Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

...have a free weekend coming up...dont want the stress of driving but want to find some deepish snow accessable by foot and public transport (providing the whole transport system hasnt collapsed) any reccomendations (there should ber lots of choice) scenic and high but accesable if pos

Hi,

Buxton might be a good shout for you , train drops you in the town then you have a 1.5 mile walk up to solomons temple. You will get stunning view from up there.

Just a thought hope you find somewhere.

Kind regards,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Just woke up from an afternoon nap and it seems it's still snowing! amazing! looks like there are another 3 inches! :)

Posted

Hi,

Buxton might be a good shout for you , train drops you in the town then you have a 1.5 mile walk up to solomons temple. You will get stunning view from up there.

Kind regards,

Thats if theres any Trains at all. the Majority of the Buxton-Piccadilly Line Drivers live near Buxton and drive to get to the station, however as the roads have the same amount of snow depth as the pavements now noone is moving anywhere in the Town.

One Friend of mine I was chatting to was calling it a "No-Go" area, as cars simply cant get up the steep inclines, with Buxton being at the bottom of a "bowl-like" valley on all sides.

Today theres been no trains, buses or emergency vehicles going in/out the town at all. A similiar situation in the Hope Valley, Castleton, and I expect many other places.

Posted

Thats if theres any Trains at all. the Majority of the Buxton-Piccadilly Line Drivers live near Buxton and drive to get to the station, however as the roads have the same amount of snow depth as the pavements now noone is moving anywhere in the Town.

One Friend of mine I was chatting to was calling it a "No-Go" area, as cars simply cant get up the steep inclines, with Buxton being at the bottom of a "bowl-like" valley on all sides.

Today theres been no trains, buses or emergency vehicles going in/out the town at all. A similiar situation in the Hope Valley, Castleton, and I expect many other places.

for good snow I would think a walk up to MAcclesfield Forest would be good, lots of deep snow but easily got to.

Posted

On the coast -1c , 9cm of snow :):):):)

On a serious note, any slush that was on the roads has frozen solid already and it is causing very dangerous roads.

I've just opted for leaving the car parked where it is and snow balling with the kids instead.

Posted

but in those days, the staff didn't travel the distances they do now

Sorry do you have any proof to back up that statement, besides its really simple, not all teachers will make it in and not all pupils will either, but that’s no reason why school should not be open for those that can get in. Yes classes may have to be re-jigged and this is what happened when I was at school in the 60s and 70s, even in rural areas, I know because I went to school in a rural area and despite some pretty mega falls, we were never sent home. Hospitals don't close because staff can’t make it in and they are just as likely to live a long way from work, as do many others in all sorts of work areas. Plus we have a problem with children being sent home to a possibly unsupervised environment. Given the way this winter is shaping up sending children home just because of snow on the ground or small amounts falling for the sky is likely to lead to an awful amount of lost days.

On this note its rather curious that one of our clients who works at a school in Manchester 20+miles away managed to get to work on Monday with no problems, yet the local school was closed. We work for ourselves we live in a rural area yet we have got a round to all our customers all of whom managed to get to work except the teachers. Without doubt this has nothing to do with travel distance or heath and safety and everything to do with a work culture.

Posted

...have a free weekend coming up...dont want the stress of driving but want to find some deepish snow accessable by foot and public transport (providing the whole transport system hasnt collapsed) any reccomendations (there should ber lots of choice) scenic and high but accesable if pos

Given that you're in Preston I would have a look up Beacon Fell. Maybe get a bus to Chipping? Not sure as don't use public transport. Or you could head for the Anglezarke/Rivington area. Winter Hill has had snow on it's summit since 17 December so it should be pretty good up that way now. Maybe a bus or train to Horwich? Again please excuse my ignorance of public transport.

BTW: 1,612 users - last night's record SMASHED!!! :lol:

Posted

[quote name=keviwal' date='05 January 2010 - 18:56 ' timestamp='1262717806'

post='1705943]

Hi,

Buxton might be a good shout for yu , train drops you in the town then you have a 1.5 mile walk up to solomons temple. You will get stunning view from up there.

