Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Aye it seems the cloud has broken up before it could get across the Pennines, may it's going be seriously cold tomorrow. With the advent of the cloud that was supposed to hit disappearing, the chance of -10C here really has risen now quite sharply.

Posted

It's currently -9.2 here in West Cheshire. I opened my window for a few minutes before and the inside window was frozen solid. All the snow here still remains, everywhere but on trees. It's quite nice to see the snow is actually still powdery! I hope we get more on Sunday/Monday... Here's to hoping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Cloud has really spoiled things here, rose all the way to a positively barmy -3.5°C earlier and only now dropping off again, -5.2°C atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

mornin...rare for me to switch on this thing so early but what a disappointment to find no more snow - but not surprised...R4 forecast, still on about ice being treacherous - NO!

well, here's to a good dumping over the weekend then...

Posted

....and another cold day begins. -10c at present, but before I went to bed it was -13c so I don't know how low it got here overnight.

I hear -21c in the Scottish Highlands.

Again the radar shows just exactly how those showers in the North East fizzle out into virtually nothing when they come up against the Pennines. Still roll on the weekend :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-7.6c lowest temp ive recorded at my location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

A new recording record for me overnight, -7.3cccccccccC the minimum!

Posted

a balmy -1.2c here :)

lying snow (or ice), just a light breeze

min overnight about -3c

Current data for Douglas - Isle of Man - GB

08 January 2010 08:44:50

Temperature (°C):

Current -1.2

Trend (per hour) +0.1

Average today -1.6

Wind chill -3.6

Heat index -1.2

Dew Point -3.4

Rel Humidity 85%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 7.8 N

Average Speed 4.1 NNW

Rainfall (mm):

Current rate 0.0

Last hour 0.0

Total today 0.0

Total yesterday 0.3

Total this month 6.9

Total this year 6.9

Pressure (hPa):

Current 1026.3

Trend (per hour) +0.9

Edited by Verglas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

-10.1c minimum here

Posted

-12 in Longridge again this morning cold.gif

Looking forward to going for an early morning walk tomorrow. Lets hope the projected mild breakdown for next week is wide of the mark.

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Cold night at work last night in Liverpool, at around 06.00 the temp at the pier head was -6.7c and it had a raw make your eyes water feel to it, even when we were skiing in Italy last year with the temp most days not getting above -0.5c and lows of -24c it didn't seem as cold as it does here in this cold spell .

Anyone got anyone got any idea how long this cold can last the models thread are talking about a possible brake down some time next week i hope this is not the case as i would love to see a winter record being set and to be able to say remember the winter off 2009&2010 .

Posted

Brrr!!!

I could certainly feel the cold when I stepped outside at 7:30am this morning. Penetrating. The -11C logged at Crosby is quite exceptional given its location.

Posted

Only got down to -12.0c last night. Altnaharra broke the -20c barrier, it was -22.1c there at 8am.

Edited by John_T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

overnight minimum -7.6c

after a rise to -6c now fallen back to -6.4c

Edited by james12

Posted

-12 in Longridge again this morning cold.gif

Looking forward to going for an early morning walk tomorrow. Lets hope the projected mild breakdown for next week is wide of the mark.

There will be no mild break down next week, no signals for it.models are continuing with the cold, infact some going for even colder next week. We'll have high pressure over towards Scandinavia with blocking in the Atlantic. High pressure is due to sprawl itself over the UK (Northern Scotland) and North West Norway, while a low slides over into Europe, and becomes a Twin Low, providing an emense amount of snow across Europe...the UK will be fed a very cold air source, winds from SE with potential for very significant snow fall for the south east (UK)..as for us ...as you where, only because we are expecting snow from a source that only ever delivers to the pennines (NE)..I am expecting nothing really from this system...we'll see I guess would be a nice thing tho with prolonged snow (even light) for 24/48 hours on an existing snow base.

I think we have at least another 10-12 days left (cold) if not more. GFS is a mild ramper non of the models are going for it which isn't that surprising..more colder weather to set in from the continent.

Temp -3.9C

Min - 11.3C

DP - 5.2C

Wind Dir: ENE

Wind Speed: 12 KMH

Wind Chill: -9C

Barometer: 1026.3 Steady

Garston

Min Temp -10.2C

Current Temp -3.4C

Liverpool Airport

Min Temp - 8.7C

Current Temp -2.7C

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

The showers over the North Sea, associated with a trough, are looking very healthy! According to the bbc forecast, they should reach our region by early evening. As always, some intensity will be lost, by the time they get here, but the east/northeasterly flow that is developing should hopefully mean that they'll have much better luck than the ones last night, that just fizzled out before reaching us.

Radar watching once again!

Some snow flurries can't be ruled out tomorrow, as for Sunday, the bbc forecast had the snow only on southern areas while the GFS is showing a snowy day!

Karyo