Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

It's thawing here now.

It`s freezing here. :p

The wind has still not moved to the east yet,NE or NNE but should move more E/NE later today.

GFS max temps tommorrow are freezing.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rtavn3617.png

Just been out and the snow is still drifting steadily higher up,even blowing off our roof when a small breeze comes we`re out of the wind here though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Heavy/moderate snow on and off for most of the day here, but NOTHING has settled. In fact, it is accelerating the thaw if anything.

Posted

the thaw is coming because its here.:whistling:

bristol drizzle cows drizzle.

looks like ne england and scotland getting battered tonight strong e ne winds and heavy snow coming out of the north sea.

You see that and I see sleet and drizzle. Where is this heavy precipitation coming from?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I might be straw clutching here but i'm not convinced that this cold is going to be displaced quite so easily..there are still some very low minima throughout the week and not so high maxima forecast,and the models are hinting at the HP to the east staying in position , it only needs it to come a few hundred miles to the west and we could have another bitterley cold spell all over again

Edited by Spurry

Posted

No sign of a thaw yet as we are at -10c with starry skies and Kinloss on the coast almost as low when I last looked. The main talking point here is the number of farm steadings where the roofs have collapsed due to the weight of snow with resulting problems for rehousing animals. Seems to be 1980s onwards buildings mainly where they didn"t design in heavy snowfall capabilities perhaps. Tesco in Keith was closed for a while while the roof was checked as it had 4 feet of snow on it. 21 whisky bonded warehouses in Keith also fell in, what a potential waste and they have been there for more than 40 years. Presumebly they now have security watching or there is a potential "Whisky Galore" in the making!

Posted

there's some major data probs tonight.radar temp overlay shows newcastle at -8c and the local council weather station shows Sunderland at 4.9c.chtist as heard about the north south divide before,but that is extreme lol.major thaw up here first time in 3 weeks thank god.

Posted

there's some major data probs tonight.radar temp overlay shows newcastle at -8c and the local council weather station shows Sunderland at 4.9c.chtist as heard about the north south divide before,but that is extreme lol.major thaw up here first time in 3 weeks thank god.

Thats some data problem, doubt Newcastle was that cold at 7pm and can tell you Washington(near enough to Sunderland) was probably not near 5C. If it was it would have felt a lot warmer. I reckon both are slightly offthe 4.9 might of been right at midday but the -8C will be point blanc wrong, used to live in Newcastle(well Gateshead but still) only a few days ago.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

The "mild" air has unfortunately crept into Altnaharra. At now -19c the good folks up there will soon be wearing t-shirts and turing the heating down :clap:

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

The "mild" air has unfortunately crept into Altnaharra. At now -19c the good folks up there will soon be wearing t-shirts and turing the heating down :angry:

and you think we are joking!!!

it has just gone to 0C here on the west coast on Skye and we are getting excited at the thought of a thaw, it has been bloew freezing for most of the day and night here now for four weeks, the south may have had alot of the snow, but the north has had all of the freezing bitterly cold conditions.

Posted

Sad to say but the UKMO today and yesterday have been a complete shambles! first warnings that imploded and not updated even when it was obvious that there was not going to be anything like the snow they forecasted and now they've sent out a message of a thaw which the media have been going on about all day and now much more snow than they suggested, talk of flurries has also imploded!

Heavy snow in the sw not forecast and not even highlighted even when it was actually happening, is there any communication between the ukmo and bbc presenters for nowcasting situations!

Posted

Couldn't agree more Nick - it has been a very poor 48 hours for them. Here in Kent we had very significant snowfall yesterday when folks were led to believe by BBC/UKMO that it was today that was the danger day. Suffice to say all we had were a few flurries of snow in the heavier showers and drizzle at other times.

Perhaps some of the skills in cold weather forecasting have been lost in the mainly mild winters of the last 22 years.

Edited by Kentish Man

Posted

Joe B from accuweather's take on the coming weeks

SUNDAY 6:00 PM LONDON TIME

WINTERS ICY GRIP TO RELEASE JAN 15-25, BUT BACK FOR FEB.

The physical drivers for the overall cold winter remains. The atlantic tripole, the warm, cold warm profile from the north atlantic to off the southeast US coast favors a negative nao. The central Pacific remains the focus of the nino. In addition the mei is similar to where it was it previous years when there was major cold over parts of Europe, but the problem is where.

I remain partial to 02-03 which had a nasty February, however as bad as the first half of Jan has been over the northwest part of Europe, I think February will have the worse part of winter relative to averages from Germany eastward into Russia. There is likely to be more cold further southeast than there has been. The message is that winter, which will retreat over the continent to some degree in its severity will return but the worst will be over in the northwest compared to the areas targeted. So the Battle of Britain and Francemag-glass_10x10.gif this winter, while not over, will be more of a skirmish than what it has been.

Now let me clear. If it had not been so bad, lets say it had been as Hadley had said, I would be telling you that February would be a wintery month. But I dont think relative to the 30 days ending 15 Jan, it will be able to compete. So when reading this, I have to rely on you to understand.. there are two things that I am trying to draw attention too, what it should be in relation to normal and what it has been. And by the way I think Feb 15-Mar 14 is as cold as Jan 15-Feb 14... as the reload may mean some ugly weather deep into March.

So winter is not over..but the current siege will let up. I will be updating you as I can a firm handle, but if I am going to tell you when its going to get brutal before it does, I owe it to you to tell you when it will get warmer. I cant answer email on specific sites as this is a general column to show the generalities of the pattern and to make the major points.. like this winter was not going to be a walk in the park, at least not one without overcoats and snow boots

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Is English even his second language?

Listening to Philip Eden on Today this morning, I wouldn't be expecting anything wintry in nature beyond Wednesday, as we head into next week.

Posted

Lord help us if Joe Bs right, the kids are now into their 6th day off just because of some light sleet and despite a pretty rapid thaw. If they’re worried about a bit of snow on the ground, get them in and give them some shovels.