Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I noticed that it can only really come from the NE i would have thought, still anything is possible as this mornings episode proved.

Posted

I've heard reports that Chester has over 10 inches of snow O_o

Can anyone confirm this?

I could believe it, since we've got just around a foot here now!

Posted

Can anyone confirm this?

3 inches here and Chester is 6 miles away so i find that hard to believe but hey anythings possible !

Posted

Can anyone confirm this?

We got easily 10 inches in Wythenshawe so I wouldnt be surprised

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

pity the showers over the ne get sapped of all energy when crossing the high ground, they look so potent yet when they get over here the cloud has all but vanished

-3.7c now

Edited by james12

Posted

Is there actually anychance of them snow showers up north which are near the lakes now getting down here?

Will be interesting to see whether any of the very heavy snow showers currently sat over the NE Pennines will produce any snow here, they could quickly break up as they head over the Pennines, but we are on their direct path.. , if they do, then it bodes well for tomorrow and especially Thursday I feel for this part of Cumbria, I've my fingers crossed.

I'm not sure where munchermark you are located, if to the south of the Lakes then I doubt you would catch any of these showers as they are taking a SW course so they would just filter out into the North Sea.

A note on todays snowfall, as I anticipated we were on the northern flank of the real heavy stuff, we still 2-3 inches which was really nice to see, especially as all the snow from before christmas had just about dissapeared from low ground away from sheltered spots and local fields. Still I can't help but feel a little cheated given the amounts that have fallen in the south of the region and over in West Yorkshire, its not often a front from the north peps up after it has crossed the Lakes - very odd indeed.

As for snow prospects tonight for the region, well it is looking a predominantly dry night, apart from eastern pennine locations which may catch one or two showers and for us up here in the Lakes if those showers make it over the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

-1.0c here, still cloudy though, when it does clear, I imagine -6c is possible because of the extra cooling of the air due to snowcover :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

For easy access to big snow dumps, as well as Buxton, consider Glossop with the path up Cock Hill via Old Glossop probably quite passable. On the same line, Hadfield where you can go on the Longendale Trail almost straight out of the train station (it's the old Woodhead train line). You can easily go across the reservoirs and go up the hills there, I was there just before xmas and it was loaded with the white stuff. The classic destination would be Edale though, with Mam Tor not particularly difficult to go up to. I was on the ridge last sunday and it's wonderful.

Make sure you got proper footwear, now it's not the time to walk around in trainer in the hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

For easy access to big snow dumps, as well as Buxton, consider Glossop with the path up Cock Hill via Old Glossop probably quite passable. On the same line, Hadfield where you can go on the Longendale Trail almost straight out of the train station (it's the old Woodhead train line). You can easily go across the reservoirs and go up the hills there, I was there just before xmas and it was loaded with the white stuff. The classic destination would be Edale though, with Mam Tor not particularly difficult to go up to. I was on the ridge last sunday and it's wonderful.

Make sure you got proper footwear, now it's not the time to walk around in trainer in the hills.

Or you can just come to Runcorn?

Nice to see icicles! Never seen those around here before. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

looks like a shower is penetrating eastern cumbria heading SW, may hit south lakes before heading into the irish sea,

very heavy band of snow in se scotland a right pasting up there tonight, we need a stronger ne wind to pick up...

Posted

3 inches here and Chester is 6 miles away so i find that hard to believe but hey anythings possible !

Just checked with sister in law in Chester who said she just had a few inches of snow from 3 pm to 7 pm-ish. I was then able to brag that we had LOADS of the stuff! :lol:

Posted

Just checked with sister in law in Chester who said she just had a few inches of snow from 3 pm to 7 pm-ish. I was then able to brag that we had LOADS of the stuff! laugh.gif

Nice one Liver........because it's an effing wonderland here....and now it's freezing goodstyle

Posted

Still snowing lightly and up to an inch and a half covering of the nice crunchy stuff. I had to step outside just to hear the crunch, lol! So after a very late start I'm pleased we've finally joined in the fun :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Well it looks like some form of shower has made it over, there are reports of snow in Holme now.

C.L.

Posted

Cumbria should be affected by the streamer from the north sea. Already the first shower is penetrating the county:http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

As for me, I would prefer to see the skies clear and allow the temperature to plumet. The lower it goes tonight, the less thaw we'll see tomorrow!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Roads are already sheet ice, with a temp of -2c and it slowly decreasing any more snow would be lethal. But it would be good though!:)

Posted

Roads are already sheet ice, with a temp of -2c and it slowly decreasing any more snow would be lethal. But it would be good though!:cold:

I am just cloud watching now, hoping it clears and the temperature will plummet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Cumbria should be affected by the streamer from the north sea. Already the first shower is penetrating the county:http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

As for me, I would prefer to see the skies clear and allow the temperature to plumet. The lower it goes tonight, the less thaw we'll see tomorrow!

Karyo

Can't see there being a thaw at all this side of next week , temps are forecast to stay at 0c or below during the whole period

Posted

Karyo

Yep - just had half an hour's worth of snow, and the showers over the Borders look to be heading my way. Whether there'll be anything left in them, only time will tell.

Posted

Busy typing away and wasn't looking out the window, and yes we have a real heavy shower covering all roads white again - its lovely watching the snow. Probably get an inch out of this at least..

This bodes exceptionally well I feel for this part of Cumbria tomorrow and thursday with further heavy showers forecast for the NE such showers are likely to transfer this way - the Pennines are not going to act as a shield I feel. Great stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Busy typing away and wasn't looking out the window, and yes we have a real heavy shower covering all roads white again - its lovely watching the snow. Probably get an inch out of this at least..

This bodes exceptionally well I feel for this part of Cumbria tomorrow and thursday with further heavy showers forecast for the NE such showers are likely to transfer this way - the Pennines are not going to act as a shield I feel. Great stuff.

That's good news damian - might even get some more here, but I reckon your snow is on its way out to the Irish Sea. Must look great watching snow falling onto already snowy/forzen surfaces.