Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

J10

Things have quietened down at the moment with some very low perhaps record breaking temperatures likely for tonight.

Will there be further snow across this weekend.

Well this is the place to discuss the above and more.

Posted

Quote: "It's not the case in the UK. In fact, you are taking a theoretical legal risk if you clear the pavement in front of your home.It'sthe local authority's responsibility to clear snow and ice from the public highway.

By sweeping snow from one part of the pavement to another, if done in a manner that caused injury to someone, there is a chance legal action could be taken against you under the part of the law known as "tort of nuisance". But, Paul Kitson, a partner with leading personal injury solicitors Russell Jones & Walker, explains that a claimant would have to show you had acted either maliciously or carelessly, and that such a case would often be tricky in practice."....... there you go..:o

Edited by NickSomerset

Posted

Wholly agree with you. The issue is at the moment if you did and black ice formed, causing somebody to fall over, you'd have the ambulance chasers after you

Even if safeguards were put in against that sort of thing i'm sure some of these ambulance chasers would find a way around it. What a sad world we live in

SK

Hi mate,

looking like a dead cert about Sunday,but many different opinion's from Broadcast tv and web sites on quantity..

Any thought's yourself on depth's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Thanks Jackone!

Was getting a bit long the other one!

Anyways, with the regards the milk topic, when I stopped for petrol earlier the Somerfield attached had sold out of every type of milk... not sure if there's a story there...:o

Posted

Just got back from sainsburys in dartmouth,No sign of any panick buying ,Infact no sign of anybody only three cars in the carpark,Temp is now at -5.5 and falling cold.gif

Posted

Quote: "It's not the case in the UK. In fact, you are taking a theoretical legal risk if you clear the pavement in front of your home

It's the local authority's responsibility to clear snow and ice from the

public highway. By sweeping snow from one part of the pavement to

another, if done in a manner that caused injury to someone, there is a

chance legal action could be taken against you under the part of the

law known as "tort of nuisance". But, Paul Kitson, a partner

with leading personal injury solicitors Russell Jones & Walker,

explains that a claimant would have to show you had acted either maliciously or carelessly, and that such a case would often be tricky in practice."....... there you go. wacko.gif

Oh good, tort.

How do you sweep snow maliciously? Might have to try that one!

Posted

Thanks Jackone!

Anyways, with the regards the milk topic, when I stopped for petrol earlier the Somerfield attached had sold out of every type of milk... not sure if there's a story there...:o

there is a lot of panic buying...was on the news

Posted

WeatherBug now going for -8.0°c in Trowbridge...

Must've been a slight blip earlier with the -0.2°c reading! :o

Posted

What is this obsession with milk?!

Well its a funny substance... its white .. :o

and is used for various things like putting in tea/coffee.. used to make milky pudding's, scrambled eggs, omelettes. put on cereal. er um mash potatoes. :o

my obsession is tea, and if i havent got any milk i cant have my tea which make me :clap:... Seems to be one of the things shops run out of first. you would think they would have learned by now.

temps down to -8 now :clap:

kaz

Posted

Oh good, tort.

How do you sweep snow maliciously? Might have to try that one!

beat it to within a inch of it's life lol

Posted

Thanks Jackone!

Anyways, with the regards the milk topic, when I stopped for petrol earlier the Somerfield attached had sold out of every type of milk... not sure if there's a story there...:lol:

Must be some really thirsty people out there :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Right, I nearly froze... then nearly slipped over in my Ugg boots, but I did it and the temp is plumetting... now to the dizzy heights of -1.1c! :yahoo:

Posted

beat it to within a inch of it's life lol

:yahoo:

I might get some odd looks...

Posted

Right, I nearly froze... then nearly slipped over in my Ugg boots, but I did it and the temp is plumetting... now to the dizzy heights of -1.1c! :yahoo:

Ugg Boots, snow issue mountain climber types?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

there is a lot of panic buying...was on the news

No shiznit! I went to the shop to get some break and milk ( i just ran out , not panic buying )

and had to try 3 shops before i could find bread !!!!

Posted

Best thing to do is not bother sweeping the snow away from you drive me thinks.Lost count of the amount of times i almost went over after having to walk down hill with me bike.Not slipping on the snow itself but people who have gritted/put salt down on there drive only for it to refreeze the next night.Should nt be allowed.And also 4x 4 drivers who drive fast covering u in melted slush as they go by.No considertion to little me on my mountain bike at all.Anyway rant over currently -5 now its a lot colder than last night god knows what its going to get to by the morning

Posted

Right, I nearly froze... then nearly slipped over in my Ugg boots, but I did it and the temp is plumetting... now to the dizzy heights of -1.1c! biggrin.gif

Step in the right direction!

Thats the temp... not your slipping over. :yahoo:

Ugg boots, hmm coming from Australia do they work in the snow? :lol:

Posted

Things have quietened down at the moment with some very low perhaps record breaking temperatures likely for tonight.

Will there be further snow across this weekend.

Well this is the place to discuss the above and more.

Hi, new poster here - I have watched as a guest for ages but now have a serious question re the coming weekend.

As I understand it we have a wedge of mild air coming in from the channel, above some very cold air at ground level.

Is that likely to create freezing rain conditions? If so are these the sorts of conditions which will or could cause severe icing of power lines and rai ltracks? My understanding is that it is that sort of scenario which has in the past caused widespread power failure that proves challenging to electricty supply companies and the care authorities alike.

Posted

Hi mate,

looking like a dead cert about Sunday,but many different opinion's from Broadcast tv and web sites on quantity..

Any thought's yourself on depth's

Hi mate,

Very tricky one to call this. id certainly say looking at the modelling at present around 5-10cms likely across a swathe of southern england but the main issue for me at the moment is the models just wont be picking up the convection at the moment - try as people might to convince me I just don't think the GFS has got at all to grips with precipitation until within 12 hours, and its not high resolution enough even then to pick up on convection. Its not really until we see the NAE for sunday that I think we will have a better grip on the situation

So for the moment you have to say 5-10cms more....though i have a sneaky suspicion it could be nearer 20 once the high res models pick up on things, bearing in mind we are looking likely to see some 24-36 hours of snowfall potential

Ian would be able to clear things up a bit with the models he has access to though i'm sure he is absolutely knackered at the moment and taking a breather!

Kind Regards

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Hi, new poster here - I have watched as a guest for ages but now have a serious question re the coming weekend.

As I understand it we have a wedge of mild air coming in from the channel, above some very cold air at ground level.

Is that likely to create freezing rain conditions? If so are these the sorts of conditions which will or could cause severe icing of power lines and rai ltracks? My understanding is that it is that sort of scenario which has in the past caused widespread power failure that proves challenging to electricty supply companies and the care authorities alike.

With regards to freezing rain,

It shouldnt be too much of an issue.

The upper air temps are progged to be -5 i think. And from what i understand its too low for freezing rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Ugg Boots, snow issue mountain climber types?

No! Couldnt be bothered to change into my wellies! :lol:

Posted

Tellum tis an old devon customrofl.gif

Ah, one of those!

Most people around here have lived in Devon far longer than I've even been alive... in alot of cases longer than this house has been here... and that was the 1920's...