Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Wow...-5.8c in Southport :cold: Surely last nights low of -7.4 can't be beaten...

Edited by chris93

Posted

I think the winds will need to switch around to a strong easterly before I'll be taking interest of anymore snow for Oldham. The North Eastly is just killed off by the Pennines. Maybe they know something we don't, but I expect they are just playing on the safe side, and thinking we might catch a rogue shower that will just about scrape itself over the Pennines.

The day we got 25+ cm of snow on Tuesday, they had 3 glorious sunny graphics on their 3 day forecast. Take it with a pinch of what we are in desperate need of....rock salt.

Yeah I think the only time we have had a good dumping of snow around here from the east is on a straight easterly. Showers from a north easterly just never reach this far.

It does sound a bit though, from the video forcast on the BBC website, that they know something we don't.

Heres hoping hey :cold:

Edited by SnowKidding

Posted

Dodge, I can confirm it's most likely true. Manchester set for another cold one...Lets beat my -15C!!!!

Cheers, Glen. Wasn't sure if it was correct. Things that appear unbelievable cast doubt lol Going to be another cold one tonight, although when the wind chill picks up over the next few days, we'll really start to feel it more then.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Currently -6.2c here - been going up and down a bit for the last 2 hours - it did this a lot last night - why, when there are no clouds or wind about?

Posted

Tonight: Overnight tonight skies are likely to be clear initially which will allow temperatures to drop very quickly after sunset. Like last night we may well see -10C breached in a number of areas. However, later in the night the temperature fall may be arrested and even partially reversed as a band of cloud tracks westwards across the region. Potential for snow of 5cm in Oldham from 00:00hrs tonight. Wind direction 3-8mph NNE rising to 5-10mph by morning.

Posted

Cheers, Glen. Wasn't sure if it was correct. Things that appear unbelievable cast doubt lol Going to be another cold one tonight, although when the wind chill picks up over the next few days, we'll really start to feel it more then.

Oh yes, wait for that Wind Chill Factor on Sunday/Monday...Ouch, thats going to be some cold felt right there...

Posted

I've got -12c on my Vista widget. Was -13c an hour ago.

This morning at 8.45 widget read -14c, by 11.15 it had jumped -3 but by 14.00 is was reading -8c!!!

Anyone know exactly how this works? Doesn't seem to pull in the reading from the Airport or Woodford which are the nearest stations, although being close enough the readings are often similar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Not sure if it's right - But my temp just shot up from -4.4c to -3.9c. ?? Not this again...

-4.0c now.

Posted

What the hell?! The temperature just plummeted here its now -6.0

Edited by thewirral

Posted

What the hell?! The temperature just plummeted here its now -6.0

Yes, mine did the same, theres that silly little breeze again preventing our temperatures from falling too far. On it's way down very fast again here now, I dont think it will be as frequent as last night, hopefully that breeze was a one off.

Posted

Stalled at -4.4c here... Pfft, thats tropical compared to manchester. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

The lowest so far this winter has been -8.4c which was recorded last week (it also equalled my previous lowest recorded about 4 yrs ago) , last night got to -8.1c , i did think it would be lower ...currently it's-8.3c ... i'm on tenterhooks :p :p..surely it must get lower

Edited by Spurry

Posted

The lowest so far this winter has been -8.4c which was recorded last week (it also equalled my previous lowest recorded about 4 yrs ago) , last night got to -8.1c , i did think it would be lower ...currently it's-8.3c ... i'm on tenterhooks :p :p..surely it must get lower

if anyone knows what the manchester airport temp is, then thats what it is here

its bone chillingly cold though, even more so than last night was at this stage, we recorded -15.5 last night, so wouldnt be surprised if we beat that tonight seeing as it was -9 a hour or so ago