Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Did anyone just see the BBC weather forecast....oh my lord....Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but the temps are looking margianal if they were correct - They showed 3c when the snow arrived!!

Posted

Yes, but the temps are looking margianal if they were correct - They showed 3c when the snow arrived!!

The beeb temps are always out of whack with what they actually are.

Posted

Just come back from Woodford. Car temp was showing minus 12 after 1 hour parked up away from buildings (pub car park)

Its actually quite local, becuase by the time I had driven back to my house in Bramhall (1.5 miles), it was up to minus 8. That was at 2100. Now my garage temp guage is showing minus 11.

This morning at 7am, I left home and the car was showing -12. By the time I hit the M60 at Stockport in was minus 10. At the top of Windy Hill (M62) it was postively tropical at minus 4.

Dianne Oxberry gave a very plausible explanation as to why Woodford is a cold spot. It is at the foot of the Peak District, and when what little wind there is is coming from the right direction, the cold air rolls down off the hills and pools around the open space of Woodford aerodrome.

Edited by Betsy

Posted

well im happy, found a outdoor thermometer in the shed, now outside so I dont have to rely on Woodford for local temps. Hopefully I'll be able to get my own "unofficial" reading (complete with picture)

Posted

thats usually the case, it's dropped here quite a bit too after a rise, whether it keeps falling without another rise is another thing.

I imagine the record temperature for your are would be around -12 to -15C

Thanks Stephen!

Holding steady at -5.8c - It must be getting ready to rise.

My god that band of snow over on the east as some intensity on it!

currently -9.7C and falling quite fast now.

How in holy hell are you 3.9c colder then me. Do you think the actual air temperature will be lower up at the park where the ground is more open?

Posted

The beeb temps are always out of whack with what they actually are.

Completely agree. BBC had Isle of Man at 0c tonight when I have currently have -4.2c showing!

Posted

Thanks Stephen!

Holding steady at -5.8c - It must be getting ready to rise.

How in holy hell are you 3.9c colder then me. Do you think the actual air temperature will be lower up at the park where the ground is more open?

we arent protected by anything, land is far more open than where you are, which would likely be because its a little built up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Temp holding steady at -9.1°C

Posted

I think by the time the showers move over us, they will be rather weak. The further south you are in the region the better.

Tomorrow afternoon onwards, should be interesting though as a bit of a breeze will help to push them over the Pennines. The fax chart for midnight tomorrow is juicy: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=fax;sess='>http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=fax;sess=

and still some snow showers on Saturday http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=fax;ses

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It seems the higher up you are the milder but this doesn't make sense because it's not exactly an inversion unless you're sitting on -10C right now

Posted

I think by the time the showers move over us, they will be rather weak. The further south you are in the region the better.

Tomorrow afternoon onwards, should be interesting though as a bit of a breeze will help to push them over the Pennines. The fax chart for midnight tomorrow is juicy: http://www.netweathe...;type=fax;sess=

and still some snow showers on Saturday http://www.netweathe...ts;type=fax;ses

Karyo

Its quite amazing how things can change quite readily in just a few hours time, from little chance to quite a big chance lol

Posted

And we're off - Plummeting again after a 0.2c rise. This is great stuff to watch, but i think we will achieve -10c by morning!

Posted

And we're off - Plummeting again after a 0.2c rise. This is great stuff to watch, but i think we will achieve -10c by morning!

Garston has hit -8.3C right by the Mersey and its still dropping quite fast there too. But then it is the coldest spot in Liverpool. Hope they got the gritters out there..by all accounts the roads there was treacherous yesterday.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Please take your bloody decorations down....... :cold:

Posted

Garston has hit -8.3C right by the Mersey and its still dropping quite fast there too. But then it is the coldest spot in Liverpool. Hope they got the gritters out there..by all accounts the roads there was treacherous yesterday.

Yet here, it's a tropical -5.6c :drunk:

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

-7.7 here now, sure it will beat -8.3 from last night

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted

Please take your bloody decorations down....... :drunk:

Those are easter decorations. :drunk:

Posted

I wonder if some sort of temperature inversion is going on especially by bodies of water..seems a little odd that places like Garston should regularly hit high minima's

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Never trust those BBC charts when they show precipitation, they seem to change them on an hourly basis, throwing up blobs of white on one forecast only for it to dissapear on the next, and they seem to be stuck on showing big white blobs hitting the Pennines and then just dissapearing or showers suddenly missing some areas but suddenly appearing again - there computer model doesn't seem to like Cumbria much at the moment showing bone dry weather and no chance of any precipitation.

As ever, watch out for short term developments with small trough features suddenly appearing in the next 48 hours. The snow band being shown for Sunday looks very odd, it seems to break in the middle with heavy stuff over N england and S England then lighter in the middle, yet the warnings are only for east england and at the same time temps are shown to be 3 degrees - there computer model for Sunday seems to have been corrupted.

Back to the here and now, very cold day I think we maxed at about -2 degrees after a low of -10 degrees. I note Shap was at -14 degrees a couple of hours ago, however, we may well have bottomed out so to speak with cloud building later in the night and some light snowfall in southern regions, indeed southern parts of the region are doing exceptionally snow wise at the moment, everything seems to just want to descend on the southern pennines.

I'm hoping we may catch a snow shower tomorrow night to give a bit of new cover, again Sunday shows the snow banging on our door but not getting any further, plenty of time for upgrades I feel on this, with snow risk building further north, those winds will certainly be strong enough to blow snow over the Pennines and with a more SE/E wind there will be less of a block preventing the snow from getting into the region especially in you live in the se of the region.