Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I can confirm almost blizzard conditions, massive flakes, OVER A FOOT on the grass. No school for a week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

theres no traffic on the roads here, it's stopped snowing now really, however there are tonnes of people in Tesco waiting for me :(

Posted

anyone comment on the showers across scotland.

The ones showing across the Cairngorms and Grampians? I'd be surprised to see them make it across the border. There are some over Lothian which could head our way judging by the wind directions, and the Met Office rainfall prediction thingymajig suggests some for overnight.

Posted

I can confirm almost blizzard conditions, massive flakes, OVER A FOOT on the grass. No school for a week?

You need an average wind speed of 30mph to classify anything as a blizzard, so technically, you're probably not close to blizzard conditions. Heavy snow no doubt though.

Posted

Just got back in, only really light snowfall since about 11 o'clock this morning, but still a few flakes about. Fortunately the landy has made short work of treated and untreated roads alike, which is more than can be said for some vehicles on the roads. It seems to have been a pretty wet sort of snow, as all of the treated roads are clear, unfortunately they are now rather wet which could be a major hazard once sky's clear and the temperature drops. The bulk of our clients have made it into work today except for the teachers who are all having extra holidays poor little darlings I expect they will be off all week.

Posted

been snowing now for around 3 and half hours. and we have just entered a very heavy area of snow. 90% of the snow thats been continous its been extremely heavy snow just bucketing it down, snow flakes bigger than 50p. That snow thats pepped over over n manchester is on a direct collision course with here (looks like macnhester is now acting as the goodwill guide like we did last night. I can't believe how much snow we have had in such a very short period of time. Looking at the snowband and its direction, we'll be hit by that second heavy snow area in about an hour. There is still a good couple of hours left in this, its just not letting up at all. 7inches from just this 3 and a half fall and 2inches from this morning...with the potential to grab another couple inches before it finishes..this is seriously heavy snow here. The heaviest precip is now pretty much a narrow band across the mersey into north wales bypassing the wirral. <_<:cold:

All this stuff that went east last night bypassing us, is returning in force. :) The band of snow is now considerbly narrower than it was, but the heavier snow that pepped up over manchester as just made the snow footprint just that tiny bit bigger

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

been snowing now for around 3 and half hours. and we have just entered a very heavy area of snow. 90% of the snow thats been continous its been extremely heavy snow just bucketing it down, snow flakes bigger than 50p. That snow thats pepped over over n manchester is on a direction collision course with here. I can't believe how much snow we have had in such a very short period of time. Looking at the snowband and its direction, we'll be hit by that second heavy snow area in about an hour. There is still a good couple of hours left in this, its just not letting up at all. 7inches from just this 3 and a half fall and 2inches from this morning...with the potential to grab another couple inches before it finishes..this is seriously heavy snow here. The heaviest precip is now pretty much a narrow band across the mersey into north wales bypassing the wirral. :wallbash::nonono:

Only 7 inches?!

It's well over a foot on the grass here! 0.0c!

Posted

Only 7 inches?!

It's well over a foot on the grass here! 0.0c!

I am not counting the grass or the fields around here but it would probably be just as much if not more than what we have on the ground. It's probably about the same depth as yours. (only assuming this by the way) we have some drifting which is about a foot and a half..but that doesnt count.

You had 4 inches of snow this morning and another 8 this afternoon for your foot on the grass. I have had 7in today+ 2 lying on the ground and pretty much another 2/3inc from this current heavy snow and the next heavy batch in about an hour..in the mean time I wouldnt be surprised to see several more CM's fall between now and the end of this batch and the next heavy batch..non stop snow at the moment :)

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I am not counting the grass or the fields around here but it would probably be just as much if not more than what we have on the ground. It's probably about the same depth as yours.

True. Im not been greedy but when is this next band coming in? :)

I'd rather it stay soft than freeze tonight.

Posted

It's snowing here again (!) but it must be on its last leg...

The southern edge of the band is intensifying so Cheshire and Staffordshire should have fun!

Karyo

Posted

True. Im not been greedy but when is this next band coming in? :lol:

I'd rather it stay soft than freeze tonight.

dont you have falling snow now? there is a very heavy snow over me..if you dont then its because it a very narrow band ..however that said there should still be plenty of snow around..especially according to the Nwx radar?

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Looking at this:-

Link

Does the convective cloud to the right of Newcastle (ENE?) seem to be really intesifying?

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted

Is that a small PL in the north sea around middsbro (not good with geography). its got some rotation on it.

as the cloud goes over the top of the feature you can still cleary see what ever it is, is still rotating..blink and you will miss it.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Someone on the midlands thread has said the snow in Liverpoo/cheshire will still be falling in the morningwhistling.gif

Midlands thread well gutted even stoke has only reported flurries

C.S

Posted

dont you have falling snow now? there is a very heavy snow over me..if you dont then its because it a very narrow band ..however that said there should still be plenty of snow around..especially according to the Nwx radar?

Yes it's still snowing.

It's getting too much though, 8 days of gas left, and theres no milk or bread in the area.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-2.6c

DP -5c

expect it to feel absolutely bitter when the ne wind picks up, very penetrating.

but need more snow!!! the showers keep getting stuck over on the ne

Posted

Someone on the midlands thread has said the snow in Liverpoo/cheshire will still be falling in the morningwhistling.gif

Midlands thread well gutted even stoke has only reported flurries

C.S

seems to be a lot creeping up from birmingham , to busy watching the NE are we missing this?? what do you think C.S

Posted

Right, come on folks, you've had your fun! I've been sitting at work all day just watching the band of snow on the radar just sitting there & refusing to move South. We did get about 3cm this morning, which hasn't thawed.

It's time now to let it move South...pretty please :drinks: