Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

DS, go here..

http://www.netweathe...tion=nwdc;sess=

click on the 'precipitation type' chart, go to Saturday 1800, and just keep clicking forward to see how long the pink stays over us.

now i know we won't get CONSTANT heavy snow for the whole time, and it's all still a long way off, but the pink is over us( in maesteg and bridgend) from 1800 Saturday, till 0600 on the following Friday, with one break.

next week could be spectacular. COULD be!

even the blizzards of 78 and 82 were only 3 days long.

it's a bit scary to be honest.

Well, if that happens then it could be scary the amount of snow we could get, but would be very interesting and exciting! If it did happen, dont think i would be in school much next week! Still if we get snow on sunday/monday i doubt i will be in school for atleast monday and maybe tuesday. This COULD turn very very interesting, and as you say COULD be spectacular. How accurate is that though? Maybe we could get a foot of snow if it comes off lol although im very doubtful of it, taking it with a pinch of salt. Would love it too though lol. Looking foward to the weekend to see whats gunna happen.

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Could be an interesting week next week, it looks mainly light for us, but quite persistant if it comes off.

Posted

how light do you think it could be? not enough to cause disruption or enough to cause disruption only met office says heavy snow

There will be snow everywhere away well inland the East coasts. 528 dam line may not be over us but it's only a vague guide. Upper air will be very cold, ground temps and dew points very cold and very good thicknesses. No sleet or rain at all.

Posted

Blimey - i've just done that!! Amazing - I won't have any work ALL next week at that rate!

or the following couple of weeks.

don't quote me on that though! :whistling:

now i know we won't get CONSTANT heavy snow for the whole time, and it's all still a long way off, but the pink is over us( in maesteg and bridgend) from 1800 Saturday, till 0600 on the following Friday, with one break.

next week could be spectacular. COULD be!

The snow will probably mainly be light but it will be very persistent. Even if we average just 1cm of snow every 2 hours (2 hours of snow just to get a dusting) on Sunday, over 24 hours that 12cm/5 inches. Looks like on well into Monday too and maybe behond that.

Because we already have snow on the ground and it will be bitterly cold even the lightest snow will accumulate. It could slowly add up to an awful lot of snow hence the Met Office warnings I suspect.

Posted

There will be snow everywhere away well inland the East coasts. 528 dam line may not be over us but it's only a vague guide. Upper air will be very cold, ground temps and dew points very cold and very good thicknesses. No sleet or rain at all.

sounds good to me then ,does the 528 dam line need to be over us to get snow?

Posted

or the following couple of weeks.

don't quote me on that though! :whistling:

Its because I dont have any childcare when the school closes (which it does at the drop of a hat!) No work sounds great but I have to chosse between either no pay or take it out of my holiday allowance. I'll be either skint or will have used up my annual leave by the end of January at this rate!

Posted

one tip i will give you all. what i remember most about the blizzards of 78 and 82 was the snow's uncanny ability to seek out ANY weakness in a building. If you have any holes, or draughts or anything you KNOW about, go get them sealed BEFORE this starts, because once it starts, the snow WILL get in, and you will have your own mini snow drifts, in your attic, garage, wherever it can get in.

one of the worst memories I have of the last blizzard, was me having to go up into the attic to shovel out all the snow up there.(because i was the only one who could fit through the trap door!)

i FROZE! there was LOADS up there too!

so if you do KNOW of any breaches in your defences, get them sorted now.

i'm still hoping this won't happen, but as the charts keep on ticking by, and the same picture stays shown, I'm more and more resigned to it.

The snow will probably mainly be light but it will be very persistent. Even if we average just 1cm of snow every 2 hours (2 hours of snow just to get a dusting) on Sunday, over 24 hours that 12cm/5 inches. Looks like on well into Monday too and maybe behond that.

Because we already have snow on the ground and it will be bitterly cold even the lightest snow will accumulate. It could slowly add up to an awful lot of snow hence the Met Office warnings I suspect.

yes, it'll blow into huge drifts as well.

Posted

dont think i have much to worry about as we dont get much being on the coast we seem to to suffer the wind but im hoping we get a good dusting but cant see it

dont think i have much to worry about as we dont get much being on the coast we seem to to suffer the wind but im hoping we get a good dusting but cant see it

I think you'll be OK, the wind shouldn't coming off the sea so anything you get should be snow.

Posted

I'm near the coast and we reached -8 last night and it's still -2.3c here now. Got to be a record for my location, no postal deliveries since Monday and Schools are closed since we have over an inch of solid ice and snow covering paths and roads.

Posted

No posts in 52 minutes? Jeez, you're missing my irrelevance.

bin worried myself snow coming on the weekend and no one posting whats going on?

Posted

Come on then, let's have your forecasts.

Machynlleth and Aberystwyth areas - what's in store 'snow-wise'?????????

Posted

Sir Gâr what's in terms of snow can we expect, Not a thaw today temp hasn't got above -3 quite something must say.

Posted

bin worried myself snow coming on the weekend and no one posting whats going on?

What we have (despite some rather marginal dewpoints around 0c to -1c) is a warm front - which will always bring the heaviest precipitation out of warm and cold fronts (due to the nature of its formation). This forms and moves north into the M4 corridor, bringing some very heavy precipitation across england and wales, with the heaviest of anything falling just either side of the warm front. The warm front then sits along the M4 for 24-36 hours dumping a hell of a lot of snow across the southern half of the UK

Now i can see why the Met Office are so concerned. We are talking very similar amounts possible to Tuesday nights snowfall, but across a much wider swathe. Obviously at 3-4 days out we have to wait at least another 24-36 hours before we can talk specific details with regards to snow and how much, but its got to have shown fairly consistently in the met office mid range output for them to put it in the FAX charts and have a warning out so early.

The biggest indicator of what happens with their output will be if the warnings for sunday spread any further north or south. The further north this system the more marginal it becomes

Edited by dingdong

Posted

just watched the bbc news and weather ,why doesnt that include the weater for sunday,the sky news does and told us about it yesterday, does the bbc think that it might not come off?

My forecast:

Outbreaks of light snow spreading across Wales early Sunday and into Monday becoming heavier and prolonged at times. Further light snow persisting possibly further into next week. Due to the persistence significant accumulations could occur although some uncertainty about how much.

Most of the heaviest snow towards the South with less in north Wales.

just watched the bbc news and weather ,why doesnt that include the weater for sunday,the sky news does and told us about it yesterday, does the bbc think that it might not come off?

John Hammond said "disruptive snowfall" for southern Britain this morning but didn't go into more detail.

Posted

Maybe these pics will help pass the current quiet time...

Went out for a walk above Brynamman this morning and jeez, it's wild up there!

post-7763-12628758368752_thumb.jpg

post-7763-12628759594152_thumb.jpg

post-7763-12628760954652_thumb.jpg

post-7763-12628761967552_thumb.jpg

post-7763-12628762845552_thumb.jpg

Hope they work!

Posted

I'm taking the warnings seriously - we live on a mountain above ponty and I just managed to get my volvo out today - fair dos mind it doesn't half cope with the snow and ice well - build um well in sweden (I know ford own them and have just sold them to the chinese) - anyway!!!!! - just bought tescos out ready for this prolonged snow - last GFS showed continous snow for about next sunday to thursday - adding to the 6 - 7 inches we've already got I think things could get very scary and I don't fancy knawing on my girlfriends leg - that's for sure - The film "Alive" comes to mind - gotta be honest though all this scenery reminds me of Austria but it's deadly if you're not careful! Be safe people!!!!!!!

Posted

WOW! absolutley stunning you could sell those, sky news said several inches could fall between sun/mon what does that mean in weather terms? 3"? i would be happy with that could get another snow day, ive had more snow days already this year than last!

Posted

WOW! absolutley stunning you could sell those, sky news said several inches could fall between sun/mon what does that mean in weather terms? 3"? i would be happy with that could get another snow day, ive had more snow days already this year than last!

Yeah the brecon beacons behind my hjouse are pretty much the same alot of drifting. Main road cut off over the mountain completely. good 15 inches in places up there. Now that's alot of snow, the drifts alot more.