Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Paul Blight on UKww has just commented that there is an issue with the algorithm that calculates precip, and when it's light will incorrectly model it as rain/sleet etc instead of snow.

Should of said, eastern coastline

And hence the fact that sometimes the BBC graphics show rain but the more experienced forecasters ignore it I guess!

Paul Blight on UKww has just commented that there is an issue with the algorithm that calculates precip, and when it's light will incorrectly model it as rain/sleet etc instead of snow.

Should of said, eastern coastline

Dave - Whats your feelings on tonight- Ive just run the satelite loop out of france & whilst francis Wilson is commenting on 5-6 inches I must admit i do have some doubts over that forecast-

Convective development looks rather inhibited now moving westwards across the region-

Steve

I have just walked back from Woodingdean to top of Elm Grove in Brighton. Was snowing heavily around 4.30 and near blizzard conditions on the top of the hills with drifting of the lying snow from the fields. Very spectacular.

For those of you who know the area, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Warren Road between Brighton and Woodingdean completely blocked by mid-evening because of the falling snow and blowing snow.

Really? Wicked. I remember 1987 there - completely blocked and once cleared the snow lay piled up on the side of the road for days and days. Also Falmer Road from Woodingdean to Falmer - I actually remember road closed signs at the top of woodingdean when it was closed because of the drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

Francis Wilson chief weather forecaster just interviewed on Sky News said that the SE including London will get 4 to 5 inches with drifts of a few feet. He thinks slightly milder conditions may come in next Sat/Sun, but the ppn from the West will be preceded by snow.

Francis has snow for the SE on Sunday to Tuesday.

4-5 inches for London?! HAHAHAHAHA yeah right, whatever :p:lol::p

Posted

Still snowing heavily near top of Bluebell Hill - it's been going for a couple of hours now. Just off out (on foot) to pick up a takeaway - wish me luck :p

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

STEVE MURR

Met office and Sky going for colder temps tomorrow , 1s and 0's even 0 at dover... Is the colder air due back tomorrow?

Posted

ok its defen over for us in east kent for sure

What makes you say that tornadica? The radar looks quite good over you?

Posted

Still snowing heavily near top of Bluebell Hill - it's been going for a couple of hours now. Just off out (on foot) to pick up a takeaway - wish me luck :wacko:

Mmm snow and takeaway does it get any better.

Light snow again here!

STEVE MURR

Met office and Sky going for colder temps tomorrow , 1s and 0's even 0 at dover... Is the colder air due back tomorrow?

Nope- Not until you get back in a continental feed ( this milder air- more especially 'saturated dewpoints' really is initally reservced for the FAR NE of the region, however I think you will be close enough to sit above the 0.5c threshold-

Wait for the drips..........

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Can anyone please please reassure me snow tonight? Tonbridge has been a damp squib today...

Posted

just watched latest bbc forecast. puts another 7/8 inches tonight over surrey and neighbouring counties (mainly to the east). We currently have 5/6 inches on the floor in and around Guildford. Going to get DEEP!

its also currently snowing here moderately from the 1st trough, so far only around 1/2 cm but slowly building though this will cease before the main front will hit.

Posted

Dave - Whats your feelings on tonight- Ive just run the satelite loop out of france & whilst francis Wilson is commenting on 5-6 inches I must admit i do have some doubts over that forecast-

Convective development looks rather inhibited now moving westwards across the region-

Steve

I pretty much concur with Paul Blight, up on our front end with snow depths etc http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Not sure the radar is entirely accurate , we should be under atleast moderate sleet but nothing is falling out of the sky

Excellent. I'm in the 15 - 20cm bracket

Jan

Can someone save that image & post it- as I cant get UKWW at work-

Just quickly- its JUST the far NE corner of Kent & SE Essex that are suceptable to the higher dewpoints- eventually ( over a day down the line ) that does filter westwards into kent)

Steve

Posted

Did you? We only had about 1cm

drove through romford ,brentwood and chelmsford so i enjoyed all theres too :pardon:

aree we out of the running for tonight i take it? have seen no mnetion of essex on here again.

Posted

Can someone save that image & post it- as I cant get UKWW at work-

Just quickly- its JUST the far NE corner of Kent & SE Essex that are suceptable to the higher dewpoints- eventually ( over a day down the line ) that does filter westwards into kent)

Steve

Expected.jpg