Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

How are the showers looking tonight, at the moment thet seem quite small for our area. Will they beef up like the ones further north? Raintoday isn't that clear.

It seems like the showers are slowly coming our way, so things could get interesting in the early hours.

Posted

I have had a couple of light flurries, seems to be some little showers forming east of us, just follow the pattern from whats happen up north on the metoffice radar:

http://www.metoffice...adar/index.html

go back from 5pm on it right until now, keep your eye on the showers over Newcastle and Scotland, see how they start forming further south each time? and intensify, looking like that's happening here now.

Lewis

Thats quite interesting, thanks for pointing that out. Hope to wake to another covering - a dusting will do for now.

Posted

We have 4cm from todays snow. Mainly from this evening but nearly a cm managed to stick from this mornings efforts.

post-1042-12624755077513_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624755370013_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624755912513_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624756275213_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624756545513_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624756836513_thumb.jpg

Posted

Evening all,

Just chatting with Storm Force Lewis on MSN (cant access the site) hes saying we could get amounts of up to 50cm by Saturday!

Rob

Posted

Evening all,

Just chatting with Storm Force Lewis on MSN (cant access the site) hes saying we could get amounts of up to 50cm by Saturday!

Rob

Wow that sounds a hell of a lot, the most I have ever seen was 30cm back in December 1997!! Hope to see the 50cm hes predicting

Posted

Heres some pics from yesterday on a New Years Day walk at Ringinglow and Fox house in the extreme south west of Sheffield. Very Icy with hard frozen snow and temps of -2oc

post-1042-12624761814313_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624762264813_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624762873713_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624763274913_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624763630613_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624764305413_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12624764688713_thumb.jpg

Posted

Currently having a light snow shower here, the first of many I hope. Has the warm sector gone through now?

You could easily see a light covering tonight mate :whistling:

Posted

i cant believe how the gfs keeps that setup easily again! only got a dusting here

Posted

Just looked out of the window for the first time in around 3 hours. The ground was absolutley soaked form the sleet, but now it is either bone dry or covered with ice. Believe me this was a complete suprise!! Any snow should now settle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It would be very unusual for the local schools to close because of snow. I guess this week will hopefully result in this.

When I was 10yrs old in January 1987 and living in Humberston and attending Humberston Comprehensive School we had a full week off school due to the 1 1/2 - 2 foot of snow that was dumped on Grimsby and the Villages. That was a very memorable experience of sledging nearly every day. I always remember that we kept the blue sledge in the garage after that winter - perhaps nearly 25 years later it was still in the garage all that time - eventually we got 2cms of snow so I dug it out and could push my nieces around on it (by that time I was hitting late 20s).

LOL damn that makes me feel old I am only 33. :shok:

Edit: When the roads got better that January, we took a drive out to East Ravendale. At that time it was a popular destination for sledging down the rolling hills there. Also there was no fence separating the hills form the roads - I bet nowadays there will be a fence up and everything for some pathetic 'health and safety' reason.

Edited by rikki

Posted

Just started to snow again here :shok:

Looking at the radar i wouldn't be surprised if i catch a few showers in the next hour.

Things are looking much more interesting now IMO.

Posted

Looking at the radar i wouldn't be surprised if i catch a few showers in the next hour.

I hope they become more widespread and push inland soon, because in the next hour or two (maybe a little longer) we will start to see a rise in pressure by around 5-6mb.

Lewis

Posted

Anyone else got fond childhood memories of 1987?

Posted

When I was 10yrs old in January 1987 and living in Humberston and attending Humberston Comprehensive School we had a full week off school due to the 1 1/2 - 2 foot of snow that was dumped on Grimsby and the Villages. That was a very memorable experience of sledging nearly every day. I always remember that we kept the blue sledge in the garage after that winter - perhaps nearly 25 years later it was still in the garage all that time - eventually we got 2cms of snow so I dug it out and could push my nieces around on it (by that time I was hitting late 20s).

LOL damn that makes me feel old I am only 33. whistling.gif

Edit: When the roads got better that January, we took a drive out to East Ravendale. At that time it was a popular destination for sledging down the rolling hills there. Also there was no fence separating the hills form the roads - I bet nowadays there will be a fence up and everything for some pathetic 'health and safety' reason.

Wow that sounds fantastic wish id seen it. i cant really remember jan 87, i was 6 at the time, i do remember a huge icicles that measured over a foot from my bedroom window

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Yeah, I was in my last year at Grammar School in the Lincolnshire Wolds in 1987, and we had about 10 days off school that January because of the weather conditions. Our school catchment included villages as far as ten miles away, so a large proportion of the villages were cut off, so they just closed for the best part of a fortnight. The main A16 trunk road was closed for a week by jack-knifed trucks trying to get up Keal Hill (for anyone who knows it) so the village I lived in was cut off for a week. I remember it taking three days of solid work to clear our drive of snow, because we had a three foot snow drift covering the bottom of it. I went round to my girlfriends house one evening in the next village and got stuck there by an evening blizzard that put down three inches of snow in four hours.

It was, to be honest, the last UK winter of significant note I remember. 1991 was quite interesting by all accounts, but I was doing my Post Grad in the States that winter so wasn't around to experience it.

Posted

I hope they become more widespread and push inland soon, because in the next hour or two (maybe a little longer) we will start to see a rise in pressure by around 5-6mb.

Lewis

I'll give it another hour mate and see how things are shaping up :)

Posted

Evening all,

Rob

I doubt it, Lewis is always a bit OTT on the snow depths predictions.

Posted

It didn't really amount to much mate. The cloud is quite sparse at present.

Will return your pm tomorrow, if that's OK :)

Posted

It didn't really amount to much mate. The cloud is quite sparse at present.

Will return your pm tomorrow, if that's OK :)

Yeah no probs mate.The roads are lethel after the earlier snow has melted, and the cars are traveling at snails pace :)

Posted

Snowing here, think it's heading your way SUFC, btw whats your real name :) I never ever asked after knowing you for years lol.

WOW coming down very hard here, with some graupel thrown in, everything white on the front, road and paths grass etc.

lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Just Before Dawn, yeah I distinctly remember that being a two-week affair. Exceptional winter which dwarfs anything that followed. I often read that 1993 was a good year for snow - I don't remember that being the case in Grimsby. I am certain there was snowfall that year, but I think it must have been too marginal in coastal locations because nothing stands out.

Edited by rikki

Posted

Snowing here, think it's heading your way SUFC, btw whats your real name :) I never ever asked after knowing you for years lol.

WOW coming down very hard here, with some graupel thrown in, everything white on the front, road and paths grass etc.

lewis

Call me shaun :drinks: Yeah the radar is looking more interesting, so im sticking around for a little while longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Yes.

It was either 87 or 91 where further up our street, between our friend's house and next door's there was a mammoth icicle hanging from between the gutter join. Very, very eery and easily one to impale someone with, should it fall.

It was around 3 foot long. Classic cone shaped icicle. We do have a picture but they are very much hidden by clutter and suspect i'll not be able to get to them for a long time.

Other memories are of the snow hanging from roofs, having to stomp rather than walk because I was only 7 in the 87 cold spell and walking was hard!!!

Was the winter that gave me a right shock one night. We had plastic guttering which was pulled off in 87 and just hung there to give me a fright the following morning...as the scary scrap-thud-BANG noises weren't enough for my young mind to cope with...

I thought it was 1991 but it was the 87 cold spell.

You never know, I might be able to dig out the pics but I will need the house to myself for a long time so I can put things back without them knowing. I now wish I kept them when I found them in the early 00's.