Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

all quiet on the eastern front - skies still look pretty full - any news from the radar about fresh falls at the Eastern flank of the region?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

The talk of the system moving back north even with northerly winds? If in the unlikely event it does its not going to reach this north is it?

look at http://www.sat24.com

the systems seems to be pushing north!!! please tell me i havent read it wrong! if thats the case then ACE!!!

Edited by crashlanding

Posted

Snowing heavy again, looks like it is set in for the night. :D

What's the odds of it turning to rain??

turning to rain? lol

yes there is more snow to come for a while possibly even the night when you look at the amount of cloud out there..and the stuff from around the midlands smacking into manchester keeping the rejuvenation going (its been doing that for much of the afternoon)...you never know :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

System looks to be moving west to me.

Posted

I have got to say I would be pleasantly be surprised if I saw snowfall tonight. Looks better for south of the region. But I do have to say I have got an orange looking sky overhead.

Been a fantastic day for me. Snowed constantly from 6am till 2pm this afternoon fantastic stuff.

Edited by NW_Blackburn

Posted

the systems seems to be pushing north!!! please tell me i havent read it wrong! if thats the case then ACE!!!

It's circulation of the low! It's moving slowly south. Edited by Solar Cycles

Posted

The warmer air to the south is still pushing north at around 500hpa level. In effect the whole system is still pushing S but the northern flank is being rejuvenated by the moisture being carried by the airmass pushing N. It is unlikely that the system will actually move north again, just that the band now over Merseyside and North Wales may hang around longer than was expected earlier.

Posted

Been a memorable day, we had about 7-8 inches mid morn but it has just kept coming all day, there is nearly a foot in some places now, it's easing a little

I think they didn't expect the front to pivot as much hence the length of the spell

Roll on Thurs showers

Posted

Thanks wysiwg you confirmed what was i thinking trying to explain misrably :unsure:

I am hopeful the rejuv will last quite well into the night or possibly all night.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Some cracking scenery in the countryside around Dunham Massey, never seen such a dump of sknow in those parts...

Posted

erm,dont like the sound of warmer air pushing NORTH!!!

I thought the skies would clear and it freezes???

warm air will meet cold air and the the snow over my region and merseyside should hang around a lot longer providing us with yet more snow..i wont say no coz there is a huge chunk of cloud out there with at least another couple of hours in it at the least...then look to the humber even more showers heading for us with more rapidity than before :(

Posted

warm air will meet cold air and the the snow over my region and merseyside should hang around a lot longer providing us with yet more snow..i wont say no coz there is a huge chunk of cloud out there with at least another couple of hours in it at the least...then look to the humber even more showers heading for us with more rapidity than before :hi:

I just hope them showers have enough energy to get over the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-3c

DP -5.5c

the showers over scotland and NE england have penetrated further inland now, and are not hugging the coast like they have been all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Just a few pics from earlier. I'm kicking myself as I forgot to take my camera yesterday, when the skies were crystal clear and wonderful deep blue.

These are all taken around Hollingworth lake - the first pic is not of a field behind the branch - it's a lake lol

enjoy

post-8860-12627132629752_thumb.jpgpost-8860-12627135064452_thumb.jpgpost-8860-12627136267252_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Would you guys say that the clouds coming from the north east are gonna hit us?

Bbc suggests bone dry from 8pm

Posted

erm,dont like the sound of warmer air pushing NORTH!!!

I thought the skies would clear and it freezes???

Don't worry HD - as I said that warm air is only tracking north down to about the 500hpa level which give or take is about 5km up in the air. Because it's warm it's being forced over the top of the cooler air coming from the NE. As it rises, it cools and so it sheds some of its moisture! :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Everyone south of me seems to have received a great dumping in the North West. I've had reports of 7 inches in Gatley and 8 inches in Poynton. Preston, Blackpool and the Fylde Coast have had a good amount I've heard as well. Here we had about and inch and a bit, however I'm pleased still pleased with this :o

This has probably been asked countless times, but does anyone have any idea how far West the precipitation in the North Sea and the North-East will get, it does look very potent, I'm just not sure how much energy it has or whether it will skirt East having looked at the Met office radar.

C.L.

Posted

Well we finally had a graupel shower at around half four this afternoon, left a light covering. Can't help but feel really frustrated that it just stayed that fraction too far north, and it was only a fraction. Doesn't help that my parents have been sending me pictures of their 8ft Manchester snowmen!

Oh well, better luck next time. :o Enjoy the snow guys :o

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Would you guys say that the clouds coming from the north east are gonna hit us?

Not too sure - they are not supposed to.

Looking at the track though - they are coming further south - and that low south of me now, seems to be pulling them inland more and more.

Posted

Just a few pics from earlier. I'm kicking myself as I forgot to take my camera yesterday, when the skies were crystal clear and wonderful deep blue.

These are all taken around Hollingworth lake - the first pic is not of a field behind the branch - it's a lake lol

enjoy

Lovely! Really enjoying the photos posted here!