Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hey Tinker,

It's looking very promising tonight and during the early hours as we pick up an ENE wind. The North Sea is packed with showers and judging by the latest satellite imagery there is a lot on the way, whether or not that shower hits us is another thing, but i doubt it. Just keep looking East/North East now smile.gif

Lewis

Thanks again, you should go after Paul Hudsons job. Im dreading the walk into work tomorrow and after this evening im reluctant to take the car because of the grid lock in and around Hull. My main concern is if i get into work and take the car and we have a repeat of tonight again i will be stuck. So not sure what to do.cc_confused.gif

Posted

Just started snowing here again- we got about 4inch this afternoon on top of the 2inch we got last night.

Posted

just stopped snowing. looks like a lot is coming into the region now too.

oh yes, today at 6th form was quiz day lol and the quiz is to do with things from the news each weekdry.gif and one of the questions was something like this:

the uk is having one of its longest and coldest spell of winter for a number of decades, but can you name the two post war coldest winters which brought extreme conditions to the entire uk? well i straight away new the answers 47 and 63, but i waited to see who could answer it and surprisingly almost 60 percent of the class got into a disucssion saying it was 47 and 63. i was shocked at the amount of people who knew the answer as you wouldn't think they would know. normal people who don't follow weather usually see every winter as very cold even 2007 winter which was one of the mildest, i bet people would have complained of the cold, because thats what people are like, but i guess people now know, who don't follow the weather just now no how very cold and severe it can be and understand why it is one of the coldest winters so far for many years.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

Thanks again, you should go after Paul Hudsons job. Im dreading the walk into work tomorrow and after this evening im reluctant to take the car because of the grid lock in and around Hull. My main concern is if i get into work and take the car and we have a repeat of tonight again i will be stuck. So not sure what to do.cc_confused.gif

I'm afraid i don't have the qualifications to do a Job like Paul Hudson's, but tbh if you can read the charts, have a huge interest since you was 5 year's old you should be able to apply :p. I was going to do A level geography but i only did geography and science at GCSE, i got a A and B respectively.

Anyhow, tomorrow should start cold and windy with a fair few showers, as the late afternoon and evening wears on they won't be much in the way of showers.

lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

just stopped snowing. looks like a lot is coming into the region now too.

oh yes, today at 6th form was quiz day lol and the quiz is to do with things from the news each weekdry.gif and one of the questions was something like this:

the uk is having one of its longest and coldest spell of winter for a number of decades, but can you name the two post war coldest winters which brought extreme conditions to the entire uk? well i straight away new the answers 47 and 63, but i waited to see who could answer it and surprisingly almost 60 percent of the class got into a disucssion saying it was 47 and 63. i was shocked at the amount of people who knew the answer as you wouldn't think they would know. normal people who don't follow weather usually see every winter as very cold even 2007 winter which was one of the mildest, i bet people would have complained of the cold, because thats what people are like, but i guess people now know, who don't follow the weather just now no how very cold and severe it can be and understand why it is one of the coldest winters so far for many years.

Oh don't expect them to remember this for very long. Ask them again at Easter and see how many still remember.

Edited by rikki

Posted

I sense a humber streamer on it's way smile.gif

Will this streamer affect us here in Grimsby, missed out on the fun and games that you had earlier on (lucky thing)?

Posted

Will this streamer affect us here in Grimsby, missed out on the fun and games that you had earlier on (lucky thing)?

Depends if its forms yet, but the winds are becoming favourable and theres some energy just from the Mouth of the Humber.

lewis

Posted

i hope so it seems to be that grimsby/cleethorpes keeps missing out on the fun whistling.gif

Posted

lol i think many remember feb last year though. people bring it up every now and then.mellow.gif radar looks great ATM

Well even I could have gave you those dates, but only because BBC did a special report yesterday with film footage of those years. lol

So maybe thats how they knew.

Posted

i hope so it seems to be that grimsby/cleethorpes keeps missing out on the fun whistling.gif

It is very frustrating at times isn't it! Mind you went for a walk with the dog about an hour ago and we have had very little thaw here considering we were above freezing for most of the day. Lets hope we see more showers this weekend.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

My Dad says the sky is heavy and imminent snow is on the way here....

Posted

It is very frustrating at times isn't it! Mind you went for a walk with the dog about an hour ago and we have had very little thaw here considering we were above freezing for most of the day. Lets hope we see more showers this weekend.drinks.gif

just melting on the roofs in the sun, in the garden no melting at alldrinks.gif just got to hope the east winds bring the showers home whistling.gif

Posted

My Dad says the sky is heavy and imminent snow is on the way here....

I know, the radar is so good for us, makes a change. http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ We have plenty of snow to comedrinks.gif .

Posted

Thankfully this current crop of snow showers will slide by to the west of us. we already have a foot of the stuff lying around and I'm fed up of shovelling it and running out of space to shovel it to. :cold:

Posted

Thankfully this current crop of snow showers will slide by to the west of us. we already have a foot of the stuff lying around and I'm fed up of shovelling it and running out of space to shovel it to. mad.gif

Just think though, when the thaw does arrive you will have piles of snow for ages!!

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

Well even I could have gave you those dates, but only because BBC did a special report yesterday with film footage of those years. lol

i missed that sad.gif i reckon they will do a documentary on this winter at the end of the winter and compare to other winters, like they did with the snowstorms in feb last year, looking back now, that documentary was pointless compared to what some have experience since mid december. we have had 3 major falls of snow this winter of what i can really remember. Might just be me, but theres seems to be little hype on how last year saw the worst snow for 2 decades and then a year on its potentially the worst winter since 78/79.i had a feeling however that this winter would be another cold one, but wasn't expecting all this snow. this is my 23rd day of snow lying would you believe it and we have had over 10 snowfalls. unbelievableshok.gif we havent had rain here since 15thdecember and nearest to rain wehad is sleet which turned to snow eventually when that warm fornt came down form the north a week or so ago.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

Snowing lightly again in DN11.

Posted

Looks like a bit more snow for us coming up! been going south/north of us most of evening!

Posted

Thankfully this current crop of snow showers will slide by to the west of us. we already have a foot of the stuff lying around and I'm fed up of shovelling it and running out of space to shovel it to. mad.gif

my mum keeps shovelling the snow on our footpath and there is so much of it piled up i don't know why people bother, ok for cars, but i told not to bother because it will just keep snowing.