Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

ICICLES

Right by the side of the pc is a window icicles visible through the window haning from the eaves just above. I've lived here 20 years and never seen this. They are growing by the day. The interesting point looking at them as I type is that the right hand one is alread 2-3 inches longer than it was yesterday-1 hour ago it swas dripping almost every second now (1326) its dripping almost not at all- the highest air temp(indicated) was -0.4C its now -0.6C.

Below are a three shots, two through the window and from from the ground of them

well start again!

Anyone else finding the forum slow to respond today?

anyway here are the 3 photos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Talking of icicles, i've noticed some alarming ice formation on the bathroom fall pipe of the for sale house next door:

post-4333-12630448880442_thumb.jpgpost-4333-12630449286542_thumb.jpg

Don't know whether it is as good idea to phone the estate agent and let them know as there is water running under the ice down the wall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Hehe I hate to blow my own trumpet but... whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif look at the latest warnings...

I refer you to post#203 earlier todaywhistling.gif The wind fresheneth here in kirkburton.Interesting 48 hours ahead.

Edited by winterof79

Posted

More recent sat image.Take a look at all that PPN out off our coast. Also the front moving up from the SE tell me there is no snow in that lot.i wonder if the Beeb are underplaying this a little or the image is misleading in the fact that the heavier ppn is buried somewhere in the middle...........i guess a good radar image would work that one out.LO

Edited by Lincs Observation

Posted

More recent sat image.Take a look at all that PPN out off our coast. Also the front moving up from the SE tell me there is no snow in that lot.i wonder if the Beeb are underplaying this a little or the image is misleading in the fact that the heavier ppn is buried somewhere in the middle...........i guess a good radar image would work that one out.LO

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/europe.html

Look at all that moving NNW too us from Amsterdam :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

If i may,i would refer one and all to PJBs latest synoptic update on UKWW.An enthralling and knowledgeable insight into the next seven days and as to how our next snow event developed.The media in this country WILL have something to talk nonsense about by Thursday,believe me.clap.gif

Hi everyone, had snow showers on and off but nothing too significant. Still have a slight dusting though biggrin.gif

post-5487-12630424441142_thumb.jpg

Nice to see your doing your bit for the carbon footprint mallarcy by driving to your ski chaletlaugh.gif Only jesting Brian.Good to see that amount of snowfall.We have 4-5".Hoping for the same tomorrow evening.

Posted

A relative newbie to all of this chart analysis etc but finding it fairly interesting! In comparison to the armageddon'esque news reporting at the start of last week with regards to the extreme weather forecast the south of the country, there seem's to be a calm and casual approach to the next few days for our area. Especially since in some places, 20 - 30 cm of lying snow will certainly become over 100cm in places. Exciting stuff indeed!

Anyway, clouds gathering now in south lincolnshire. Hopefully my snow shield won't be working this evening! :clap:

Posted

Aaaarghh, look who made it into the local newspaper this week - centre stage....

Those stripes on my shirt look like tightly packed isobars!! Should have had a word with them about airbrushing my 2nd chin!!

gobby :blink:

post-801-12630493468242_thumb.jpg

Edited by gobbyash

Posted

Met Office severe weather warnings in force for much of our region covering tomorrow nights potential snow event.

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/em/em_forecast_warnings.html

A good top for many i suspect :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Look's like all the main routes into the peak district from Sheffield are going to be cut off soon i have just been up to fox house the wind is whipping up the snow and has buried the walls the snow is now blowing onto the roads i dare say it won't be long before the roads get completely blocked.

I know from previous experience how bad it can get after getting stuck up at Owler bar after a lorry had jacknifed and hit the snow drift that had blocked the road, mountain rescue had to dig us out would you believe.

Posted

Met Office severe weather warnings in force for much of our region covering tomorrow nights potential snow event.

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/em/em_forecast_warnings.html

A good top for many i suspect :)

Music to my ears Mark :D

Look's like all the main routes into the peak district from Sheffield are going to be cut off soon i have just been up to fox house the wind is whipping up the snow and has buried the walls the snow is now blowing onto the roads i dare say it won't be long before the roads get completely blocked.

I know from previous experience how bad it can get after getting stuck up at Owler bar after a lorry had jacknifed and hit the snow drift that had blocked the road, mountain rescue had to dig us out would you believe.

Absolutely right! I live in Dronfield and I bet the route over the hills towards Bakewell and Buxton will be cut off very soon. I think Buxton is pretty much buried even now! :D

Posted

It's snowing again in Lincoln - the sky is beginning to look like more persistent snow rather than the showers we'be been having all day. Temps hovering around 0 dew much lower at -5. What's the chance of big snow disrupting the Monday morning rush hour in Lincoln?

Posted

looking at the forecast and warnings it looks like us down here are going to miss out on the good stuff tonight and tomorrow.

I've thought that on several occassions,during this cold spell, only to be pleasantly suprised.

You just never know, sparky. You may be in prime position :wallbash:

Posted

The latest GFS looks amazing for us for tomorrow, for some areas the snow will start of at 9am on Sunday Morning, lasting all the way till Monday night/ Tuesday morning, that could be 18-48 hours of snowfall! For eastern areas it could be marginal but these kind of situations can bring surprises.

It looks like 20-30 cm of snow could fall in some places, leading to depths of over 60cm! (I wonder who forecast 50cmwhistling.gif )

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yeah another crap day of snowfall. Nothing but very light snow showers, zero to get excited about.

Posted

The latest GFS looks amazing for us for tomorrow, for some areas the snow will start of at 9am on Sunday Morning, lasting all the way till Monday night/ Tuesday morning, that could be 18-48 hours of snowfall! For eastern areas it could be marginal but these kind of situations can bring surprises.

It looks like 20-30 cm of snow could fall in some places, leading to depths of over 60cm! (I wonder who forecast 50cmwhistling.gif )

Now that would be exciting :) Do you mean some places in yorkshire starting by 9am? (Leeds)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm working on Monday & Tuesday. Hope most of the snow comes Sunday!!!!! :)

As for this: post-4333-12630527872942_thumb.jpg, I phoned the estate agent and they will send someone to have a look. I hope it's nothing serious as it is a cracking house and a shame if it's ruined by a burst pipe.

Posted

Nothing more than light flurries in the last few hours,although it feels very cold in the wind :)

It's a strange atmosphere today; there seems to be a lot more cloud in-between the showers. It's probably because we have more of an Easterly flow than on previous days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Aaaarghh, look who made it into the local newspaper this week - centre stage....

Those stripes on my shirt look like tightly packed isobars!! Should have had a word with them about airbrushing my 2nd chin!!

gobby laugh.gif

We all get our 15 minutes of fame, but The Beverley Guardian? Come on....

Saw the pics this am and laughed clap.gif

Posted

I'm working on Monday & Tuesday. Hope most of the snow comes Sunday!!!!! :whistling:

As for this: post-4333-12630527872942_thumb.jpg, I phoned the estate agent and they will send someone to have a look. I hope it's nothing serious as it is a cracking house and a shame if it's ruined by a burst pipe.

It's appear to me that it's one of the old metal pipes, which are usually replaced with the plastic type, these days.

IMO, it shouldn't be an expensive repair at all.

It does look spectacular with all that ice though :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Absolutely right! I live in Dronfield and I bet the route over the hills towards Bakewell and Buxton will be cut off very soon. I think Buxton is pretty much buried even now! :cold:

My Mum and Dad live in Dronfield it's just starting to snow again here. :cold: