Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Don't worry HD - as I said that warm air is only tracking north down to about the 500hpa level which give or take is about 5km up in the air. Because it's warm it's being forced over the top of the cooler air coming from the NE. As it rises, it cools and so it sheds some of its moisture! :drinks:

thanks for that mate makes me feel better!

what are the 850's like at the moment? around -6 ?

:D

Posted

Everyone south of me seems to have received a great dumping in the North West. I've had reports of 7 inches in Gatley and 8 inches in Poynton. Preston, Blackpool and the Fylde Coast have had a good amount I've heard as well. Here we had about and inch and a bit, however I'm pleased still pleased with this smile.gif

This has probably been asked countless times, but does anyone have any idea how far West the precipitation in the North Sea and the North-East will get, it does look very potent, I'm just not sure how much energy it has or whether it will skirt East having looked at the Met office radar.

C.L.

Consensus seems it wont, certanly not for me and you on the west coast....dont think we have anything due for days.....im hoping someone will jump in and correct me but dont think so

Posted

Well we finally had a graupel shower at around half four this afternoon, left a light covering. Can't help but feel really frustrated that it just stayed that fraction too far north, and it was only a fraction. Doesn't help that my parents have been sending me pictures of their 8ft Manchester snowmen!

Oh well, better luck next time. :drinks: Enjoy the snow guys :D

You might still catch some more yet - the system is very slow moving and the band over M/side just now will creep slowly south. Only issue for your area is how much snow is left in it.

thanks for that mate makes me feel better!

what are the 850's like at the moment? around -6 ?

:)

Nearer -7 according to the radar overlay - it's going to get pretty cold tonight I think - the bits of slush close to buildings and on the well trodden areas here were already frozen an hour ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I don;t know who else has checked the school closures for tomorrow- but certainly the oldham/rochdale area seems to be hit very hard - a lot of parents could save themselves the heartache of an early rise by checking tonight smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Consensus seems it wont, certanly not for me and you on the west coast....dont think we have anything due for days.....im hoping someone will jump in and correct me but dont think so

Hmmm that does appear to be the broad opinion, thanks for your reply. I'll keep monitoring it just in case they get inland. Either way we will have some cold crisp weather to enjoy at some point in the next couple of days. As the snow freezes over ice will make things even more awkward for many.

C.L.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

I'm not so sure - all depends on wind the more north-east rather than east the better. Currently nne and edging in the right direction, but as some have said, how far west will be down to the fun of nowcasting. Each net-w 5 min radar change shows it edging this way...

Posted

Hmmm that does appear to be the broad opinion, thanks for your reply. I'll keep monitoring it just in case they get inland. Either way we will have some cold crisp weather to enjoy at some point in the next couple of days. As the snow freezes over ice will make things even more awkward for many.

C.L.

I think it will clear and freeze over the next couple of hours over most of the region, I think we could have some surprises in the next few days though.

Posted

I'm not so sure - all depends on wind the more north-east rather than east the better. Currently nne and edging in the right direction, but as some have said, how far west will be down to the fun of nowcasting. Each net-w 5 min radar change shows it edging this way...

I hope you are right ...in fact I when I wrote that I was hoping someone would tell me such set ups often see showers pushing this far west.......unfortunatly I think its a bit of wishful thinking

Posted

Yeah - according to the 12Z fax there was some organised troughing associated with those active areas of precip to our NE. Trouble is I'm not really convinced that the current 12Z analysis was spot on in terms of where the main low went earlier. Those bands are trying their level best to head over here but the Pennines and North Cumbrian uplands may take the worst out of those given that the flow is relatively slack. Here's hoping though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

nw radar shows good inland push of showers must be due to wind shift more east of north, the future radar shows one shower making it over to cumbria

Posted

Yeah - according to the 12Z fax there was some organised troughing associated with those active areas of precip to our NE. Trouble is I'm not really convinced that the current 12Z analysis was spot on in terms of where the main low went earlier. Those bands are trying their level best to head over here but the Pennines and North Cumbrian uplands may take the worst out of those given that the flow is relatively slack. Here's hoping though!

just to contradict myself those out to sea are pretty heavy thats gotta be more than convective

Posted

The North Easterly winds forecast to get a bit stronger in the late/early hours which could push the showers over.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Posted

I don;t know who else has checked the school closures for tomorrow- but certainly the oldham/rochdale area seems to be hit very hard - a lot of parents could save themselves the heartache of an early rise by checking tonight smile.gif

Its simple really, dribble of snow on the ground schools will shut. Chapel-en-le-frith high school was shut on Monday even though snow had not fallen for two days and all the roads were clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

very organised showers getting much further inland, and keeping some intensity must be an organised trough looking good but not getting to excited as may be dissapointed

could the developing low to the south have an influance up here possibly pull the ppn down?

Edited by james12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Precip is here is to stay, no sign of letting up, the snow is very light now, but it all adds up. :cc_confused:

-0.7c under cloudy skies!!

Posted

Its simple really, dribble of snow on the ground schools will shut. Chapel-en-le-frith high school was shut on Monday even though snow had not fallen for two days and all the roads were clear.

My father used to be a teacher at Chapel. In the 70s or 80s they only closed then when the police told them to on the grounds that a lot of the pupils were form outlying areas and woulod be stranded

Posted

We have a covering here now, about 1cm, maybe a little less. The interesting thing is looking at www.raintoday.co.uk - although what's falling isn't heavy, not even moderate, it's a finger of cloud stretching across and being fed by South Manchester, and it's not really sinking Southwards.. or not yet anyway (we're smack in the middle of the dot for Liverpool and the dot for Stoke!). So we may get a couple of centimetres if it manages to stay where it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

My father used to be a teacher at Chapel. In the 70s or 80s they only closed then when the police told them to on the grounds that a lot of the pupils were form outlying areas and woulod be stranded

but in those days, the staff didn't travel the distances they do now

Posted

but in those days, the staff didn't travel the distances they do now

My father always got there, travelling from Alderley Edge each day, that is a fair journey and comparable to those being travelled now, and he was in a reliant robin! I am not very understanding of places grinding to a halt because of snow, I got to work fine this morning, shame no one else could!

Posted

...have a free weekend coming up...dont want the stress of driving but want to find some deepish snow accessable by foot and public transport (providing the whole transport system hasnt collapsed) any reccomendations (there should ber lots of choice) scenic and high but accesable if pos

Posted

Lights beginning to flicker here. Possibly due to lines sagging with the weight of snow/ice on them as evening temps drop. MetO did issue possible power outages (mainly for the south however) up to the Midlands.