature currently just E/NE of Shetland? Looks like it's head this way.

A bunch of heavy showers or more heading towards Grampian I would think. How are your temps now?

Meanwhile here we seem to be in the firing line of a stream of showers.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

A bunch of heavy showers or more heading towards Grampian I would think. How are your temps now?

Meanwhile here we seem to be in the firing line of a stream of showers.

It's 1.1ºC in my city garden now - I think the snow cover is keeping the temperature down nicely. It feels and "looks" colder now too with a light sprinkle of snow on the ground where I'd cleared it fully earlier.

Edit: Reporting Scotland forecaster has just stated that "heavy snowfall could cause problems in Aberdeen" tomorrow night. The forecast showed lots of snow down the eastern half of the country and across the north.

Edited by doctormog

Posted

That looks like the predicted snow for the north and east of Scotland tomorrow!!!

I do believe we may be in for quite a dumping from it. Hope it doesn't spoil any outdoor activities tomorrow night........wrap up folks:cold::unknw:

Temps sitting at 2C and a heavy shower of snow and hail at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Everthing has turned white again. Quite a heavy shower of snow and hail- gusty winds too.

Just to give another indication of the power of these showers, we have had a few flakes of snow here in the last ten minutes. Nothing much, but still impressive to have a flurry from what is now turning into a NEly. I am now watching a couple of showers coming off the Tay estuary which may just about scrape me with a flake or two later. Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting anything to add to the consolidated snow cover, but simply a few flakes in the wind will more than suffice.

Posted

Just to give another indication of the power of these showers, we have had a few flakes of snow here in the last ten minutes. Nothing much, but still impressive to have a flurry from what is now turning into a NEly. I am now watching a couple of showers coming off the Tay estuary which may just about scrape me with a flake or two later. Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting anything to add to the consolidated snow cover, but simply a few flakes in the wind will more than suffice.

Dont know if we are stuck under one but we have got 2-3cm in the last 3/4hour and its still pouring down. Started as hail now proper snow.

Dont know if we are stuck under one but we have got 2-3cm in the last 3/4hour and its still pouring down. Started as hail now proper snow.

Well they are heading WSW* at a fair lick, so should scrape by me to the north before 9pm.

*I had to think about the direction, how often do showers get over Scotland from that direction?? A Tay - Clyde streamer, now that would be something to talk about for years....

Posted

Hope that it's not missing here to the South. We have been dry for a while now.

Posted

That looks like the predicted snow for the north and east of Scotland tomorrow!!!

I do believe we may be in for quite a dumping from it. Hope it doesn't spoil any outdoor activities tomorrow night........wrap up folks:cold:cold.gif

Temps sitting at 2C and a heavy shower of snow and hail at the moment.

im excited nowyahoo.gif yeah i hope it does give a good dumping as Wick has very little if any snow on the ground this is the 3rd time thats its snowed and thawed during the cold spellmellow.gifbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Incredible! Road totally covered by 10 minutes of light snow then very heavy hail. Very heavy pink sky so I'd imagine there'll be more.

Posted

Snowing lightly here which is a total surprise because there was nothing on the radar but showers seem to be beefing up across the central belt from nowhere.

It would be amazing if a streamer situation developed but it appears mother nature keeps throwing up surprises now and again :lol:

Looks like Fife is due a battering shortly :lol:

Edited by dinger

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Wow, just caught a beauty! must be the one you had LS. Like you, everything covered. I think this could be the start of something big! :lol:

Snowing lightly here which is a total surprise because there was nothing on the radar but showers seem to be beefing up across the central belt from nowhere.

It would be amazing if a streamer situation developed but it appears mother nature keeps throwing up surprises now and again :lol:

Looks like Fife is due a battering shortly :lol:

Not really surprising given the wind Dinger :)

I think there will be many more surprises to come, this cold spell is simply astounding. Has anyone else been in the model thread recently?? I think we'll need to start getting a little technical in this thread this evening and do our own mini-model thread for Scotland as the main thread is just useless for us. People talking about the "start of the cold spell" and such like. Don't worry for anyone who isn't really sure about anything technical, we've got LomondSnowstorm, Mondy and others to explain things for us. I will try my best too but I'm really not that good at these things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Wow, just caught a beauty! must be the one you had LS. Like you, everything covered. I think this could be the start of something big! biggrin.gif

As long as the winds don't turn too much in the course of the evening. If that happens, we may end up missing the showers. However, even if it turns to the northeast, there is enough convection NNE of us to blow it inland (considering it will be more of a northerly in the north of Scotland than in the south, therefore showers blown south along the coast will always be blown inland towards Fife). If the wind stays roughly in the same direction, we may be looking at a major Fife streamer event.

Posted

About 5 minutes ago a I heard a really squally wind develop after less than hardly any wind this afternoon accompanied by very heavy hail which is still falling and coming down the chimney, currently 0c, quite extraordinary weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Cracking big moon again tonight... few clouds to tell whether it has a big corona like last night

Posted

The bit of melt earlier today will hopefully be more than compensated for later. Been an eventful day especially the thundersnow at 9AM this morning. :lol:

Exactly how today has gone in Aberdeen too. Just been out for a newspaper and it does now seem cold enough for snow to lie and there are some icy patches now devloping. Temp only 1.4° at 7pm however the dewpoints must be well down.

I'm just a bit alarmed at the latest BBC forecast which has Aberdeen at 4° for 8am tomorrow morning!

Maybe they're just going by what happened last night when the temp rose markedly

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted

Ok, prime example of shortwave snow from the ECM at 72 hours:

Recm721.gif

This would give a similar amount of snow to the event of the 22nd/23rd December, only to areas further south i.e. the borders and northeast England. The rest of the run looks even better, with a very cold but fairly slack ENEsterly flow dominating from Monday night onwards.

Recm1441.gif

The UKMO decides to bring in the most direct northerly I've ever seen at this stage, sourcing directly from the north pole.

Rukm1441.gif

Not necessarily that much PPN other than in the north and exposed coasts but it would be incredibly cold, though that little feature to our northeast might bring snow. In the short term, numerous troughs pushing southwest over the next day or two, with almost anywhere affected. Tonight's main event appears to be a snow streamer from Fife right across the central belt to the Clyde. If this continues overnight, any area in this track is likely to be hit hard by snow, due to the lack of mountains for them to cross. As always, don't eat the yellow snow!

LS

edit: 1.6C now with yet more soft hail! I think this will change to snowflakes as temperatures get below 1C.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

We just got the tail end of a shower which came all the way from the Tay!! A very brief (5mins) but very heavy snow shower which has left a thick dusting on the cars outside. Incredible stuff! :lol: (and I don't use that smilie very often, indeed, before the last week or two I had never used it)