Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

it feels like it has warmed up quite a bit as the cloud gets closer, guess we are in for rain.

were only 10 miles from you and its snowing here.

Edited by shawng

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

cold surfaces + -DP + dry surfaces + 10 mins of heavy snow = this:

post-9352-12624276726713_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Light snow shower here :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well milder air has again allowed too turn some of the snow to sleet/rain. Went up to fox house and it was snowing then snowing heavily. Didn't have a very long walk and in a matter of minutes the roads were covered.

Anyway it seems we're getting some unforecast showers and possibly a streamer. This should fall as snow for us and rain/sleet lower ground. I suspect roads over the top will be closed.

Correction sleeting here sot he Snow line is higher than I thought.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Had a heavy shower for pass 40min, About 1cm to 2cm added to the top of the shower we had last night

Chris

Posted

Well milder air has again allowed too turn some of the snow to sleet/rain. Went up to fox house and it was snowing then snowing heavily. Didn't have a very long walk and in a matter of minutes the roads were covered.

Anyway it seems we're getting some unforecast showers and possibly a streamer. This should fall as snow for us and rain/sleet lower ground. I suspect roads over the top will be closed.

Correction sleeting here sot he Snow line is higher than I thought.

Yep,

Snow will become very marginal for many lower areas after 12 this afternoon. Were picking up a modified wind off the N sea, and there's an embedded warm sector in the trough, which is pushing dew points up rapidly.

From having a dew of -3 about 1 hour ago, i now have a temp of 2.2c with a dew of -0.2

It will become less marginal around 6pm this evening.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Yep,

Snow will become very marginal for many lower areas after 12 this afternoon. Were picking up a modified wind off the N sea, and there's an embedded warm sector in the trough, which is pushing dew points up rapidly.

From having a dew of -3 about 1 hour ago, i now have a temp of 2.2c with a dew of -0.2

It will become less marginal around 6pm this evening.

Lewis

morning.Like i just said in sheffield on the lower ground its sleet here.Will the temps be dropping later and turning the sleet to snow..thanks

Posted

morning.Like i just said in sheffield on the lower ground its sleet here.Will the temps be dropping later and turning the sleet to snow..thanks

Dew points have risen to +1 i take it for you? Since my last post the dew has risen too -0.0 now.

The warm sector i think is slightly "smaller" than what the GFS shows. Dew points will be rising about now/12pm and will continue to hover around 1c. At the best, if you can have a dew of 0.3 to 0.4, most likely it will fall as snow.

Temps tonight are expected to drop to around -4 to -6 inland, with areas on the coast hovering just above, or below freezing where there is more in the way of cloud cover as showers continue on the coast.

Dew points will drop back off at around 5-6pm, as we then get rid of the warmer sector and draw in an ENE wind, which will be bitter.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Pathetic really despite having dew points below zero it still manages to sleet. Amazing despite being a fairly notable cold spell how often it's failing to deliver as well.

The also shower fizzled out removing even more of what remaining snow we've got.

Posted

Dew Point on the rise now, currently 0.5c. hopefully if it can come down with a bit of intensity it should stay mostly as snow. Hopefully it doesn't melt my current covering :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Strange because we had dry light snow last night night plus ice and today we got rain and sleet.???.oh well warm sectors are a pain. :cold:

Pathetic really despite having dew points below zero it still manages to sleet. Amazing despite being a fairly notable cold spell how often it's failing to deliver as well.

The also shower fizzled out removing even more of what remaining snow we've got.

Was just going to post that pal,non event so far here.Dry as a board yesterday and freezing then we get the precipitation and it turns warmer and rainy.???? :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Rather disappointed last night as the North York Moors ate all the showers before they reached york, just hoping today isnt another let down and that band of snow heads right over me from the north sea, anyone have any idea what time that will come inland? thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Snowing almost continuously since 0940 here, occasionally heavily. About 2-2.5cm of fresh snow so far and more upwind by the look of it.

The dewpoint here must be lower than on Tuesday/Wednesday as on that occasion, with a similar dry bulb temp', we had hours of wet snow which barely accumulated whereas today it was transformed into a christmas card scene within 10 minutes.

Posted

It's still freezing here, and hopefully the temp won't rise much during the afternoon.

Hopefully a bit more snow tonight.

Posted

just woke up to RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and its washed quite a bit of all the snow :(:wallbash::wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Temp here now 0.6°C with a healthy DP of -2.5°C, however, the temp has been rising rapidly over the last couple of hours: am hoping the rise will stop soon otherwise last night's dusting wll disappear even before Mr Robinson's name!

I am watching that band in the N Sea (yes, it is still there) and hoping it will get here and coincide with good temps and DP. Here's hoping....