Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Whats the exact temp here currently mate?

0.8 & -0.5 DP

Posted

Cheers for that. With the skies clearing it should be below freezing pretty soon :)

With a little lady luck, maybe an hour or two before the skies properly clear, should get colder well into the early hours as the wind drops :) .

Posted

snowing very heavy here for the last 30mins and covering nicely in crofton just outside of wakefield.

Posted

amazingly its still snowing here but wont settle still got snow down from last night so ok

Posted

8 miles away and all we have is sleet too. Very disappointing. Dew Points obviously too high along the coast - we'll need to watch that going into next week, at least according into the 12z GFS output.

Where do you see this on the GFS? I checked and its 0 to -3 dews all the way, no warm sectors..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Well, what can you say. I don't want to sound overly bullish, but just walked back from a couple of very enjoyable hours in the pub and it's a snowy wonderland !!! Having had a few pints I'll admit to 'foot skiing' down the main road through the village, and jumping in drifts, and generally messing about in the snow. It just feels like there's snow everywhere, on the roads, drifting, plastered up walls and against windows, weighing down the bushes and trees - basically fantastic !!! If this is a fore-taste of whats to come then all I can say is bring it on !!!

Posted

Well, what can you say. I don't want to sound overly bullish, but just walked back from a couple of very enjoyable hours in the pub and it's a snowy wonderland !!! Having had a few pints I'll admit to 'foot skiing' down the main road through the village, and jumping in drifts, and generally messing about in the snow. It just feels like there's snow everywhere, on the roads, drifting, plastered up walls and against windows, weighing down the bushes and trees - basically fantastic !!! If this is a fore-taste of whats to come then all I can say is bring it on !!!

I love it, Martin :p It would be waste of all this lovely snow if we didn't play in it.

I wish you'd taken some video footage :)

Posted

I love it, Martin :lol: It would be waste of all this lovely snow if we didn't play in it.

I wish you'd taken some video footage :)

Cheers Brian, plenty of time for videos with any luck !!! Fingers crossed this really is the 'big one' we've all been waiting for, I'm certainly raising a glass to the possibility tonight :lol: Happy New Year !!!

Posted

Cheers Brian, plenty of time for videos with any luck !!! Fingers crossed this really is the 'big one' we've all been waiting for, I'm certainly raising a glass to the possibility tonight :lol: Happy New Year !!!

im off out this Wednesday and its a tenner for unlimited drink! so be prepared for a funny message if i make it on the computer :lol:

update- its snowing moderately :)

Edited by Craigers

Posted

Yup looking good down here too Pennine, I'll be up your way tomorrow snapping away again, the quarry should have some very deep snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I was hoping to see the back of the kids for the daytimes next week (back to school) but if today's 'dusting' is a foretaste they'll be home by Tues p.m. for the duration!

I thought we did well last year but after this mornings dump and then this tea time's plastering ,and then the Meto's warning for tues/weds (and then thurs/fri when they're up), I'm starting to wonder.

I've been over here 15yrs and only seen better snow when I was further up on the ridge/moorline.

Is it P.C. to go sleding without the kids???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Where do you see this on the GFS? I checked and its 0 to -3 dews all the way, no warm sectors..

GFS 12z output Dewpoint maps showed the 0-1C flirting with the east coast through much of Monday until early Tuesday am, from which point it's much better. As the 18z GFS output is now coming up, we'll see if that's different.

Posted

TBH i find the snow boring when there aren't any hills about anyway, The Pennine moors now are literally white with no vegetation visible at all....They really do look stunning and are well worth the trip over to see.

Posted

GFS 12z output Dewpoint maps showed the 0-1C flirting with the east coast through much of Monday until early Tuesday am, from which point it's much better. As the 18z GFS output is now coming up, we'll see if that's different.

yeah it's there again on the latest 18z, don't make sense tbh, it's not exactly a warm sector, and there's no reason why dews would rise. Only thing i can think of is it's due to the change in flow.

lewis

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well a good fall of snow estimate around 2cm I ain't going to measure. Okay by 80's standards a mere dusting by 90's 2000's a huge drop of snow. Shows how bad recent winters have been.

Posted

Yup looking good down here too Pennine, I'll be up your way tomorrow snapping away again, the quarry should have some very deep snow.

Just at present it's positively fandabidosy !!! We're slowly disappearing under a blanket of snow !!! I know it'll stop soon, but after a few beers it's hard to stop getting excited, and when it comes to mixing snow and beer I've got no self control !!!

I was hoping to see the back of the kids for the daytimes next week (back to school) but if today's 'dusting' is a foretaste they'll be home by Tues p.m. for the duration!

I thought we did well last year but after this mornings dump and then this tea time's plastering ,and then the Meto's warning for tues/weds (and then thurs/fri when they're up), I'm starting to wonder.

I've been over here 15yrs and only seen better snow when I was further up on the ridge/moorline.

Is it P.C. to go sleding without the kids???

It's just brilliant isn't it !!! In terms of depth of drifts Feb 2005 is still winning, but in terms of overall coverage, and as the Xmas carol says 'snow on snow on snow, deep and crisp and even', this is already winning, and with any luck this is just the start !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Ah well the trough is dead although it still shows on the radar it ain't doing anything here much. Won't get much further south now unless it recharges somehow.

Posted

18z is a super upgrade, it has upgraded the strength of the flow/wind, and the precipitation on tuesday and also wednesday.

Marginal at a time during Monday, but after that we kick the warm sectors away.

lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Just at present it's positively fandabidosy !!! We're slowly disappearing under a blanket of snow !!! I know it'll stop soon, but after a few beers it's hard to stop getting excited, and when it comes to mixing snow and beer I've got no self control !!!

It's just brilliant isn't it !!! In terms of depth of drifts Feb 2005 is still winning, but in terms of overall coverage, and as the Xmas carol says 'snow on snow on snow, deep and crisp and even', this is already winning, and with any luck this is just the start !!!

It's just the length of the cold/snowy spell so far.

We hadn't shifted the first falls from our road before this next lot came in to 'recharge' it!

If we have another 5 days of showers to come (and that nasty low running up through Germany and across the North sea to follow on) I daren't think in terms of possible depths but we will have snow on the ground for a month at least.

Maybe my lass will start to believe last years dumps now (she was off around the world whilst we all froze!!!).

Shovel at the ready .... I wish our freezer was full!!!

D-B, I'll just tell 'em I'm preparing the 'run' for the little 'uns!blum.gifbiggrin.gif

Posted

It's stopping now, but I think I can live with that !!! Outside it looks like someone has draped a giant white duvet over everything, all the old discoloured and dirty snow from previous attempts at clearing have all disappeared and been rendered pointless, the scruffed and footstep spoiled laying snow has been pristinely cleansed, it's now how it should be, a gently undulating blanket of undisturbed white - smashing !!!

(is it obvious I've had a few pints ???)

Posted

Very disappointed with tonights very wet snow we had here, I was hoping for at least a covering. Add to that the dusting from last night was washed away!! It would seem we were just too warm here on the coast this time. I ahve friends in and around the Wakefield area, how have they done, does anyone know?