Kind regards,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well well, for all my moaning earlier, got a good few cm of snow here tonight to keep me company :whistling:

Aaron

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Well well, for all my moaning earlier, got a good few cm of snow here tonight to keep me company :whistling:

Aaron

Hehe same here! We've got an inch so far but judging by 'raintoday' it looks like the south mcr feed we were getting is nearing an end. The little ones will be very happy in the morning now :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned recently, but I think some in th NW could get some more snow tonight. There's so much intensifying to the north and north-east of us, some of it surely must make it to at least eastern/central areas of the NW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

North East could possibly deliever us some wintry tonight?

Great minds think alike wirral!! :)

Posted

Given that you're in Preston I wouldhave a look up Beacon Fell. Maybe get a bus to Chipping? Not sure as don't use public transport. Or you could head for the Anglezarke/Rivington area. Winter Hill has had snow on it's summit since 17 December so it should be pretty good up that way now. Maybe a bus or train to Horwich? Again please excuse my ignorance of public transport.

BTW: 1,612 users - last night's record SMASHED!!! :drinks:

Thanks winter hill sounds good option beacon fell to close to home i do lots of work in that area

Posted

Great minds think alike wirral!! :drinks:

the BBC weather did show some sligth precipitation in the region in the early hours but did not mention it because there is snow in the south now, wouldn't take much for it to become a bit stronger and worthy of mention though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I mis-judged the foot I said before.

The snow is 8 and a half inches on the grass (almost up to my knees)

and around 5 inches on the path. :wallbash:

Posted

I mis-judged the foot I said before.

The snow is 8 and a half inches on the grass (almost up to my knees)

and around 5 inches on the path. :acute:

Huh? 8 inch almost up to your knees lol? How small are you? My friend in Runcorn says it's about 6" deep....

Posted

Sorry if this has already been mentioned recently, but I think some in th NW could get some more snow tonight. There's so much intensifying to the north and north-east of us, some of it surely must make it to at least eastern/central areas of the NW.

Hope your right.....it does look more intense but still not much getting very far west

Posted

An interesting afternoon to say the least.

I left for my lunch break at 1:30pm and had a wander around New Brighton - winter wonderland stuff, I really regret not having had my camera at hand. There were near whiteout conditions along the Mersey due to stronger winds. About 4-5 inches lying in most places.

I then returned to the news that I was being sent home before 3pm (I should have worked late till eight - result!). Went down to Liscard to catch the bus back over to Liverpool before realising that they had all been taken off the road. Major bummer. So I took a gamble and walked 15 minutes to Wallasey Village station - lo and behold a train arrives that very minute!

Walked home from the city centre and took about half an hour to get home - a lot of fun trudging through at least 6 inches of snow, though I also went flying on ice for the first time this winter!

Got back home about fiveish, which is pretty good going considering - it's pure chaos out there this evening. My feet were wet and cold, my hands are still red raw, but I feel fantastic.

Posted

Thanks winter hill sounds good option beacon fell to close to home i do lots of work in that area

I believe there is a direct bus service from Preston to Bolton that stops in Horwich 126 or 127 and then about 1 mile or so to Rivi barn :acute:

Posted

I believe there is a direct bus service from Preston to Bolton that stops in Horwich 126 or 127 and then about 1 mile or so to Rivi barn smile.gif

hi.gif thankyou .....travel info too

Posted

Hope your right.....it does look more intense but still not much getting very far west

I'd love to be wrong but I think the NErly flow is just a bit too slack at the moment. The Pennines are just smashing those showers into nothing right now. I'm hoping that tomorrow when the LP moves out of the way further south and the sun gets to work on the North Sea that we stand a better chance of one or two making the distance over the Pennines. If conditions are good we may see a decent streamer setting up off the NS but the eventual places affected will be a rather hit and miss affair. Either way there will be some beautifully cold, crisp, sunny spells that will make today's lying snow look fantastic.